News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

possible dead fuel pump

Started by turbocamino, June 20, 2012, 12:08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turbocamino

For as long as i can recall,when i turn the key the f/pump would click click click for several seconds then stop....as of late, i get one click maybe two,then stop, but bike ran fine.  Today,no click and bike hardly ran (like on 2 cyl)    Last test...i undid the line going into the carbs and turned the key, checking flow with zero back pressure and nothing.  Dead pump for sure,yes.  thanks
89 FJ1200 saphire.blu owned 8-9 years.  By far the most satisfying of them all. Constant tinkering got me the best bike you could ever want.

threejagsteve

I'm currently wrestling with a similar problem on my '91. Haven't run it for over 2 years, which is why I haven't been around here for a while.

Before jumping to the conclusion that the pump is bad, check that it's getting a full 12V. You can do this by pulling the fuel pump relay connector. Connect the positive lead of a voltmeter to the red/white wire (red/black on B models) and ground the negative side to the frame. Turn your keyswitch on, you should be getting 12V. If it's not at least close, you've got dirty connectors, and cleaning them is the next indicated step before springing for a pump.

I did this yesterday and found that I'm only getting 9V -- at the moment I'm trying to generate the ambition to tackle this chore.

Hope this helps...
"If you wanna bark with the big dogs, you can't pee with the puppies!"

fj11.5

randy at rpm  sells points sets for fuel pumps, and most likely fuel pumps too, , randy for president  :flag_of_truce:
unless you ride bikes, I mean really ride bikes, then you just won't get it

84 Fj1100  effie , with mods
( 88 ) Fj 1200  fairly standard , + blue spots
84 Fj1100 absolutely stock standard, now more stock , fitted with Fj12 twin system , no rusted headers for this felicity jayne

turbocamino

thanks guys... it is getting power as i can hear it trying to do something,like half a burp,  Test lite into the plug shows current as well.  Ordered the airtex from amazon, in the link above from micah360. thanks again.
89 FJ1200 saphire.blu owned 8-9 years.  By far the most satisfying of them all. Constant tinkering got me the best bike you could ever want.

FJmonkey

Quote from: threejagsteve on June 21, 2012, 05:34:57 PM
I'm currently wrestling with a similar problem on my '91. Haven't run it for over 2 years, which is why I haven't been around here for a while.
Steve!!! How the hell are you??? Thought you sold it and moved on, so good to see a post from you. PM me with an update to prevent a ThreadJack...
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Flying Scotsman

I have a 1990 FJ1200 and it has no fuel pump.Turn your 91 into a gravity fed FJ and you dont need a fuel pump.Works for me I can swap carbs from ny 85 to the 90 and vice versa for testing.
1984 FJ1100
1985 FJ1100
1990 FJ1200
1999 GP1200 (165 + hp)