News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Reformed racer

Started by FJdave1200, February 09, 2012, 08:07:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FJdave1200

Hello my name in Dave and I am a reformed FJ car racer. I recently tracked down the last FJ-1200 I robed an engine from and began putting it back together:). I pulled the engine from my Baby Grand, only two races since rebuild, and converted it back to air cooling. It sent my 1500 lb car down the road course at nearly 150 mph, it's healthy,) needless to say it will be much toned down for its life in retirement :)

My goal is to make my machine as stock as possible. Looks like I have found a set of mufflers, thanks Steve. And I  was just tuned onto a replica lower cowl, its on the way. I am looking forward to riding this bike again.

This group has been a great resource, thank you so much.

David
Denver Colorado
FJ-1200S
" All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"

Burke

FJmonkey

Quote from: FJdave1200 on February 09, 2012, 08:07:04 PM
Hello my name in Dave and I am a reformed FJ car racer. I recently tracked down the last FJ-1200 I robed an engine from and began putting it back together:). I pulled the engine from my Baby Grand, only two races since rebuild, and converted it back to air cooling. It sent my 1500 lb car down the road course at nearly 150 mph, it's healthy,) needless to say it will be much toned down for its life in retirement :)

My goal is to make my machine as stock as possible. Looks like I have found a set of mufflers, thanks Steve. And I  was just tuned onto a replica lower cowl, its on the way. I am looking forward to riding this bike again.

This group has been a great resource, thank you so much.

David
Denver Colorado
FJ-1200S
What year?
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Pat Conlon

Quote from: FJdave1200 on February 09, 2012, 08:07:04 PM
Hello my name in Dave and I am a reformed FJ car racer. I recently tracked down the last FJ-1200 I robed an engine from and began putting it back together..............

Bless you my son, your amends have been made, and your sins forgiven.....Ride in peace.  Fr.Paddy
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

FJmonkey

Quote from: Pat Conlon on February 09, 2012, 09:00:04 PM
Bless you my son, your amends have been made, and your sins forgiven.....Ride in peace.  Fr.Paddy
But what if he rides one of them 80/90's versions??? Not a red and Silver/White.....What are you doing???? Well, He is reversing the trend, alright...What Fr. Paddy said....You can beat him up on polishing later...
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

FJdave1200

It's red and white, as the great lord Yamaha intended. Stock as a rock, except for the XJ motor.

Burke

racerman_27410

Welcome to the group Dave!

Its never too late to come back to the FJ family!

KOokaloo!

SlowOldGuy

Quote from: racerman_27410 on February 09, 2012, 11:24:37 PM
Welcome to the group Dave!

Its never too late to come back to the FJ family!

No one ever really leaves.  The sale of every FJ was lamented at one point or another.

Owning an FJ is kind of like anti-sieze.  It only takes a small exposure and the next thing you know, it's all over you for life.

Welcome back Dave!

DavidR.

jvb_ca

Welcome Dave... :hi:
Somehow I thinks that original looking FJ is gonna be another sleeper. There's a few of them around here. :good:

Cheers...Jake
Cheers...Jake
86FJ1200
Ontario

FJdave1200

These beasts were sleepers out of the box, I think. Lol :)

Burke

weymouth399

Welcome Dave

There are few of us fj powered car racers on here, mostly legends, a few baby grands. But we all are FJ lovers too.

Did you say you are going to put a xjr1250 in your 86 fj and trying to keep it stock? Remember that the xjr output shaft and corresponding parts are longer that a fj. It can be done but not with stock parts.

Bob W
84 FJ 1100
86 FJ1200
89 FJ1200
5  FJ POWERED race cars
76 LB80 Chappy
93 KX500 ice for sale
00 KX500 ice/dirt
04 KDX220 dirt for sale
04 KX500 ice
08 KLX450 ice/road
72 CT90x2 for sale

FJdave1200

Exactly correct, I was wondering when someone would point that out. However, the FJ output shaft,shift cover, shift lever, etc fits nicely in the XJ case.  The engine I pulled from this bike was sold in a Baby Grand Car a long time ago. I am working with Ron at HO Motorsports, a true FJ fan and engine genius,  to get the engine configured for the motorcycle. I highly recommend him for anyone needing engine work.

Burke