News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

introduction

Started by hillbillyrider, March 12, 2012, 02:17:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hillbillyrider

Hi,my name is Jim. I live in southeast WV and have rode motorcycles for about 43 years.I now have a wee-strom,K75C,F650 and a 84 FJ1100. I always wanted an FJ,but I guess I waited to long. I purchcased the FJ last fall and restored a mint condition 84 model with intentions of riding it alot,but its too uncomfortable for me and my aching back. So its going to the classic bike auction this friday & sat. in Fishersville,VA. I hate to part with it,but too many bikes in the garage. It only has 9500 miles,original tool pouch,and bill of sale of 84. If something on here is interested please contact me quick. I'll get it in the for sale ads tonight. Its a red,silver&blue model.  Thanks,Jim

anson45

Jim,
   Welcome! I lived in Elkins for a short while.. '74,'75... You do not have to sell your FJ. I also have a back problem. A Corbin saddle and a bar kit solved it. When I first got the FJ every other ride I would come home in pain and swear I was going to sell that bike. Since I put the Corbin on it is the bike I ride the most. I put more miles on it last season than the other three bikes combined. Put a high reserve on it!
Anson  
1980 XS650SG (Sold after 24 years of fun.)
1981 XS650H
1983 XVZ1200 (original owner)
1989 FJ1200

FJmonkey

Welcome Jim, my knees kill me the most, 200 miles an I need a stretch and piss. I could go 400 for the piss but since my knees need the break, might as well. I can say +1 on the Corbin, but it lowers my ass so my knees take the hit. I am gonna add an inch or more to a second Corbin to see if that helps my old knees. Good luck.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

terryk

Quote from: FJmonkey on March 12, 2012, 08:31:26 PM
Welcome Jim, my knees kill me the most, 200 miles an I need a stretch and piss. I could go 400 for the piss but since my knees need the break, might as well. I can say +1 on the Corbin, but it lowers my ass so my knees take the hit. I am gonna add an inch or more to a second Corbin to see if that helps my old knees. Good luck.

but it lowers my ass so my knees take the hit. FJ dirty talk.

FJmonkey

Quote from: terryk on March 12, 2012, 08:49:28 PM
Careful Terry, your dark side is starting to show.....
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

terryk

Quote from: FJmonkey on March 12, 2012, 08:51:13 PM
Quote from: terryk on March 12, 2012, 08:49:28 PM
Careful Terry, your dark side is starting to show.....

Sorry bud....

Pat Conlon

Hello Jim, if/when your '84 does go to auction, what do you expect it to sell for? Is there a reserve?

Please report back to us on the selling price, also be sure to let the new (lucky) owner know about our web site.

It's a shame about your back, FJ's are one of the most comfortable bikes around. Small tweaks and it can be dialed in to you.
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

hillbillyrider

Quote from: Pat Conlon on March 13, 2012, 01:38:54 PM
Hello Jim, if/when your '84 does go to auction, what do you expect it to sell for? Is there a reserve?

Please report back to us on the selling price, also be sure to let the new (lucky) owner know about our web site.

It's a shame about your back, FJ's are one of the most comfortable bikes around. Small tweaks and it can be dialed in to you.         
Thanks for any & all advice,but I think I'll have to part ways with it at this time. Hoping to ask $3500 at auction and have a reserve of $3000. Does that sound reasonable? I just couldn't bring myself to modify this FJ with the original condition it is in. Great for a collector. Maybe a 1200 with bar risers & corbin someday. Thanks,Jim
Ot

anson45

Hi Jim,
    I'm sorry to hear you are selling. I think having a FJ as a collectible is some kind of sin for sure. I have thought of buying a "certain bike" and never ride it. Just have it in my living room to look at and polish on our long winter nights, but a FJ? No that is a bike that was built to ride.
Wish you the best,
Anson
1980 XS650SG (Sold after 24 years of fun.)
1981 XS650H
1983 XVZ1200 (original owner)
1989 FJ1200

ribbert

I could go 400 for the piss but since my knees need the break, might as well.

Has it come to this!  I can remember a time when bragging was about the 1/4 mile, top speed and dragging off the cops,  now it's about bladder performance.  Ah well, we are getting older.
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

1tinindian

Quote from: ribbert on March 18, 2012, 09:37:10 AM

I could go 400 for the piss but since my knees need the break, might as well.

Has it come to this!  I can remember a time when bragging was about the 1/4 mile, top speed and dragging off the cops,  now it's about bladder performance.  Ah well, we are getting older.

I think this is why I enjoy this site so much...just alot of older bastards like myself trying to get the best out of our remaining riding years before the next set of wheels we ride is a wheel chair!

Ride on you bunch of old, graying, and worn out riders, I'm proud to join ya!

Leon

PS- Let me offer my welcome to you, Jim, and I wish you the best of luck in the sale of the FJ.
"I want to be free to ride my machine without being hassled by the "man"!
91 FJ1200