News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Hello from Maine

Started by ssuv93, July 17, 2009, 11:48:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssuv93

I am sorry for the long intro, but I think some might get a kick out of it.  And I am a terrible speller.  I rode a Harley FXE Superglide for 6 years as young adult when Harleys' were not cool.  I got a job selling tires on the road.  One of my accounts was Friend and Friend Motorcycle sales.  While waiting for someone to sign for some tires (around 1989) I sat on a "rice rocket".  It was an FJ1200.  A man came up to me and introduced himself as the owner, and asked what I thought of the bike I was sitting on.  I said that it was the ugliest bike I had seen.  He laughed and said that it was the best bike ever built, and one of the few bikes that he had actually bought for himself (please don't hate me yet). 
    In the next 15 years I got married, took care of my father until he died (dementia), sold cars and made a good living.  My wife and I became self employed with our own detailing shop, auto, boat, motorcycle etc.  In 2004 I ended up in the hospital, very sick and almost died.  (You haven't lived until you have installed a Foley Catheter, in your own body, by yourself, dry). We closed up shop and immediately joined the ranks of the poor.  I fought to get better for three years before my wife and Doctor convinced me to apply for Social Security Disability.  We handled it ourself and got approved in three months, almost a record for this area according to the SSDI staff. I guess I was sick.  By this time I had sold most of my tools, boat, 40ft camper, collectibles to support us.  To get through the depression that comes from working all of your life and then needing help to dress, I had a goal to get healthy enough to get and ride a bike.  As I researched what I thought we could afford, and what I liked, we kept coming back to the FJ1200.  I read what an advanced bike it was, how it was bullet proof, and affordable used.  When I recovered enough physically and economically, we started to watch eBay for FJs.  We found a 1986 in good condition for $2500 in Montreal, Canada.  I had to sell a truck to get the money.  No one had bid on the bike, and I emailed the owner and told him I would buy it for his asking price, but could not pay for three weeks.  He ended the auction and told us that he did not need the money right off, and would be glad to hold the bike.  We got our truck ready to sell on eBay, (two weeks) listed it and sold it in 8 hours.  The man picked it up on a Saturday and gave us cash.  I called the bike owner and he offered to drive the bike to Maine so we would not have border problems. We picked up the bike from him in Eustis the next day.  THANK YOU FRANCOIS from CANADA!!!
     We knew that the bike needed a few things, but it drove great from the start.  He had taken very good care of it.  It came with a Corbin gunfighter/lady gunfighter seat and back rest, original seat, throttle lock, Targa tall windscreen, new stock windscreen and four into two into one exhaust system (no idea what brand, it has a 2.5inch mid pipe and a 13 inch can).  I am lucky and have a friend that used to turn wrenches for Team Honda and he offered to help me. 
     I purchased two Bridgestone BT45 Battleaxe tires, fork seals and oil change stuff.  I mounted the tires, then we rebuilt the carbs, replaced a lot of rubber hoses, cleaned the K& N filters, checked brakes,valves and monoshock.
     Now I had a great running bike, and had to make the transition from being a Harley rider 20 years ago to this rocket on wheels.  I have loved learning to ride this bike, (still learning) and the respect the bike gets when some people see the FJ1200 decal on the side.  I will now agree with that bike shop owner and say that I think this IS the best bike built.  "SIGH", now my wife wants one of her own.   :dash2: 
     Is there any one in central Maine in this group?  Also, any idea where I can find a muffler with a 2.5 inch inlet?  Anyways, I have been enjoying this site for a couple of months and thought I should introduce myself.  There seems to be great people here, and I have learned some things already.
                                                   Murray
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - Winston Churchill  (falsely attributed to George Orwell)

"oderint dum metuant"  Lucius Accius, 40B.C. +-  as said by Caligula & Cicero

Mark Olson

Murray,

welcome to the group, you bought the best year 86 fj1200. :good:

I know a guy here in california selling a 86 for 2000.00 , you should buy it  for your wife.

get to a rally and meet the group , you will be glad you did.
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

Arnie

Hi Murray,

Mark's suggestion of buying George Bower's 86 isn't so silly as it may sound.  This bike seems to be in great condition, at a very good price.  It would give you and your wife a chance to ride across the country to get it and then you could ride back via a different route.  By the time you get home, you'll both know your bikes :-)  Glad you came to see the light :-)

Cheers,
Arnie

FJ Flyer

Murray,
Welcome back to the riding fold!  You'll have a blast on the FJ.  I know there are members in VT and I think NH, as well as MA.  Not sure about any others in ME.  Also, quite a few friends north of the border.

Chris P.
'16 FJR1300ES
'87 FJ1200
'76 DT250

Wear your gear.

Marsh White

Welcome Murray!  It sounds like you'd be an interesting fellow to sit around a campfire with...have some good stories to tell.  Does you wife currently ride a bike, or has she in the past?  If so, what kind?

ssuv93

Thanks Mark, Arnie, Chris, Marsh and any others, what a great welcome!  We will not be financially able for a couple of months to purchase another bike.  We are repairing our 1976 Case industrial tractor and getting it ready for sale.  We have looked at other bikes for her, and again keep coming back to an FJ1200.  My wife and I are a very close couple, i.e. we have been apart for about 21 days total in 15 years, (including two weeks in the hospital).  So besides the obvious advantages of an FJ, we like the idea of matching bikes. 

She has limited riding experience from her teens.  I have taught her some of the basics of riding on our FJ: bike on center stand, her on it and practicing control operation until she can operate everything quickly and confidently with her eyes closed, moving the bike by hand around our gravel driveway, and low speed riding in a large parking lot up to third gear, using the front brake, rear brake and both simultaneously.  She has done well, and this Sunday we are going to a cookout at a friends house who lives on a road with a nice three mile circuit for her to ride on.  And she has been involved with the repairs also. :empathy3: (I am the confused one!)  I am one of those wackos who believe that horsepower is controlled by the throttle, so I feel confident in her ability to learn to ride this beast.
                  Murray :music:
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - Winston Churchill  (falsely attributed to George Orwell)

Marsh White

Quote from: ssuv93 on July 18, 2009, 02:00:17 PM
I am one of those wackos who believe that horsepower is controlled by the throttle, so I feel confident in her ability to learn to ride this beast.
                 Murray :music:

Well, stereotypically speaking, women usually have FAR better judgment than men in regulating the throttle.  It sounds like you are doing a great job of getting her familiar with the FJ!  It is a heavy bike, but as long as she has the muscle to handle it in the day to day...it seems like she'll do fine.

I would NEVER put my wife on an FJ as a first (or first-ish) bike...but you seem well grounded...and if you made that decision then it must mean that your wife is up to it!!   :good2:   Good for you!  We need more women on FJs!  Keep us posted on her progress!

ssuv93

Marsh,
     My wife is 5' 11" and slender.  But once when I was partially paralyzed, (temporarily due to allergic reaction to anesthesia given during an operation), I needed to go to the bathroom and she picked me up to a standing position, from a lying position, and walked/carried me to the bathroom.  Tag line?  I weighed 300 lbs at the time.  She is my spotter on off road jaunts and can run a winch line with the best of them.  Oh, she is also very proficient with a 1911 45ACP and an S&W M&P .40.  I think that I am one of the luckiest/blessed husbands on the planet.  :good2: 
                                 Murray