News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

what could enable my FJ to start without using the choke???????????

Started by racerman_27410, June 20, 2009, 11:00:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SlowOldGuy

The carbs (or bike) do not need to be level (front-to-back) for an accurate fuel level measurement.  Just make sure you measure the level at the middle of the bowl.  The level will pivot about the center of the bowl.  Of course, the side-to-side needs to be level.

Frank,
Try making a big adjustment to see if that's even the problem.  You can always back off on it.

DavidR.

Harvy

Frank, Clymers manual says the clear tube should be 6mm id.

Harvy
FJZ1 1200 - It'll do me just fine.
Timing has much to do with the success of a rain dance.

racerman_27410

float level was way off..... 18.3mm

i reset them to factory spec of 22.3mm

fuel level worked out to about 2.8mm with this setting

bike is running much crisper now

i had to reset my idle as it jumped up a bit with this change.

i'm going to give it a try in the morning and see if it will start without the choke.

KOokaloo!

Frank

Harvy

racerman_27410

well the FJ will still start up without the choke...... the fuel level is right.... float height is right...... nothing coming out the overflow tubes (and they are clear i tested them)

crap!

what next Gentlemen?

the fan

This may sound wrong, but try installing a set of pilots 2-3 sized smaller than stock.

With the big bores and high compression you are pulling considerably more vacuum than a stock bike. the result of this may be that you are atomizing the fuel drawn through the low speed circuits into much finer particles. this gives the fuel a greater surface area and therefore a richer mixture. Ultimately the solution may lie in the air jet, but changing the pilot should help shoew what is going on.

don't laugh. I ran into this a few times on heavily modified offroad bikes and ATV's.

racerman_27410

Bill,

I know exactly what you're talking about.... ran into the same issue when i installed the big bore kit on my DRZ along with the FCR39..... i actually had to run smaller jets than recommended for stock engine in order to lean out the mix.

i already have 37.5 pilots in (down from the 42.5 that Andy and Ken sent me)..... think i should drop them on down smaller?

my question ...... what is the cause of the wet/raw fuel in the intake tracts?

this shit sucks..... i just wanna ride

the fan

OK, you have fuel puddling in the carb throat but no fuel coming out of the overflows.

Correct?

That really sounds like the fuel level is still too high. Forget what I said about the pilots for now, and raise the float height/lower the level by 3mm or so. The floats pivot at the rear of the carbs. If you have raised the back/lowered the front enough, it might be enough to flood the pilot circuit with the stock float height.

I would be really suprised if this was it, but its possible.

BTW your map is wrong. I have proof that you wewre in indiana.....

racerman_27410

LOL PRoof?????

indiana is just white  ...... the map is gonna be updated big time when Eric and i get back from glacier.

BTW Andy is sending me his known good set of carbs to try.  while i will ship my know not so good carbs to him..... sounds like a fair trade to me :drinks:

thanks for your help brother,

Frank

the fan

Quote from: racerman_27410 on June 26, 2009, 07:26:34 PM

LOL PRoof?????

indiana is just white  ...... the map is gonna be updated big time when Eric and i get back from glacier.

So is that in honor of the hoosiers "klannish" background? I mean the place is dull, but it at least rates pink...come on, Micheal Jackson and Axle Rose both came from Gary Indiana, The Hoosier states own little rust belt....

rktmanfj

Quote from: the fan on June 26, 2009, 11:03:33 PM
Quote from: racerman_27410 on June 26, 2009, 07:26:34 PM

LOL PRoof?????

So is that in honor of the hoosiers "klannish" background? I mean the place is dull, but it at least rates pink...come on, Micheal Jackson and Axle Rose both came from Gary Indiana, The Hoosier states own little rust belt....

Axl Rose is from Lafayette, as is Izzy Stradlin (aka Jeff Isbell).  David Lee Roth is from Bloomington.

Randy T
Indy

Harvy

Frank.......what progress on the problem of fuel in excess?

Harvy

86fj1200

I had the same issue after I sync'd my carbs. it runs a little rich but at least i'm not burning up pistons.
I even out drag'd my boys 05 GSXR today, actully everytime i race him. lol
Scott

1986 FJ1200
1992 XJ600

racerman_27410

Quote from: Harvy on July 01, 2009, 04:56:27 PM
Frank.......what progress on the problem of fuel in excess?

Harvy

Harvy,

no more issues since i installed a known good set of carbs.... dont know what's wrong with my original set but am suspecting worn emulsion tubes.

Frank