News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Removed her heart...

Started by Flynt, December 31, 2011, 10:03:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flynt

Quote from: JMR on October 07, 2013, 07:52:04 AM
I find the Factory 997 charts interesting as it plots point to point over 1000 RPM intervals apparently with a lot of smoothing.

Fair enough on the sudden throttle opening, but I've fixed this myself on Webers by tuning accelerator pump volume and duration...  not sure you can't get it better than what you've got.  Only you can say when your quest is complete.

The eddy current dyno is a different beast...  Instead of a "pull" like on an inertia dyno, they increase load and open the throttle while holding a constant RPM.  The max power for that RPM is then recorded and that's your power at that point.  Each RPM generates a little "pull" of its own and that's where the jet sizing changes are determined (as I understand it anyway).  

To be honest, this is my first experience with an EC dyno.  Someday I'll get Wizard on an inertia dyno to see a graph more comparable to yours.  For now it sounds like we're both pretty happy with our FJs and that's a good thing! :yahoo:
There's plenty of time for sleep in the grave...

JMR

Quote from: Flynt on October 07, 2013, 10:14:34 AM
I find the Factory 997 charts interesting as it plots point to point over 1000 RPM intervals apparently with a lot of smoothing.

Fair enough on the sudden throttle opening, but I've fixed this myself on Webers by tuning accelerator pump volume and duration...  not sure you can't get it better than what you've got.  Only you can say when your quest is complete.

The eddy current dyno is a different beast...  Instead of a "pull" like on an inertia dyno, they increase load and open the throttle while holding a constant RPM.  The max power for that RPM is then recorded and that's your power at that point.  Each RPM generates a little "pull" of its own and that's where the jet sizing changes are determined (as I understand it anyway).  

To be honest, this is my first experience with an EC dyno.  Someday I'll get Wizard on an inertia dyno to see a graph more comparable to yours.  For now it sounds like we're both pretty happy with our FJs and that's a good thing! :yahoo:
Lots of meaningful adustability with Webers. Also with the Mikuni RS's. I'll be pulling the FCR's and look at the linkage again.

Flynt

So the new heart has just crossed through 10,000 miles and Wizard continues to run like a hose...  Combine that with the beautiful dry winter we're having and you've got pics like this in my driveway...  a typical post-ride cosmetic cleanup complete with beer refreshment for the rider.  

Ride on gentlemen!

Frank

FJmonkey

Quote from: Flynt on February 14, 2014, 08:36:28 PM
So the new heart has just crossed through 10,000 miles and Wizard continues to run like a hose...  Combine that with the beautiful dry winter we're having and you've got pics like this in my driveway...  a typical cosmetic cleanup with beer refreshment for the rider. 

Ride on gentlemen!

Frank

Is that a Racer 5???? You Bastard!!!. Or worse a Hoppyland???? Grrrrrr.. I can get Racer 5... But a Hoppy... I need to visit more often...
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Flynt

Quote from: FJmonkey on February 14, 2014, 08:40:36 PM
Quote from: Flynt on February 14, 2014, 08:36:28 PM
So the new heart has just crossed through 10,000 miles and Wizard continues to run like a hose...  Combine that with the beautiful dry winter we're having and you've got pics like this in my driveway...  a typical cosmetic cleanup with beer refreshment for the rider. 

Ride on gentlemen!

Frank

Is that a Racer 5???? You Bastard!!!. Or worse a Hoppyland???? Grrrrrr..

Guess again my Simian friend...  Hint - It's a Sierra Nevada product.

Frank

PS - please visit more often.

FJmonkey

Celebration Ale??? I still have about 5 Gal...

Flynt

yep...  bring it up and you can help work on the z.  You still in mexico?  Post up some bull fights or something.  :yahoo:

Frank

FJmonkey

Quote from: Flynt on February 14, 2014, 08:50:05 PM
yep...  bring it up and you can help work on the z.  You still in mexico?  Post up some bull fights or something.  :yahoo:

Frank
Back in the States now, 1.5 weeks and loving being home. Mexico is a wonderful place to visit... But I don't want to live there...

andyb

Quote from: Flynt on October 07, 2013, 10:14:34 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZl5yX3_0yg

There's an example of an EC dyno being used.  If you listen, you'll hear the revs come up and then quiver and stabilize.  They can get closer resolution (250rpm steps or whatever), but it's more abusive to the hardware, and generally not necessary.  The real joy of this type of dyno is that they can also do a test at 20%, 50%, etc throttle positions.  It's a very powerful tool in the right hands.

I looked around for the difference between Dynojet and 997 #'s....I found 15% reported by Sport Rider in an article printed some years ago.

You may find this link rewarding reading, then.

derbybrit1

Akrapovic pipe was sourced from UK, where those lads are mad for XJR1300's.  Still the bitchinest pipe ever for an FJ.