News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Removed Motor

Started by moparman70, January 29, 2012, 03:09:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparman70

I started on getting the donor engine ready for my 86 FJ -- the engine was removed yesterday from the donor bike -- and now needs clean up and paint in preparation for the transplant.  I found the best way to get the engine out of the frame once disconnected is to lift the frame away as opposed to dropping the engine out.

And now the hard work begins

craigo

Wow, that engine sure looks neglected. Wonder what it looks like on the inside. Do you have plans of opening up the valve covers or bottom covers to see what it looks like in there?

Pat said earlier (and I may be wrong) to use a heat resistant satin black to match the original engine color. There are parts you could take off now and polish/paint with out much effort vs after it's all put back on the bike.

Dude, nice work so far. Can't wait to see the end result.

CraigO
CraigO
90FJ1200

moparman70

I thought about taking some things off --- just not really sure yet.  I was impressed with how it ran this week so I think it will be ok.  The valve covers will probably come off -- as they will be easier to blast if I go with that too.... and take a quick peek at the same time.

moparman70

Cleaned up the motor -- just a bit more cleaning around the front sprocket and it will be ready for paint.

moparman70

Motor painted -- more or less ready to install -- I am having difficulty getting the front sprocket off ...any ideas

Flying Scotsman

Air impact driver or hand held impact will get the sprocket off.
Might be overkill though.
Breaker bar and 36mm socket  worked for me.
1984 FJ1100
1985 FJ1100
1990 FJ1200
1999 GP1200 (165 + hp)

ribbert

Probably easiest to wait until it's in the frame with the chain on and use the back brake to hold it.
Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

craigo

Nice job Steve,  :good:

Can't wait to see what it looks like once the masking tape comes off.

Do you have the motor out of your other bike yet, or is that something you still need to do?

CraigO
CraigO
90FJ1200

moparman70

thanks for the replies on the front sprocket -- I could not get it off with the tools I had but will go ahead with the suggestions.   The motor is in the good bike now... installed carbs ..airbox - cables - Tomorrow will be the exhaust and just have the clutch and rear tire to put on but I have to get the gaskets I ordered first.

If all goes well it should be running Saturday morning.  I will replace the sprocket later if necessary. 

moparman70

Well, I went gang-busters on the bike this week - Thurs -Friday and Saturday.... and transplant runs great. Loads of power like a FJ should.  It feels stronger than the 90 version but that could be the gearing as well.  

A few more finishing touches ... chin fairing ... general cleaning and she will be complete.

My first FJ rides once more ...

racerman_27410

Well all right !  :good2:

KOokaloo!

FJmonkey

Quote from: moparman70 on February 11, 2012, 10:09:47 PM
Well, I went gang-busters on the bike this week - Thurs -Friday and Saturday.... and transplant runs great. Loads of power like a FJ should.  It feels stronger than the 90 version but that could be the gearing as well.  

A few more finishing touches ... chin fairing ... general cleaning and she will be complete.

My first FJ rides once more ...

Most excellent dude!!! Another Red and White on the road.....kudos....
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

simi_ed

:drinks:  Looks good, Steve.  Still looks like an Ambulance, though ...A fast Ambulance :rofl2:
-- RKBA Regards,

Ed
===
Ed Thiele 
Simi Valley, CA -- I no longer have SoCal manners.
'89 FJ12C (Theft deterrent Silver/White)

- All that is necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for
enough good men to do nothing.

- Edmund Burke

craigo

Great Job, Steve,

Too bad it's gonna rain these next few days. Highs in the mountains is in the mid 40s with even a chance of snow on the very tops of Palomar and Laguna.

Can't wait for nice weather again. I am jonesing for a good ride.

CraigO
CraigO
90FJ1200

terryk

Nice, congrats, lets ride.