News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Oil not draining

Started by Shaun, July 29, 2009, 03:30:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shaun

I went to do some basic tlc plugs brake pads and oil change, dropped the exhaust removed the drain plug and out dribbled not much. However the oil glass said it was full no oil light showing up top. So took out oil filter and a little more dribbled out, but no where near the specified amount of oil. Next step put the key in the ignition and turn the bike over and pump the oil out the oil filter port, is this normal? Bike seems to run fine, no oil issues to notice. Thoughts on this?
Shaun

racerman_27410

did you take the entire plug out or just the screw in the center?

Shaun

As far as I know I took the whole drain plug out, I didn't see a screw in the allen head plug. Is there something else in there that I should know about, didn't see anything else in the manual other than what I did. I'll have another look tonight when I get home.
Shaun

Marsh White

Shaun,

It sounds to me like you have confused the drain plug with something else.  The main oil drain plug is on the bottom of the oil pan, dead center and towards the front wheel.  It is a big bolt head...it is not an Allen.  Maybe you took out one of the oil galley plugs on the side of the engine instead? 

Harvy

17mm socket from memory.

Harvy
FJZ1 1200 - It'll do me just fine.
Timing has much to do with the success of a rain dance.

SlowOldGuy

You might want to invest in a manual and do a little reading before you go much further.

DavidR.

andyb

You've pulled one of the oil galley plugs I'd wager. You'll know when you get the drainplug out.  Look very carefully at what you're doing, it's in the middle of the oil pan just as you'd expect it to be. 

Don't destroy the galley plug when you put it back in, easily done.

Shaun

I may have mixed the two up, the plug I removed is centered, (right above the exhaust collector) faces the right side of the bike but more to the rear tire though. So yeah I will reread my manual again and make sure I have correctly identified the part and its location. As for replacing the plug with out damaging it, it went back in just fine, thanks for the caution note.

mst3kguy

look for the largish bolt with the phillips head in the middle of it.  but use a socket, not a screwdriver.  and don't mess with the oil drain screw on your stock oil filter housing, you'll strip that in no time.  just remove the whole thing using another socket, and remember the order of the parts inside (filter, spring, and washer).   i haven't had one on in years, maybe someone can chime in hear and state the order of the aforementioned parts inside the oil filter housing.
dean
2014 triumph street triple r
2019 ktm 1290 superduke gt

Yamifj1200

When removing the filter remember to remove the thin washer from the gasket on the old filter, or you will be digging in the trash to get it back... DAMHIKT

Eric M

http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=14833.0

"All unattended children will be served an espresso and given a puppy"

Ratchet_72

Quote from: Yamifj1200 on July 30, 2009, 09:58:47 PM
When removing the filter remember to remove the thin washer from the gasket on the old filter, or you will be digging in the trash to get it back... DAMHIKT

Eric M

When removing the filter remember to.......throw it in the F@#$ trash.  Got a RPM Spin On Oil Filter Adapter from Randy and its one of the best convenience mods I've done to my FJs.

Jason Cox
-------------------------------
2000 Honda CBR1100XX
1977 Ironhead
Sacto, CA.

Yamifj1200

Quote from: Ratchet_72 on July 31, 2009, 01:48:17 PM
Quote from: Yamifj1200 on July 30, 2009, 09:58:47 PM

Eric M

When removing the filter remember to.......throw it in the F@#$ trash.  Got a spin on oil filter adapter from Randy and its one of the best convenience mods I've done to my FJs.

Yep me too, much better than the stock unit..... and now I dont have to dig in the trash to get that damn washer back.......lol

Eric M

http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=14833.0

"All unattended children will be served an espresso and given a puppy"

Bigfoot

Crap. Just changed my oil and filter. No washer in there, just the spring. So how bad is that? It was obviously running without it, probably for quite some time.
1984 FJ1100
1980 XS1100 Midnight Special

Bob

I ran without the oil filter washer for years (ignorance) without a problem. 
Now I use the spin-on adapter.

Bob N.
'93 FJ
'17 V-Strom DL650
Whitby, ON

Bigfoot

Anyone know the dimensions for the washer? Is the size that critical or will one that is close enough work?
1984 FJ1100
1980 XS1100 Midnight Special