News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

86 FJ1200C resurrection

Started by FJdave1200, April 07, 2012, 08:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FJdave1200

Well my engine is running late. However, I did finally get my forked rebuilt. Not as easy as I had hoped. I had to replace several parts in the top of each fork. There was moisture damage.  I am close to having a rolling chassis again. Bead blasting and painting parts. Rebuilding  the master cylinder and front brake calipers next weekend. Seems someone on this site recommended replacing the brake lines. What would you recommend? I do not want to run DOT3 brake fluid again. Anybody found a good silicon alternative they like?
" All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"

Burke

FJmonkey

If you change all the rubber bits contaminated by Dot 3 and you have clean dry system then use Dot 5. Will not harm paint or most plastics. Dot 5 has slightly more squish to it so switch over to steel braided likes. You really should anyway as you are way over due to replace the 20+ year old OEM lines. Don't want one of them rupturing when you really need to stop. Dot 5 will not absorb water, if you live where its wet you will want to flush more frequently to prevent any rust inside your braking system. Hope this helps...
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

FJdave1200

Dot 5 sounds like the ticket thanks FJMonkey. Where is a good place to order lines from. I would like to get everything on hand for next weekend , if I can.

Burke

rktmanfj

I've used DOT5 fluid for several years now, and like it.

No particular brand for me, as it all meets the same spec... I use the generic looking stuff from Auto Zone:

IMO, the rubber parts don't get 'contaminated' by the glycol-based fluids.  Using contact cleaner for cleaning any reused parts should be all that is needed to swap over to DOT5.

Bonus is that the reservoirs no longer look like specimen cups.    :good:

FJmonkey

Quote from: FJdave1200 on April 08, 2012, 08:59:30 AM
Dot 5 sounds like the ticket thanks FJMonkey. Where is a good place to order lines from. I would like to get everything on hand for next weekend , if I can.
For the lines you can order them from Galfer http://www.galferusa.com/brake-lines-for-street-sport-racing-motorcycles/

Or you can look for a local shop that makes them while you wait. Mine came from Orme Brothers. http://www.ormebrothers.com/

Others may offer advise on brake line sources as well.

FJdave1200

Add www.helUSA.com to the list. They list OEM steel braided lines for the FJ1200 . I'll let you know how they workout.

Burke

rktmanfj

If you plan to experiement with upgraded calipers and master cylinders, you might want to consider Spiegler lines.  The banjos on theirs can be turned to any position you want.  I'm not sure if anyone else offers fittings like that.

That feature was very useful when I swapped to the YZF750  clutch m/c, as the brand new Galfer line I had on hand would not fit.

FJmonkey

Quote from: rktmanfj on April 08, 2012, 10:26:33 AM
If you plan to experiement with upgraded calipers and master cylinders, you might want to consider Spiegler lines.  The banjos on theirs can be turned to any position you want.  I'm not sure if anyone else offers fittings like that.

That feature was very useful when I swapped to the YZF750  clutch m/c, as the brand new Galfer line I had on hand would not fit.

Very good to know if you are not quite sure exactly what you need. Them braided lines do not like to twist at all. I am guessing you can get away with being off +/- 5% in twist, more than that and you need a new line.

big r

My last post did not show up. I bought some lines from an outfit called Rennsport for 127.00. They have an adjustable end on them so you can get the orientation right. They were only two weeks from the time I sent the money order to the time of delivery. They look and came in black,they will custom make any line you need. I ordered two lines for the front as I am eliminating the anti dive, a clutch line and a rear brake line. They are on Ebay in the motorcycle parts section. Big R

The General

Quote from: FJmonkey on April 08, 2012, 10:41:45 AM
Quote from: rktmanfj on April 08, 2012, 10:26:33 AM

Very good to know if you are not quite sure exactly what you need. Them braided lines do not like to twist at all. I am guessing you can get away with being off +/- 5% in twist, more than that and you need a new line.
Recently discovered Braided lines with screw on connections to the banjo are illegal in Queensland and will not pass for registration. (my 1.94 U.S. cents worth) :unknown:
`93 with downside up forks.
`78 XS11/1200 with a bit on the side.
Special edition Rocket Ship ZX14R Kwacka

The General

Quote from: rktmanfj on April 08, 2012, 09:09:14 AM
I've used DOT5 fluid for several years now, and like it.

No particular brand for me, as it all meets the same spec... I use the generic looking stuff from Auto Zone:

IMO, the rubber parts don't get 'contaminated' by the glycol-based fluids.  Using contact cleaner for cleaning any reused parts should be all that is needed to swap over to DOT5.

Bonus is that the reservoirs no longer look like specimen cups.    :good:

I know Dot 5 and Dot 5.1 are incompatible with each other, but a reliable source tells me 5.1 is the Go in FJ1200`s. Any truth to this?
`93 with downside up forks.
`78 XS11/1200 with a bit on the side.
Special edition Rocket Ship ZX14R Kwacka

rktmanfj

DOT5.1 fluid is glycol based, & similar in composition to the other glycol fluids, but the boiling point is higher.