News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

what could enable my FJ to start without using the choke???????????

Started by racerman_27410, June 20, 2009, 11:00:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

racerman_27410

new jets, float height set (but not fuel level)   bike runs strong and pulls cleanly..... no fuel running out the overflow tubes but when  i pull the carbs there is wet fuel inside the carb joints..... mileage aint the best but i have been know to twist the throttle a bit.

bike never started without choke before.

BTW i am running the jetting recommended by Andy and Ken for my motor.

could fuel level be affecting this?

KOokaloo!

Frank

SlowOldGuy

Frank,
I would think the only way a stone cold motor would start with no choke would be if 'unmetered' raw fuel is getting into the intake.  High fuel level, leaking, and/or excessive pressure could contribute.  

None of my bikes will start without choke.  That's even in 100+ temps.

Are you using the flatslide carbs?  What do the plugs look like?

DavidR.

racerman_27410

David,

Ken wanted me to run the stock carbs since they went to all the trouble to rebuild Brutus again.

there is fuel puddling inside the carb joints... i'm gonna check that fuel level..... do you think having the rear end jacked up so high is causing the fuel level to be too high in the front side of the float bowls?

i'm gonna pull the plugs and see  what they look like.

Frank

Harvy

Quote from: racerman_27410 on June 21, 2009, 09:03:14 AM
David,

do you think having the rear end jacked up so high is causing the fuel level to be too high in the front side of the float bowls?

Frank

Frank.. that sounds like a good possibility.......just been looking at the intake manifolds....... you could possibly get away with machining the cylinder side at an appropriate angle, re-groove for the o-ring.......  just a thought.

Harvy :mail1: :mail1:
FJZ1 1200 - It'll do me just fine.
Timing has much to do with the success of a rain dance.

Yamifj1200

Frank raise your fuel levels a tad and see if that helps......

Eric M

http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=14833.0

"All unattended children will be served an espresso and given a puppy"

racerman_27410

Quote from: Yamifj1200 on June 21, 2009, 07:00:18 PM
Frank raise your fuel levels a tad and see if that helps......

Eric M

Dont cha mean lower the fuel levels?...... there is definitely raw fuel getting into the intake boots.... float valves seal up and nothing coming out the overflow tubes

Yamifj1200

OOooooops I stand corrected.... :wacko3: you sir are correct!!!!!!!! :good2:

http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=14833.0

"All unattended children will be served an espresso and given a puppy"

racerman_27410

no.... you had the right answer you were just dsylexic in writing it...... :dance2:

RichBaker

I start my '90 every day in summer without the choke, I have since I bought her with 2300 miles on the clock.....she idles a little slow, ~800RPM, but she runs fine.

Quote from: SlowOldGuy on June 20, 2009, 11:18:58 PM
Frank,
I would think the only way a stone cold motor would start with no choke would be if 'unmetered' raw fuel is getting into the intake.  High fuel level, leaking, and/or excessive pressure could contribute.  

None of my bikes will start without choke.  That's even in 100+ temps.

Are you using the flatslide carbs?  What do the plugs look like?

DavidR.
Rich Baker - NRA Life, AZCDL, Trail Riders of S. AZ. , AMA Life, BRC, HEAT Dirt Riders, SAMA....
Tennessee Squire
90 FJ1200, 03 WR450F ;8^P

racerman_27410

Latest inspection.......

raw fuel in the carb joints and all inside the carb throat.... plugs are black and wet.

i'm gonna try lowering the fuel level and see how it goes..... whats the recommended fuel level?

KOokaloo!

Frank

Harvy

2.5mm to 3.5mm on an '86.......but that's with the carbs level front to back and side to side......you will probably have to make allowance for your jacked up swingarm.

Harvy
FJZ1 1200 - It'll do me just fine.
Timing has much to do with the success of a rain dance.

racerman_27410

Quote from: Harvy on June 22, 2009, 09:03:47 PM
2.5mm to 3.5mm on an '86.......but that's with the carbs level front to back and side to side......you will probably have to make allowance for your jacked up swingarm.

Harvy

where is that measured from?  i've never had cause to mess with the fuel level before.

Frank

RichBaker

Measured from the upper gasket surface of the carb body. Run a clear line from the drain, up and see where the fuel is... you'll have to open the drain screw 1st.
Rich Baker - NRA Life, AZCDL, Trail Riders of S. AZ. , AMA Life, BRC, HEAT Dirt Riders, SAMA....
Tennessee Squire
90 FJ1200, 03 WR450F ;8^P

the fan

Here is how it is done on my YZF, yours should be similar.

and here is a simplified drawing I did at one point....

Hope this helps clear things up.

Of course you could ask George over at Yahoo.

racerman_27410

Quote from: the fan on June 23, 2009, 02:52:08 PM

Of course you could ask George over at Yahoo.

ask advice from one who has been passed...... by a harley... in a corner ?????????????????????????????????????????????????????
????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????   :lol:

that's funny stuff right there......thanks but no thanks on that one.

i believe i can figure it out now.... thanks for the pictures  :biggrin: