News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

FZR Front Wheel question

Started by markmartin, January 16, 2012, 07:11:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markmartin

Looking at past posts etc, I've found that  '87 or '88 FZR 3.5" front wheel will fit the my '89 FJ.  I want to make certain before purchasing anything;

Can the '87 or '88 FZR wheel come off a FZR 600 or a FZR 1000?  Are they are the same wheel and either wheel will fit? 

Thanks

Mark

bama1

The 1000 is the only wheel I know that is a direct fit.I put a 89 FZR 1000 wheel on mine but it isnt a direct fit like the 87 or 88. Good luck with the mod

andyb

The 89-99 FZR600 wheel isn't 3.5" width, but a 3.0x17.  Stock tire size was 110/70-17 on it.

Don't see a pre-89 model for the FZR600, it replaced the FZ600 that ran 86-88.

markmartin

Thanks guys.  I think I've got it now.  Andy, I thought you'd misunderstood the question until I finally started paying attention and realized the difference between FZ and FZR models, years of manufature etc.  Went to Wikipedia for a quick Yamaha history lesson and I think I get it now.

'87 or '88 FZR 1000 front wheel is what I'm looking for.

FJmonkey

Quote from: markmartin on January 16, 2012, 09:04:37 AM
Thanks guys.  I think I've got it now.  Andy, I thought you'd misunderstood the question until I finally started paying attention and realized the difference between FZ and FZR models, years of manufature etc.  Went to Wikipedia for a quick Yamaha history lesson and I think I get it now.

'87 or '88 FZR 1000 front wheel is what I'm looking for.
I have a spare wheel from an 88/89 FZR1000. It is not in great shape but it may work for you. It has some gouges that could be filled in with metal filler that can be powder-coated if you want. I have not checked for straightness yet. Guess I better do that if I offer it to the club. Let me know if you are considering it. I will take some pictures for you.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

markmartin

Quote from: FJmonkey on January 16, 2012, 07:06:30 PM
I have a spare wheel from an 88/89 FZR1000. << snip >> Let me know if you are considering it. I will take some pictures for you.

Thanks for the offer.  I'm knee deep in FJ projects and $$ right now so don't wait for me.  If anyone wants it, go for it. I'm looking to the future for a possible wheel upgrade and just getting my facts straight.

That said, I would entertain a picture of yours.  I'm starting to look now for what condition these used wheels are available.  Saw this one today.http://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Wheel-1988-88-Yamaha-FZR1000-FZR-1000-/260927556950?hash=item3cc07e8d56&item=260927556950&pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr 

Aside from the horrid color, I'm not sure if the nicks and dings and rust are going to be typical to what I'm going to find. ??   I'm assuming that I would change the bearings regardless so that wouldn't be a factor. 

You say you've got an 88/89.  From what I understand so far (not a lot) it's the 87 & 88 FZR wheel that is the right one, and the 89 has a different axle diameter.  Yes?

Mark Olson

87-88 fzr1000  , the 89 is wrong .

so monkey needs to check the size of his hole.   ( the wheel )  :rofl2:
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

FJmonkey

Quote from: Mark Olson on January 17, 2012, 12:08:14 PM
87-88 fzr1000  , the 89 is wrong .
so monkey needs to check the size of his hole.   ( the wheel )  :rofl2:
That reminds me of a joke about a monkey in a bar and Que-ball.... :shok: But i digress, my hole...er in the wheel is 15MM so it is the 87/88 wheel. I will try to get some pictures up so the club can window shop.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

ccsct203

I used a 1992 FZR front wheel om 1988 FZR front forks
I believe that is 3.5"
If it's not broken, fix it anyways

rktmanfj

Quote from: ccsct203 on January 19, 2012, 07:00:37 AM
I used a 1992 FZR front wheel om 1988 FZR front forks
I believe that is 3.5"

Well, of course that would fit... it's when fitting the FZR wheel to stock FJ forks that axle size becomes an issue.

The '87-'88 are the only ones that bolt right up.  Been there, tried that.  Damned eBay!     :dash2:

The other FZR wheels have a bigger axle.  Wheel bearings with the FZR o/d and FJ i/d are apparently not available.  Using bushings with the FJ axle is not a good idea.

AFAIK, all the FZR1000 front wheels were 3.5" wide.

hein

Is there any reason why you couln't use the 17 mm fzr wheel and speedo drive and just knock out a custom axle that would accomodate the FJ forks and the FZ wheel. Perhaps I'm missing something but it would seem like a pretty easy job on the lathe.

Hein.
What do you mean, you don't have a lathe?

rktmanfj

Quote from: hein on January 19, 2012, 12:16:47 PM
Is there any reason why you couln't use the 17 mm fzr wheel and speedo drive and just knock out a custom axle that would accomodate the FJ forks and the FZ wheel. Perhaps I'm missing something but it would seem like a pretty easy job on the lathe.

Hein.

You're not, as far as I can tell.

If one has a lathe... but a lot of guys just want a bolt on solution, and either lack the tools or ability to make up parts.

SlowOldGuy

If only I hadn't left my lathe in my other pants.  That, and loaning my spare lathe to the neighbor, I knew he wouldn't return it.

Damn......

Reminds me of the old Steve Martin routine about how "you can be a millionaire and NOT pay taxes!"

DavidR.

hein

I did leave out one detail, the r/s slider axle hole must be machined to 17mm. Again this is a quick and easy machining  job.

OK so you don't own a lathe or milling machine. You have two options, take it to a machine shop, both the axle and the boring of the r/s slider are easy and won't cost an arm and a leg. Better yet enrol in a intro level machining evening course at a local community college. For a small tuition fee, which is probably tax deductible, you not only learn how to machine but can also allow you to make projects. A few years ago I had a project that was too big for my lathe. After pricing the job out it was considerably cheaper to just take an evening course and use the college equipment. A friend of mine has been attending machining courses on sat. mornings for about 15yrs. He considers it to be his private machine shop and has built many projects for himself.

As far as reducer bushings in the bearings being unsafe I disagree. Make them with an outside flange that buts up against the inner bearing race to prevent them from "walking" inboard and using a light interference fit into the bearing they are perfectly safe. The load is spread over 360 degrees and they can't go anywhere. You will have to shorten the rs/ spacer the same amount as the flange thicknes and spotface the inside bearing contact area of the speedo drive by the same amount. I'm not a machinist by trade so any input from a machinist would be most useful. I used this method back in 95 while converting a fxrs with a fj1200 front end controls and wheels etc. The back wheel used this bushing setup and 17 yrs. later it still works fine for the current owner.

Hein. 
What do you mean, you don't have a lathe?

Pat Conlon

Sorry. The thought that my life depended on a axle bushing, 1mm thick, supporting the loads incurred by the front wheel, on a fully loaded 800+lb motorcycle heeled over in a 80mph sweeper...gives me the shivers.

Oh what the hell...It's only the front wheel.... :crazy:
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3