News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

85' FJ1100 rear suspension parts woes!

Started by mr blackstock, February 12, 2013, 05:43:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr blackstock

While my engine was off at the mechanics getting a valve repaired, plus 3 others just for the fun, valve seat regrinds, and a blasted head, I decided a month or so ago to check the rear suspension bushes as they has started to squeek a lot.  Below is a picture of the moment I decided to do the right thing and replace the lot.

After doing some research about price and availability I came up with the following figures:
(these are the items needed for the refurbishment of a 1984/85 rear suspension)
ITEM   DESCRIPTION              QUANTITY       Partzilla     Local Yamaha dealer

90386-18118-00   bush, nylon             2            $16.3          $46.1
90387-123J0-00   collar                     1            $5.54          $33.3
36Y-22129-00-00   cover, thrust         6            $58.96        $104.7
90386-18129-00   bush, nylon             2                             $122.7
93109-18020-00   oil seal                    4           $19.44      $74.8
1AE-22121-00-00   shaft                     1            $31.55          $76.85
90386-20131-00   bush, nylon             2                             $75.4
90387-125K2-00   collar                     2            $11.72          $92.3
SUB TOTAL                                              $143.51              $626.15
All the parts I bought came to around $250

I compared four other companies, all with different prices, the above runs from the cheapest to the most expensive.  Although Partzilla is the cheapest, bear in mind they also took the longest.  "Partzilla" seems to be a company representing dozens of parts sellers, when you place an order Partzilla waits for all the companies to post the items to one location prior to posting it out to the customer.  Trouble is if companies in the "group" do not update their stock lists, you end up with items falling off your order up to a month after you ordered them as said companies withdraw the items availability!

Postage played a huge part in deciding which company was best, often someone would have a part cheap, but charge almost $50 for USPS to bring you some thrust washers!

Name of the game being take your time, cheapest ain't always best, can take longer.  Go with who you have dealt with prior.  RPM have some great prices on these items, and he is reputable, but I had already ordered when I discovered he sells the above items...

I ended up getting all of what I wanted.  However, I will be dismantling the whole affair again in a year to re-grease, this stuff was expensive! 

Meanwhile I will be looking out for a company that can cut to order nylon bushes cheaper than $50 NOS.

cheers, Gareth

Squeaky wheels always get the grease...

Yamaha FJ1100 1985

movenon

That's a fair amount of corrosion on those pins/bush's. Glad you caught it and are fixing the rear suspension. They seem to get ignored. Look on the bright side, it took over 28 years of marginal maintenance to get that bad. Your new ones will never wear out. :) I have a late model FJ and just finishing up the rear suspension rebuild.
I am using Yamalube marine grease in the reassembly to help deal with water issues. New seals and all that stuff.

I have never worked an early FJ and didn't realize they used nylon bushings. The later swing arms use bearings although two of them are under designed a bit in my opinion and of course they are the harder ones to get to..... I was able to upgrade those bearings in the rebuild process.  Nothing is perfect ! I probably will not pull mine apart every year but every rear tire change or couple of years might be OK unless it see's a lot of abnormal water... Thanks for the pic's.
George

Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200