News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Removed her heart...

Started by Flynt, December 31, 2011, 10:03:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flynt

Nothing wrong with it, in fact she's been running perfectly with the exception of the occasionally flaky tach.  She'll be further stripped down, each part addressed (cosmetic, replace, or upgrade) and then shelved for reassy...  Randy estimates a couple months to get the engine done (1349, decided on big valves but may change that, doing some research on cams, getting the trans undercut, etc).  I hope by then to have everything back together and ready for the new heart. 

Winter projects are fun!  Only downside is no FJ for the next couple of months.

Frank
There's plenty of time for sleep in the grave...

Mark Olson

way to get into it  :good2:

more power ar ar ar .
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

Pat Conlon

Good deal Frank. Randy does nice work. You will love the new torque. Question: What are you gonna do for the carbs? (I'm still running the BS36's)
Some 38mm RS's flatslides would be (relatively) cheap and easy The Klein FCR's are no longer available, the cat's meeow would be the 38mm TMR roller flatslides.
With Unipods of course... Here's the Yoshsimura TMRs only $2200...gasp

Shown on a Kawa ZRX12, same carb spacing as the FJ
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

Flynt

Quote from: Pat Conlon on December 31, 2011, 11:16:33 AM
Here's the Yoshsimura TMRs only $2200...gasp

Them's beautiful alright...  but I will start with my existing carbs and try to get some dyno time to help figure things out.   :dash2: 
Who knows where it will go from there?   :wacko3:

Its a journey you know... :bye2:

Frank

Tengu

Those Yoshi TMRs look speccy but how do they filter air and stop the microjets from clogging up?

Dan Filetti

Quote from: Tengu on December 31, 2011, 05:02:25 PM
Those Yoshi TMRs look speccy but how do they filter air and stop the microjets from clogging up?

I have often wondered the same thing when I see such setups.  Is it simply that the risk to the motor is surrendered in lieu of performance?  I gotta figure just one dust storm and the motor is toast...  Unless I'm missing something.

Someone educate me, please?

Thanks,

Dan
Live hardy, or go home. 

racerman_27410

Quote from: Dan Filetti on January 01, 2012, 05:07:51 PM
Quote from: Tengu on December 31, 2011, 05:02:25 PM

I have often wondered the same thing when I see such setups.  Is it simply that the risk to the motor is surrendered in lieu of performance?  I gotta figure just one dust storm and the motor is toast...  Unless I'm missing something.

Someone educate me, please?

Thanks,

Dan

the velocity stacks are for racebikes....  they are more concerned about maximum performance over long service life as the engines get torn down frequently anyway.

for street use i'm sure you would want to order the optional air filter adapters (like i had to for my Kehin FCR's)

I'm sure they are less than 100 bucks apiece (maybe)

KOokaloo!

Klavdy

Carbs?
meh.
Fuel Injection from a Yamaha XJR1300.
Go on, you know you want to.
"This guy has got to go. The single most offensive individual I have experienced on the web.
MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

i is a professional website designer, I've built over 100's of sites
And yea I actually get paid for it. about 150 and hour.

racerrad8

Quote from: Klavdy on January 01, 2012, 08:06:50 PM
Carbs?
meh.
Fuel Injection from a Yamaha XJR1300.
Go on, you know you want to.

Naw, we have already talked about it. The FI from the XJR uses a dual throttle plate system and the secondary plate acts as a governor. There might be some options down the road as aftermarket parts become available, but at this point many disgruntled XJR owners regarding FI.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

Klavdy

G'Day Randy mate, best of the season to you and yours.
So, the XJR FI is suckish.
Hmmm.
What about something like Hayabusa or R1 injection?
The parts are sure cheap enough,or has this been tried by the Legends racers already?
It is believed that Steve Conklin was messing around with FI for his big donk, dunno how far he got with it.
You would need a fair bit of Dyno and mapping time, that's for sure but it would be a neat engineering project.
Have your colleagues in the race circles successfully used FI?
Or is it not approved for racing?
Cheers.

"This guy has got to go. The single most offensive individual I have experienced on the web.
MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

i is a professional website designer, I've built over 100's of sites
And yea I actually get paid for it. about 150 and hour.

Pat Conlon

meh.... Fuel Injection from a Yamaha XJR1300....Go on, you know you want to.

Hey Klav, IIRC Steve looked into the XJR fuel injection and it would not fit on the FJ. The throttle body assembly has the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) on the outside left side of the assembly. This unit fit fine on the XJR which used a center backbone frame, but it would not fit on the FJ with the perimeter frame. The TPS would not clear the left side frame rail, that's why Steve and Marc came up the 'Busa throttle bodies on a custom intake manifold.

I wonder how's Steve doing? I wonder if he still has Thor?

Yes, those TMR's should be used with UniPods and not open velocity stacks...
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

simi_ed

K-man, I rode a buddy's Hayabusa a few years ago, and it was an eye opener!  Of course it was fast as  hell, but the throttle response & control was nowhere near as refined as my FJ, or so I thought.  When my buddy demanded the 'busa back, his first comment was about how superior the "driveability" of the FJ was over his 'busa.  And he had just retrieved it from the shop for tune, etc. 

So, even though the pilot jets are a PITA, I'm inclined to stick with carbies, especially after shit-canning the OEM airbox.  Much easier to R&R the carbs with Uni-Pods (Thanks, Randy!).

YMMV,

Ed
-- RKBA Regards,

Ed
===
Ed Thiele 
Simi Valley, CA -- I no longer have SoCal manners.
'89 FJ12C (Theft deterrent Silver/White)

- All that is necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for
enough good men to do nothing.

- Edmund Burke

fj1289

I was very satisfied with my 39mm Kehein FCRs - they performed well on a stock 1188 to a 1380 and 1314.  Much better drivability than the Mikuni 38mm's (had issues with slides sticking at part throttle settings, making smooth throttle control impossible).  The FCRs were expensive, but worth it.  Don't think going double the price for the TMRs would be though...

Which is why I decided to go FI this time around (The FCRs were stolen a couple years ago - the whole trailer theft in Oklahoma thing).  FI parts have come down a lot in price from several years ago, and being able to buy Marc's FI parts and tap into his experience and knowledge was a big help too.   Unfortunately I've got nearly 8 months left in Afghanistan, so the project is a bit delayed right now  :ireful:

Progress so far has been limited to parts gathering and planning.  On Marc's advice, I went with a custom microsquirt from Interface PnP.  This is the route he took for the GSXR FI on his Aprilia.  There is a self tuning capability (working with a wideband O2) and Marc says the driveability is much better than the stock Aprilia FI system. 

I can share what I know up to this point - but it is still a work in (suspended) progress...

...now back to your original thread still in progress... I think you'll be pleased with the horsepower gain from the 1349 even with stock carbs - but you'll be amazed with the horsepower gain from the 1349 with bigger carbs or a well sorted FI setup. 

rktmanfj

Quote from: Pat Conlon on January 01, 2012, 11:32:22 PM
meh.... Fuel Injection from a Yamaha XJR1300....Go on, you know you want to.

Hey Klav, IIRC Steve looked into the XJR fuel injection and it would not fit on the FJ. The throttle body assembly has the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) on the outside left side of the assembly. This unit fit fine on the XJR which used a center backbone frame, but it would not fit on the FJ with the perimeter frame. The TPS would not clear the left side frame rail, that's why Steve and Marc came up the 'Busa throttle bodies on a custom intake manifold.

I wonder how's Steve doing? I wonder if he still has Thor?

Yes, those TMR's should be used with UniPods and not open velocity stacks...

IIRC, last I talked with Steve about FI, he sent me some video of his FJ running on Mega (or was it micro) squirt FI, but he hadn't perfected it yet.  He was still using carbs to ride, just experimenting with the FI.

Wasn't someone on the board playing around with a set of FZ1 carbs?

Flynt

Quote from: fj1289 on January 02, 2012, 09:29:34 AM
I was very satisfied with my 39mm Kehein FCRs - they performed well on a stock 1188 to a 1380 and 1314.  ...but you'll be amazed with the horsepower gain from the 1349 with bigger carbs or a well sorted FI setup. 

Randy is checking into getting the Keihins...  I have a stand alone FI setup on my Datsun 240z and have had the same engine with Weber side drafts.  I think well sorted carbs are a good alternative and will perform very similar to FI, although they don't get the fuel economy in my experience.  And they are a bit easier to get tuned (less variables = less dyno time). 

Any advice on cams from the crowd here?

Frank