News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Oil warning light

Started by scapello, July 23, 2009, 04:38:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scapello

It seems my oil warning light is coming on more often than it used to. It used to only come on during hard acceleration up a hill. I assumed that this was due to the location of the sensor in the front of the pan. Now it also seems to be coming on while idling on the slightest incline. The oil has less than 1000 miles on it and the looking glass shows near full when on level ground. The only major difference is that it is hotter now but only in the high 80's to mid 90's. :nea:

Thoughts?

Steffen

'89 FJ1200
'76 CB750Four
'74 RD250

scapello

49 views and not a single suggestion??? :unknown:
Steffen

'89 FJ1200
'76 CB750Four
'74 RD250

Arnie

How about a guess - Since you have had the bike for a while, I'll assume you know how to change your oil and fill it to where it needs to be.
With oil in it while not running, then the only 2 reasons it would register a low LEVEL of oil when running would be that the oil is not draining back to the pan because of a blocked oilway or that the level sensor is not reading correctly.  The sensor could be broke or you have an electrical fault that is falsely causing the light to come on.

Cheers,
Arnie

scapello

Thanks for the guess Arnie. I am worried about the blocked passage as well. On a '89 with 70k miles the electrical is also always a possibility.

My main reason for posting was just to see if this was a "common" issue or not, it seems I might have to start digging.

Steffen

'89 FJ1200
'76 CB750Four
'74 RD250

Arnie

Steffen,

When you DO find out what the problem IS.... Please post for all the rest of us that also have aging bikes.

Cheers,
Arnie

racerrad8

There is not an oil "passage" that can become blocked and restrict oil flow back to the oil pan. The sensor is a float inside of the brass housing. There is a possibility that the float has become saturated and if not maintaining the actual oil level.

The oil light has not connection to oil pressure within the engine. There is no low oil pressure warning system, only oil level.

On a side not, yesterday when my wife and I were out on a ride we stopped for lunch. Upon the resumption of the ride, she pulled over within a couple of miles and told me her oil light was coming on around the corners. I checked the level on the side of the road and told her to make sure it did not come on and stay on. Upon completion of the ride she told me it came on a few more times, then did not come on after that.

I will price out the oil level sensor next week when I get back to the shop.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

scapello

Thanks Randy,

let me know how much it is and if it worked for your wife.

Steffen
Steffen

'89 FJ1200
'76 CB750Four
'74 RD250

Pominoz

exact same concern posted on the UK FJ Forum, http://www.fjfjrbiker.co.uk/index.php?topic=3278.0
Seems like it's not uncommon and nothing to worry about. Happens on my '84 1100 too.

TRoy

locate the end of the pigtail for the oil level sensor.. unplug it and clean all the accumulated oil, sand & grunge from the connectors. check to make sure the wire is not chaffed especially where the wire passes thru the metal wire-locating-bracket(s).

take off the exhaust (where required). drain oil. remove oil level sensor. put on eye protection. clean the oil level sensor with brakleen or equivalent. lubricate oring and install.

Peace & Love
86FJ 100K+
07Burg650
15Downtown300

xt550

I realy dont know if this has anything to do on a MC forum but a "dude" i know "cleans" engines by mixing 30% disel and the rest oil to clean honda CAR engines.
He start's it for a minut with this mix and then change filters and oil.
It may work if you, dont start the engine, AND you still have the mix in your oil cooler and other places!!!!
So you have to know what you are doing!!!!!!!!
:ireful: :blush: :ireful: :blush: :ireful: :blush:
It may help but be very very carefull!!!!

mikesmith

Same problem on my 1984 FJ1100. Only just started to happen at 80,000kms - infrequent and usually when turning right uphill. Hopefully just a sensor problem and not too much to worry about.
Pom down under.

FJRider001

I GET an oil light on acceleration  with the oil level correct... previous owner says its a sensor problem.... doesn't make me feel better about seeing this big red light appear on my dash... he said and i quote, oil level is correct, this sensor is not reading correctly...not worth the 280 bucks to correct this thing...as he says the stealership wants but how do i now this is for real?!>? :empathy:
Chris
1984 FJ 1100
1987 Buick GN
2005 F-150 Work Ride

rktmanfj

You could do that, but if you are accelerating hard enough to move the oil from the sensor, it won't fix your problem.     :empathy3:

Keep the oil level at the top of the sight glass to minimize it.

Remember, it's a level sensor, not pressure.  If you know there's enough in it, don't worry too much about it.

Randy T
Indy

the fan

Look thru this file that Pat posted up yesterday:
http://fjowners.com/index.php?topic=743.0

I looked it over quickly last night and remember seeing something about the ignition switch being a possible culprit in false oil readings. seems odd, but worth a look see.

draku

although it is an old topic, I write here:
bike: Yamaha FJ1200, 1991, 3XW, UK model
problem: oil warning lamp is on..
I rebuilt the whole bike, since last November. frame, engine, fairing, electrics, etc.
I cleaned and repair all electrical harness, parts, etc. I discovered that the oil level sensor not working, so I replaced it with used one of Yamaha FZR250. It is identical in form and function.
I checked it before mount as the Haynes manual said and is ok (normal position - ohmmeter=infinite, upside-down position - ohmmeter=0)
if I disconnect the wire under the oil filter, the oil warning lamp go off
I filled engine with new oil up to the maximum.
if I check the sensor (mounted on the engine) with the ohmmeter, I can read 0. that mean oil sensor it's ok.
nevertheless oil warning lamp is on
any ideas?
thanks

PS
I have not yet installed all the electric parts. I have to mount signal lamp, rear stop lamp and gas sensor (tank)