News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Squid's new toy :)

Started by squidley63, August 10, 2012, 09:53:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

squidley63

Another slight tweak to my fj in the near future. I have an annoying hole in 2 pipes on my v&h header that are way too thin to weld up(about half the normal thickness is left). To put in new pipe section would be a real pain due to how close it is to the collector. So I had been looking for replacement exhaust I came across a stock system for a good price.

Now I am torn about whether to go with the whole stock exhaust and go back to stock jetting or to use the 2 v&h mufflers that I have available and maybe be able to keep my current jetting.

I think that having 2 pipes on an fj just look right and I am definitely going to that look. I just don't want to end up with a modified exhaust that will be a pain to get jetted properly.   If I go stock exhaust complete I don't want to go back to stock air box from my unipods so I would think I may want to use a little more jet than stock for the pods? 

I do have the bike running good with only a little bit of hesitation just off idle as it is now.

baldy3853

Randy should have his new system for sale very soon and its complete headers all the way thru to and including the exhausts and is going to weight a darn sight less then the originals system, Standard system is about 35lbs and his will be about 6  :yahoo:

squidley63

I was under the impression that he was doing a 4 to 1. I really like the twin cans on this bike. It just seems to be missing something on the left side with only one muffler.

squidley63

It seems my fj wants to be cranky. Actually non cranky as it didn't want to start.  After Checking the wires and switches I found the edge of the relay was cracked so that water sat on the board inside. I had thought of just bypassing but images of my bike falling over when cranked stopped me for now. Luckily I found one off eBay that should be here in a few days.

squidley63

After an issue with a supplier off eBay I finally got my bike going only to find my rust removal on my tank did not hold up for long. I had used muriatic acid to get it to bare metal and then rinsed well with water dried it fully in a hot box. I'm guessing I didn't rinse it well enough and it was still acidic causing a flash rust. The fine rust clogged my fuel filter and my carbs need cleaning again. I'm going to get a bit more aggressive with the neutralizing of the acid and hope for the best.

rktmanfj

Quote from: squidley63 on June 02, 2013, 09:55:09 AM
After an issue with a supplier off eBay I finally got my bike going only to find my rust removal on my tank did not hold up for long. I had used muriatic acid to get it to bare metal and then rinsed well with water dried it fully in a hot box. I'm guessing I didn't rinse it well enough and it was still acidic causing a flash rust. The fine rust clogged my fuel filter and my carbs need cleaning again. I'm going to get a bit more aggressive with the neutralizing of the acid and hope for the best.

Try phosphoric acid instead.

From wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosphoric_acid

Rust removal:
Phosphoric acid may be used as a "rust converter", by direct application to rusted iron, steel tools, or surfaces. The phosphoric acid converts reddish-brown iron(III) oxide, Fe2O3 (rust) to black ferric phosphate, FePO4.
"Rust converter" is sometimes a greenish liquid suitable for dipping (in the same sort of acid bath as is used for pickling metal), but it is more often formulated as a gel, commonly called "naval jelly". It is sometimes sold under other names, such as "rust remover" or "rust killer". As a thick gel, it may be applied to sloping, vertical, or even overhead surfaces.
After treatment, the black ferric phosphate coating can be scrubbed off, leaving a fresh metal surface. Multiple applications of phosphoric acid may be required to remove all rust. The black phosphate coating can also be left in place, where it will provide moderate further corrosion resistance (such protection is also provided by the superficially similar Parkerizing and blued electrochemical conversion coating processes).

I got mine in liquid form from Home Depot under the name 'Kleen Strip - Prep & Etch'   < $10 USD/gal.

Randy T
Indy

Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
Psalms 144:1

'89 FJ1200
'90 FJ1200
'78 XT500
'88 XT350

squidley63

I've considered phosphoric as a coating but have run into issues with the resulting converted rust letting loose from the metal.
I've also tried por15 with mixed results because of thicker buildup not curing correctly. I may try to clean with muriatic then convert what's left with phosphoric before neutralizing the tank.

squidley63

I finally have my tank derusted and coated with red kote tank liner. After a mild setback with a leaking fuel petcock I appear to be back on the road. I really appreciate randy@rpm taking the time to look up shipping options even though it ended up being shipped regular.

I still have a hanging idle but all the power seems to be back. I think I need to up the pilot jet to accommodate the pod filters and I have a bit of An oil leak since I checked my valves. I am really enjoying the stock exhaust sound after removing my rotted Vance and Hines exhaust much more to my style and i really like the two pipes out the back look.

Really happy to be back on two wheels after almost 6 months being confined to a cage.

squidley63

I am about halfway through my second tank of gas on the bike. I've checked the filter a few times and its been amazingly clean with just a little red tint that is the color coming out of the new liner. This morning I thought I was having issues with something because I was getting lean popping while cruising down the highway at part or steady throttle. Got home and found that a vacuum cap had gone missing off of cylinder one. Always happy when it turns out to not be a major issue.

I also have been having good luck with fairing pieces from eBay at decent prices. I just got the two pieces for around the tank for a good price. I still haven't had any luck with finding air scoops for the sides yet. Seems like they are being hoarded and made of unobtainium. I have an idea to make some custom covers instead of stock.

I find it very funny that I am basically putting the fj back to stock. I usually take bikes more to a custom look. I guess that I just like the lines of the fj so much that I want mine nice and stock. And I am getting older I guess.

craigslist1340

I'll just give my quick 2 thumbs up for Red Kote. 2 years in the tank and still good. :good2:
John
1985 FJ1100, 1989 FJ1200, 1984 FJ1100, 69-70 Honda z50's times 3,  1973 Honda CT70.

squidley63

I'm very happy with it so far. Tank is completely rust free still and I get red tinted gas for that cool factor.
I just had the light come on on this tank with still no trace of any debris in the tank. I thought I was going to have to go back into the carbs again because of some bad surging with a bit of a backfire but it turns out I lost the vacuum port cap on number 1 carb. While I had the tank off I did a quick carb sink and turned out the mix screws a half turn and now I'm getting hardly any surging and a very happy idle.

Going to put another tank through it this weekend and put on the last pieces of plastics I just got yesterday off eBay. Will put up some pics once they are on to show off where I am with it now.