News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

What gear for HOT climates?

Started by I make oil, June 27, 2012, 11:38:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I make oil

I am just getting back into riding and I need to get all new gear.  I've already ordered my helmet, now I need the rest.  I want to get the basics and add as I go.  Also I want to ride safe but where I live in South Louisiana it gets HOT during the summer.  Yesterday it was up to 104 and the humidity.......  If you've ever been to Louisiana you know what I'm talking about.  So what should I get to get the most protection and still be comfortable?  I plan on riding my bike every chance I get so I'd like something that I can wear over regular clothes I guess.  I don't want to walk around with all my riding gear on when I get somewhere.  Any recommendations?  The interweb is awesome for finding deals but there are so many options. I have no idea where to start. :scratch_one-s_head:
Semper Fi

I make oil

Any opinons on the Joe Rocket Phoenix 5.0 in Hi Vis? 
Semper Fi

FeralRdr

I'm a big fan of mesh gear for warm weather riding.  I've never ridden in areas of high humidity, so I'm not sure how comfortable it would be in that climate, but I've ridden in 100o plus weather in Arizona (dry heat) and can tell you that good mesh gear feels like your not wearing any gear at all (at least as long as your moving).  Additionally, a lot of the mesh gear out there also have armor in the knees, hips, elbows, shoulders, and back areas to provide additional impact protection.  Some also come with liners for cold and/or wet weather.  I personally use First Gear's Rush-Tex mesh jacket and their HT Air Overpants.  During warm days, I'll were athletic shorts under the overpants, and a t-shirt under the jacket.

Hope this helps

Dan Filetti

I very much like my 4.0. Definitely cool when moving. It does ride up in the front so I sewed in two hooks that I hook to my belt. The little mod makes it about a perfect hot weather jacket. Have not tested the armor personally though - for which I'm glad, frankly.
Live hardy, or go home. 

Firehawk068

I also use the Phoenix 4.0, and I love it for hot weather riding!
I rode with it in Arizona in 110-115 degree heat, and it worked great.
I also use Tourmaster convertible pants. They are a textile pant, but have zip-off panels to convert them to mesh pants, while still retaining the knee, and hip armor..........
You still get a little hot while stopped, and start to sweat a little, but as soon as you start moving again, the airflow through the mesh cools you right off.

It's good to hear you're not using the heat as an excuse to not wear your gear  :good2:
Alan H.
Denver, CO
'90 FJ1200

RichBaker

1 more for quality mesh gear.... works great in 110F+ heat.
Rich Baker - NRA Life, AZCDL, Trail Riders of S. AZ. , AMA Life, BRC, HEAT Dirt Riders, SAMA....
Tennessee Squire
90 FJ1200, 03 WR450F ;8^P

Firehawk068

Also, get yourself a camelbak, or some other way to carry water, and keep yourself hydrated during hot weather......it will save you!
You wouldn't believe how dehydrated you can get while riding. Drink way more than you think you need............
Alan H.
Denver, CO
'90 FJ1200

I make oil

Thanks for the reply guy's.  I'm def going with the mesh then.  Now I gotta figure out my pants.  I know jeans are not the best choice any opinons for everyday wear?  Almost scaring myself looking at gear.  There are some real ugly stories out there when people are seling riding gear that almost makes me not want to ride.  :scratch_one-s_head: :nea:
Semper Fi

Harvy

Quote from: I make oil on June 28, 2012, 12:24:09 AM
Thanks for the reply guy's.  I'm def going with the mesh then.  Now I gotta figure out my pants.  I know jeans are not the best choice any opinons for everyday wear?  Almost scaring myself looking at gear.  There are some real ugly stories out there when people are seling riding gear that almost makes me not want to ride.  :scratch_one-s_head: :nea:

There are several companies making Kevlar re enforced jeans these days.... Draggin is one of them here in Aus.
They are not as good as leather, but they sure saved my nether regions when I hi-sided a few years back.

Just sayin.

Harvy
FJZ1 1200 - It'll do me just fine.
Timing has much to do with the success of a rain dance.

I make oil

Thanks Harvy.  I'm going to check those out.  I've seen them in the mags.  I'll read up on them. 

Here is the jacet I got.  I like the colors.  They match my bike.  :biggrin:  Kinda squidly I know but I like it.
Semper Fi

FJmonkey

Quote from: I make oil on June 28, 2012, 08:05:53 AM
Thanks Harvy.  I'm going to check those out.  I've seen them in the mags.  I'll read up on them. 

Here is the jacet I got.  I like the colors.  They match my bike.  :biggrin:  Kinda squidly I know but I like it.
No link, we want to see your squidlyness. Can't worse than the Red Power Ranger.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

soundmindryan

I rave about my Tour Master Intake mesh Jacket and I also have the Tour Master Flex pants. They're the convertible mesh ones with zip-off panels and removable thermal and rain liners.It's been 100-106 here in Tulsa the past few days and I ride every day. In the afternoons, I soak a long sleeve t-shirt in water, wring it out and put it on under my jacket for my 30 mile commute home. It's goose-bumpy cool and the shirt is dry by the time I get home.  I've even turned one of my Harley riding co-workers onto the Intake and wet t-shirt.  (popcorn) You get funny looks riding in full gear when it's this hot but they can't see your silly grin from behind your full face helmet. These few tips make for enjoyable hot weather riding. I rode 50 miles in the heat the day before and when I got home I was not hot. (until I pulled into the garage) I can also attest to the armor and abrasion resistance! They've saved my hide. Also, those soakable neck coolers work, too. I have one with the water absorbing crystals. Ditto on shorts under the mesh pants, although the heat off the road is a bit extreme through the mesh on bare legs. I found it's better with light pants under the mesh. I've soaked them, too. (in water) :wacko3:
Ryan McCollum
Tulsa, OK
'89 FJ1200 White & Silver
'90 Yamaha Venture Royale

"I visited a scientist who had a helmet with magnetic fields controlled by computer sequences that could profoundly affect your mood and your perceptions."
-Douglas Trumbull

markmartin

I use Olympia Mesh 'Air Glide' Pants and Jacket.  Cordura and CE approved padding.  I've had them for 3 years and wear them all the time.  They've held up well.  The pants zip up the side for easy on and easy off. Jacket is comfy.  A bit pricey though.

I make oil

The guy I bought the jacket from sold it out of his store and backed out.  He refunded my money. :scratch_one-s_head:  Never had that happen before.  Bought a Phoenix in Hi Viz insted.  I think I'll like that better anyways.  Bought some nice gloves and bidding on another helmet.  Still looking at Pants.  Think I'll wait until I get home and find some.  I hate to buy pants without trying them on first.

I am in Africa right now will post some pics dude-ed up in my gear when I get home.  My bike won't be delivered until July 17th ish.  Then I leave for TN the 20th. I kinda want to bring my bike behind the RV but don't know.  Maybe I should ride it some before I take it up to the mountains.   :unknown:  I go to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge every year at least once so there will be other chances.   
Semper Fi

crzyjarmans

I have been to your neck of the woods, As a long haul truck driver, Been just about every where, I also live in a hot climate, but a dry one, I'm in Las Vegas, NV, Although I am a safe rider, my riding gear consist of a T-shirt, jeans, sneakers, and gloves, most of the time, If it's a little chilly out I may weir a jacket, It's been some time since I've been on a road trip, But when I have done a road trip, I'll bring warmer clothing, Just to be prepared for weather, as I am originally from Mass, cold weather doesn't bother me to much, but the older I get the less I can deal with it 
Shawn Jarman