News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Is this worth repair or parts?

Started by 1990FJ1200TX, June 10, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1990FJ1200TX

I have a 1990 FJ 1200 that was in excellent condition, but has sat for over three years in my parents garage unused.  

History:
The bike first sat for a few months, and when taking it out it was running a bit rough.   At that point I ran it dry (I assumed old gas was the culprit), put it on the center stand, and took the battery out, but no other prep was done for storage.  

Today I cleaned the carbs, tossed in two gallons of gas, put her in neutral, and hooked up a battery just to see if she'd live before changing oil/filter/bleeding brakes/etc.    While she turns over, unfortunately there is just a strong smell of gas coming from the exhaust.   Let it sit for ten mins and tried again with the same result.

Unfortunately, I don't have the time to invest in fixing it nor trailering it back to my house, and was wondering if anyone has experience reviving a machine that has sat so long or if its better to just part her out.

Anyone know about how much it would go for if running vs just a parts/fixer upper?   KBB only lists $1880 for "excellent" condition, so I am guessing selling it as a parts/fixer upper is the answer, but would still be helpful to have a really rough ballpark number to go with.

PS: I'm riding a Suzuki DL650 these days; totally different kind of bike but she works for me.  :)

akwusmc

It's definitely worth repair, as long as there isn't anything major wrong with it. My bike's been sitting for about 3 years and I['d never think it would start and run without some fairly intensive maintainance.

Give a little better description of the overall condition, as well as color or the bike and where you are, and someone will get you a better answer.

SlowOldGuy

Does the TX in your ID stand for Texas?  If so, where?  (or if not, where?)

DavidR.

Dan Filetti

Quote from: SlowOldGuy on June 11, 2012, 02:11:37 PM
Does the TX in your ID stand for Texas?  If so, where?  (or if not, where?)

DavidR.

Yeah, it's a small enough state, you guys are most likely neighbors :)

Dan
Live hardy, or go home. 

SlowOldGuy

I'll bet he's within a 3-day drive.  That's practically next door.  :-)

DavidR.

RichBaker

Carbs are still dirty.....  Good luck.  No reason for anything else to be wrong, all she did was sit and build varnish.....
Rich Baker - NRA Life, AZCDL, Trail Riders of S. AZ. , AMA Life, BRC, HEAT Dirt Riders, SAMA....
Tennessee Squire
90 FJ1200, 03 WR450F ;8^P

simi_ed

-- RKBA Regards,

Ed
===
Ed Thiele 
Simi Valley, CA -- I no longer have SoCal manners.
'89 FJ12C (Theft deterrent Silver/White)

- All that is necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for
enough good men to do nothing.

- Edmund Burke

yamaha fj rider

Three years is not that long for a bike sit. Sounds like carbs, fix that you should be good to go. If you can't fix it then send them to Randy (first choice) or a local shop.

Kurt
93 FJ1200
FJ 09
YZ250X I still love 2 strokes
Tenere 700
FJR1300ES