News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Hello from new FJ1200 owner

Started by Connor, February 05, 2012, 03:36:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Connor

Hi everyone. I'm Connor and live in Leicester, in the United Kingdom.

I got myself an 1986 FJ1200 2 days ago as PX for my ZZR600 or ZX600D as you call it in the states. I haven't ridden it yet, due to snow and it hasn't been insured.

I've had it started up in the garage, and even in this freezing weather, it starts straight up and purs nicely. It has just over 26,000 genuine miles on the clock, which is evident from the condition its in. Its only missing the belly pan, which I hope to get sometime soon.

Anyhow thats me. I'll see if I can get some photos up soon  :good2:
Yamaha FJ1200 - 1986 - Motad N-eta Exhausts - 26k miles

racerman_27410

welcome to the group Conner.

I'm sure you're gonna love the FJ's character.

KOokaloo!

Frank

FJmonkey

Alright! Another Red and White in the club, welcome to the club Connor. The chin fairing can be found aftermarket, they are fiberglass (much stronger and heat resistant than the plastic), but you have to paint them. My 86' has over 65K on the clock and other than a minor oil leak and the second gear issue she is solid. The suspension feels like its full of marshmallow, expected from a bike this old. But that is what upgrades are for. I already put a 92 GSXR 17 x 5.5 rear wheel on. The front is next with emulators in 89 forks. It is addictive.....
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Connor

Cheers for the welcome  :good2:

Just wondering FJmonkey, whats this 2nd gear issue you talk of. Haven't heard of any issues with the engine. Is it serious?

craigo

Quote from: Connor on February 05, 2012, 04:32:28 PM

Just wondering FJmonkey, whats this 2nd gear issue you talk of. Haven't heard of any issues with the engine. Is it serious?

1st gen motors (84-87 USA) has/had problems with 2nd gear going away. Seems to have been fixed with the later additions but still hearing from some that it has not. My 90 is fine and I am not that nice to it when it comes to banging the tranny. Your results may vary.

CraigO
CraigO
90FJ1200

Connor

Quote from: craigo on February 05, 2012, 04:58:26 PM

1st gen motors (84-87 USA) has/had problems with 2nd gear going away. Seems to have been fixed with the later additions but still hearing from some that it has not. My 90 is fine and I am not that nice to it when it comes to banging the tranny. Your results may vary.

CraigO

Arhhh, cheers Craig, well my engine will be a Euro engine so hopefully not so much of an issue. And with only 26k on the clocks I should be okay. Tomorrow will be the test when I ride it to work. I'm excited and a bit nervous. Its quite a bit bigger and heavier than my old ZX6D

FJmonkey

For me it happens when pulling hard in second gear hitting 6k RPMs or more, it starts popping in and out, almost like a rev-limiter. However, the condition gets worse the more you push it. The newer shift forks are stronger and you can get under cut gears to fix this. This requires splitting the cases, not a small job. I am babying my second gear till I can have Randy work some magic on it.  
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Connor

Quote from: FJmonkey on February 05, 2012, 05:04:14 PM
For me it happens when pulling hard in second gear hitting 6k RPMs or more, it starts popping in and out, almost like a rev-limiter. However, the condition gets worse the more you push it. The newer shift forks are stronger and you can get under cut gears to fix this. This requires splitting the cases, not a small job. I am babying my second gear till I can have Randy work some magic on it.  

Okey dokey, I'll keep an eye out on it. I haven't even ridden it yet, and won't get a chance to push her until this bad weather passes.

I will be mainly riding her back and forward to work, only a 10 mile round trip, but with my bike being my only transport, I don't have a car licence, I want something comfy  :good2:

rktmanfj

Dan Filetti

Live hardy, or go home. 

Pat Conlon

Welcome Conner! You UK blokes have been keeping the FJ dreams alive over there for years now....What a great bunch!  Cheers!
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

Mark Olson

welcome to the group  :hi:

The 86 is a great year fj .
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

Connor

Well thank you for the warm welcome everyone  :good2:

I had my first go on the beast today riding to work, surrounded by snow and ice  :negative:

All in all, shes comfy, quiet and smooth. I'll test the power out once the weather picks up

Anyhow, cheers again, I think I'll have a good time here  :good2:

flips

Hi Connor :hi:

Welcome.....another red and white  :yahoo:

Cheers :drinks:

Jeff P
Stay rubber side down.

diymanic

Hi Conner,
i used to service round your way....when i lived in notts lol
these web sites make the world a small place :smile: