News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

No start-only clock, taillight, and markers on.

Started by chunky, August 20, 2009, 10:08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chunky

89 fj1200
There is no dash anything showing, doesn't even try to start. Tail lights and markers are on, no headlight. Battery is good, fuses good, and already checked the starter switch. Any ideas?

RichBaker

Kill switch set to OFF??  Wouldn't be the 1st time..... :dash1: :dash2:
Rich Baker - NRA Life, AZCDL, Trail Riders of S. AZ. , AMA Life, BRC, HEAT Dirt Riders, SAMA....
Tennessee Squire
90 FJ1200, 03 WR450F ;8^P

chunky

Marsh White

I don't have an answer...just a train of thought really.  The fact that you SAY that your battery is good, and that ALL of the fuses are good AND that the headlight is NOT on is very suspicious to me.  It really does sound like the "Starter Switch" problem...see, because the starter and the headlight are on the same fuse and same circuit.  So, double check the fuse....and take apart the starter switch housing and/or check the plastic electric connectors for that starter switch housing (I am meaning the wiring harness from the housing to the main wiring harness of the bike) and make sure they are not corroded.  Anyway - that's my 1st take on it...

Dan Filetti

Check/ bypass the neutral safety -side stand switch cutout (or whatever it's called) as well.  Had an FJ owner buddy of mine years ago give me a short wire with the right clips on both ends to easily do the bypass.  He did this after his bike would not start, and it turned out to be the side stand switch. He made a by-pass wire -maybe an inch long.  He made an extra for me, nice guy.  I never had to use it though.

Worth looking at.

Dan
Live hardy, or go home. 

racerman_27410

the last time i had a catastrophic battery failure the tail light would work ... no headlight and it wouldnt try to turn the engine over or do anything else.

Frank

SlowOldGuy

Quote from: Dan Filetti on August 21, 2009, 07:23:05 AM
Check/ bypass the neutral safety -side stand switch cutout (or whatever it's called) as well.  Had an FJ owner buddy of mine years ago give me a short wire with the right clips on both ends to easily do the bypass.  He did this after his bike would not start, and it turned out to be the side stand switch. He made a by-pass wire -maybe an inch long.  He made an extra for me, nice guy.  I never had to use it though.

Worth looking at.

Dan

Hey Dan,
Guess where that little jumper wire ended up?

In the back pouch of the Corbin backrest you sold me, after the very unfortunate fire.  :-(

I still carry it in my tankbag just in case.

DavidR.

fitzsimons53

hey i wanna thank everybody for the advice my roomate is "chunky" he found the site for me but ya i got a new battery ad that wasnt it so im just going to spend a few hours troubleshooting to see what it could be but on the bright side i was riding it all day yesturday before it happened and i gotta say this is the nicest bike ive ever owned!! I'm still happy with it evan though it has its issues. But hey im a camaro  guy im used to things breaking! lol :dash2: :dash2:

rktmanfj

Quote from: fitzsimons53 on August 21, 2009, 02:37:52 PMBut hey im a camaro  guy im used to things breaking! lol :dash2: :dash2:

Amen, brother!

Randy T
Indy

Dan Filetti

Quote from: SlowOldGuy on August 21, 2009, 10:34:40 AM

Hey Dan,
Guess where that little jumper wire ended up?

In the back pouch of the Corbin backrest you sold me, after the very unfortunate fire.  :-(

I still carry it in my tankbag just in case.

DavidR.

Ha!  That is very funny.  Could not have gone to a nicer guy!  I don't think I ever so much as looked in there before I sent it off.  I guess it's good that I did not have a couple of 20's in there. :)  Hope you never have to use it....

Heal well David.

Dan
Live hardy, or go home.