News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Hello from Dutchess County, NY

Started by thaduke2003, March 28, 2012, 08:23:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thaduke2003

Hey all. Just purchased a mint '85 FJ1100. 32K miles on it, but in great shape. The bike used to be a regular at Laconia, apparently, and looks to be well cared-for. I'll post pics Friday once I get a chance to look her over.

Apparently all the hydraulics were recently flushed/filled/bled, and the oil was changed. They don't think the valves have ever been adjusted, but it sounds tight. Sadly, I bought it on a rainy day, so I only got a brief, gentle ride, but everything seems in order. The rear suspension seems a bit soft, though- is this normal?
Other than that, I'm stoked! Came with the OE service manual, and they're looking for the owner's manual, and the dude is dropping it off tonight.
Any FJ-nuts in my area? I'm in Clinton Corners NY, right off the Taconic- I'd love to meet some folks! Hope to see you all soon! Mark W.

FJmonkey

Cool, another red and White in the club, you are gonna love it here. We will help you keep the Kookaloo in the red zone.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

thaduke2003

Thanks! Just took the bike out for a quick run up and down the street- wooh! Nice bike! I'm in love :)

That said, on warm-up it was popping a bit- is that normal? Bad gas? No clue when the tank was last filled, so that's my hope- it went away after my "Italian tune-up," but I'll see if it does it again next time it's cold- Mark W.

FJmonkey

Quote from: thaduke2003 on March 28, 2012, 09:34:30 PM
Thanks! Just took the bike out for a quick run up and down the street- wooh! Nice bike! I'm in love :)

That said, on warm-up it was popping a bit- is that normal? Bad gas? No clue when the tank was last filled, so that's my hope- it went away after my "Italian tune-up," but I'll see if it does it again next time it's cold- Mark W.
The FJ motor likes to be quite warm before giving it the spurs...Make sure she is warmed up for a few min on choke and a few more off choke after some miles on the road..... The air cooled engine likes to be warm for proper Kookaloo.....

thaduke2003

That's what I figured- yeah, I grew up riding older air cooled Zukes (GT550, GS550), and am used to long warm-ups. I will say, this one felt good with only a couple minutes of warm-up.

Also, the fuel gauge doesn't work :-\ Never had one before, and don't too much care, but grr! :) Mark W.

racerman_27410

welcome to the group!

I would have to say the best money ever spent on an FJ is upgrading the suspension!

a nice set of cartridge forks up front (or a set of cartridge inserts) and a penske sport shock on the back will bring the bike to life
and make your ride so much more enjoyable!

KOokaloo!

thaduke2003

Sounds good, man. Where can I find those? Mark W.

FJmonkey

Quote from: thaduke2003 on March 28, 2012, 09:45:25 PM
That's what I figured- yeah, I grew up riding older air cooled Zukes (GT550, GS550), and am used to long warm-ups. I will say, this one felt good with only a couple minutes of warm-up.

Also, the fuel gauge doesn't work :-\ Never had one before, and don't too much care, but grr! :) Mark W.
Fuel gauges are for wimps, my gauge works some of the time, I have always used miles to determine fill up points. Keep your fuel in mind at all times....
But I tend to out do others and show off getting 50mpg when others are getting much less and still keeping up with the big dogs.... Moparman can confirm my claim.... 

thaduke2003

True. I've always gone by that shiny thing under my face- when my male bits start to ache, check the fuel tank :) Or when I'm passing  "last fuel for xxx miles" :)

Are there any other simple bolt-on type mods I can do? I'm an auto tech, so I'm pretty handy, but I'm still learning on bikes- Mark W.

racerman_27410

Quote from: thaduke2003 on March 28, 2012, 09:53:57 PM

give these guys a call..... they have some good experience with getting our FJs setup properly.

http://www.traxxion.com/sporttouringsuspension.aspx

KOokaloo!

racerrad8

Quote from: thaduke2003 on March 28, 2012, 09:53:57 PM

Here is a new option for the front forks; RPM Fork Valve.

You can read about them here; http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=6114.0

There is also a rear shock being designed and built with the same technology and I hope to get to started testing in a couple more weeks.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

cyclenutk75

Welcome aboard, Mark.  Bet you'll be hearing from the NE FJ Rally guys about their shin dig in Maine.
GT
Simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought.

thaduke2003

That's a bit of a ride for me this year, but maybe next year!

Also, discovered an interesting "feature"- the start switch sticks down, and kills the headlight- did NOT know that before I headed home from work tonight- holy crap my pants, Batman! Exciting stuff, these FJ's! :) Mark W.

weymouth399

Quote from: thaduke2003 on March 29, 2012, 07:57:18 PM
That's a bit of a ride for me this year, but maybe next year!

Also, discovered an interesting "feature"- the start switch sticks down, and kills the headlight- did NOT know that before I headed home from work tonight- holy crap my pants, Batman! Exciting stuff, these FJ's! :) Mark W.

It's not that far :shok: There are people coming from farther away than that, that will be going that way,ish. Just over 300ish mi maybe( to lazy to route it) It will be FJ bliss.

Bob W
84 FJ 1100
86 FJ1200
89 FJ1200
5  FJ POWERED race cars
76 LB80 Chappy
93 KX500 ice for sale
00 KX500 ice/dirt
04 KDX220 dirt for sale
04 KX500 ice
08 KLX450 ice/road
72 CT90x2 for sale

thaduke2003

True, but I like to learn about the bike, and prove it over shorter trips first. Since I just got it yesterday, and it's already pulling pranks on me, I have a ways to go yet before I trust it out of state, let alone across 3-4! :) Mark W.