News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Rear & Front Wheel conversion

Started by Shaun, July 02, 2009, 12:43:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thuber3040

I too am interested in the front/rear wheel mod. but someone with the knowledge needs to post exactly which years, which parts, and say front or rear whenever they give details.
and I am sure there is some combo that can be worked out as a bolt on only with no machining needed.

as one example

use a 88 fzr1000 wheel, but the 87-88 wheels are the same and half the people say the 87 wheel is a no go.

or give a list of parts and we can get someone to make and sell the extras needed, this seems to be a top mod so there is a customer base but a lack of cohesiveness on information.

I think some of us are using uk information also, and usually the uk/us bits dont cross the pond well

let alone if you want to goto a usd fork setup.

or im just ranting :dash2:
1985 FJ1100 Finally Home
1984 FJ1100 New purchase
1978 KZ1327
1973 H2

racerman_27410

Quote from: Firehawk068 on September 30, 2009, 02:51:51 PM
Hello to all. :hi:

I am assuming I have to use a Honda VFR750 front sprocket,

Thanks.
Alan H.
Mesa, AZ

the countershaft sprocket you will need is sourced from a 1985 Honda VF1000R    not the VFR

Kookaloo!

bama1

I just put a 89 fzr1000 front wheel on my 89 fj.All I had done was machine work on the bearing housing.I got bearings forthe fj for the wheel.I had asked the same questions you did because I had bought a 89 fzr wheel by accident.I put blue dot brakes on while I was at it.I havent got in a long ride yet but everything works.

Harvy

Bama, I have often thought that you could have the bearing surfaces machined to fit bearings for the 15mm FJ axle..... You are the first I have heard from that has done it.....well done.......proof of theory!

Cheers
Harvy
FJZ1 1200 - It'll do me just fine.
Timing has much to do with the success of a rain dance.

Firehawk068

Bama,
Did the stock FJ wheel bearings/spacer/seals/axle/and speedo drive work after you had the wheel machined? or did you have to use any of the FZR parts other than the wheel itself? The shop doing my machine work can machine the wheel to fit the FJ bearings no problem. I'm just wondering what else I am going to run into.
Thanks. :good2:
Alan H.
Denver, CO
'90 FJ1200

Marsh White

Quote from: bama1 on September 30, 2009, 08:23:35 PM
I just put a 89 fzr1000 front wheel on my 89 fj.All I had done was machine work on the bearing housing.I got bearings forthe fj for the wheel.I had asked the same questions you did because I had bought a 89 fzr wheel by accident.I put blue dot brakes on while I was at it.I havent got in a long ride yet but everything works.

I'm just wondering why you did that mod?  You already have a 17" wheel on the 89 FJ.  (as opposed to the earlier FJs who have a 16" wheel where that mod would be worthwhile...for better tire selection and handling)  Yeah, so the stock 89 front wheel is only 3" wide.  Is the 89 FZR1000 wheel 3.5" wide?  If so, that alone isn't worth the trouble AT ALL!  Much better spending the time to do a whole front fork mod and get the 3.5" wheel that way.  Just curious...

Harvy

Marsh, just from my experience on my '91.......yes the 3.5 inch wheel on the front is a better match-up to the 5.5 on the back....... but I agree that doing up the front forks with new springs and emulators, R1 mono-blocks and adding the Superbrace has only added to the mod. The front tyre does not cup, that's for sure.

My mates '09 Bonny still can't get around the twisties as nimbly as a modded FJ!......even though its about 1/2 the weight.

Harvy

bama1

I used all FJ parts for the wheel.I am going this weekend and ride the draggon and the Cherahoa parkway so I will know if everything works well on a long ride.Marsh I just thought the wider wheel looked good.When you have three kids and a stay at home mom its hard to spend a lot of money on stuff that isnt necessary.Wheels are cheap plus there isnt alot of other expensive stuff to buy.There is so much I would love to do but money is a issue.
THANKS
BAMA

Marsh White

Quote from: Harvy on October 02, 2009, 04:29:43 AM
Marsh, just from my experience on my '91.......yes the 3.5 inch wheel on the front is a better match-up to the 5.5 on the back....... but I agree that doing up the front forks with new springs and emulators, R1 mono-blocks and adding the Superbrace has only added to the mod. The front tyre does not cup, that's for sure.
Harvy

Harvy, I think you misunderstood my point.  My point is: changing a 17" front wheel that is 3" wide to a 17" front wheel that is 3.5" wide with the stock forks IS an improvement - but it is SO MINOR of an improvement it really makes no difference at all.  Unless it was free - I don't think the cost of the wheel, machining, bearings are worth the improvement.  I'm not talking about putting springs, emulators yada yada on the stock forks (even if you do all of that - the forks still suck compared to a true cartridge fork).  The money would be much better spent putting on Cartridge forks off of another bike - and acquiring the 3.5" front wheel as a result of THAT mod.  That's what I'm sayin' - that is how it's usually done.

I honestly had never heard of anyone changing the front wheel on a 89+ FJ without doing a fork swap to forks off of another bike...and in my mind I couldn't follow the logic - that's why I asked the question.  I guess I know of 2 people who have done it now!   :good2:   Hey modding an FJ is good!   :yes:  I understand - sometimes we get bored in the garage and look for something to do - and can't afford a whole front fork swap.   I know I've been there - usually the result of this condition is buying new springs and emulators and such for the stock forks - money that in reality - would nearly cover the costs of, and be MUCH better spent, doing a cartridge fork swap.  Just throwing out my $.02

Marsh White

Quote from: bama1 on September 30, 2009, 08:23:35 PM
I just put a 89 fzr1000 front wheel on my 89 fj.All I had done was machine work on the bearing housing.I got bearings forthe fj for the wheel.I had asked the same questions you did because I had bought a 89 fzr wheel by accident.

Ah - I think I may understand now.  You had a damaged FJ wheel?  So you bought an FZR1000 front wheel by accident - thinking you were buying an FJ wheel?  And you already had the FJ front wheel bearings so you machined the wheel out to use the bearings you had and to use the wheel you bought?  Makes sense - and you get the wider wheel without spending more money.  If that is the case - I think I get it now - good job!   :good2:

Harvy

Quote from: Marsh White on October 02, 2009, 12:04:51 PM
Quote from: Harvy on October 02, 2009, 04:29:43 AM
Harvy

Harvy, I think you misunderstood my point.  My point is: changing a 17" front wheel that is 3" wide to a 17" front wheel that is 3.5" wide with the stock forks IS an improvement - but it is SO MINOR of an improvement it really makes no difference at all.  Unless it was free - I don't think the cost of the wheel, machining, bearings are worth the improvement.  I'm not talking about putting springs, emulators yada yada on the stock forks (even if you do all of that - the forks still suck compared to a true cartridge fork).  The money would be much better spent putting on Cartridge forks off of another bike - and acquiring the 3.5" front wheel as a result of THAT mod.  That's what I'm sayin' - that is how it's usually done.

I honestly had never heard of anyone changing the front wheel on a 89+ FJ without doing a fork swap to forks off of another bike...and in my mind I couldn't follow the logic - that's why I asked the question.  I guess I know of 2 people who have done it now!   :good2:   Hey modding an FJ is good!   :yes:  I understand - sometimes we get bored in the garage and look for something to do - and can't afford a whole front fork swap.   I know I've been there - usually the result of this condition is buying new springs and emulators and such for the stock forks - money that in reality - would nearly cover the costs of, and be MUCH better spent, doing a cartridge fork swap.  Just throwing out my $.02

Marsh, in my case, I did the fork spring, emulator mod when I first bought the bike.....4 or 5 years ago. At that time it was all the talk on the old Yahoo group........I don't recall seeing the cartridge fork mods till a wee while after this. BUT I agree with you....... If I were to do a front end mod now it would be a cartridge setup.
Trouble here is availability and price......you folks have it in Spades over in the States.

I found that the FJ (and probably most other bikes) feels better with the 3.5/5.5 combo than with the 3/5.5 combo.

My $0.02 as well.

Harvy

threejagsteve

In other words, the bearings for the 17mm axle actually have a smaller O.D. than the bearings for the 15mm axle? Or is it a depth issue?

TIA, and Kookaloo!
"If you wanna bark with the big dogs, you can't pee with the puppies!"

simi_ed

Marsh, I did the 3.5" front w/o any fork mods, and  I have to disagree with you.  The braking improved ability with the added contact patch, and that alone made the change worthwhile.

I still have and plan to install the YZF600 front end with Gold goodies, etc; but until then, this has helped my ol' FJ feel a tad more modern.  Damn those carbs, where's fuel injection when you really need it!?!?!?
-- RKBA Regards,

Ed
===
Ed Thiele 
Simi Valley, CA -- I no longer have SoCal manners.
'89 FJ12C (Theft deterrent Silver/White)

- All that is necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for
enough good men to do nothing.

- Edmund Burke