News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

FJ on a diet (make it lighter)

Started by David Allaband, August 26, 2012, 02:08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JPaganel

Quote from: nurse on September 26, 2012, 07:10:20 AM
ABS (in general) uses computer and sensors to work out differnce between speed of front trye and speed of travel.  When tyre is moving a given amount slower than travel then it assumes the trye is loosing traction and releases pressure of pads on discs then reapplies very quickly then releases until bike stops or you adjust pressure on lever to the point where it no longer thinks traction will be lost.  When it kicks in you no longer have any feel over braking, no control over braking and as the efficincy of the brakes is wore than a more modern braking system that doesnt use abs you are better of without.

" a more modern braking system that doesnt use abs"?

Er... What?

ABS is very common in modern bikes. There are continuous talks about it becoming legally required on new models.  ABS is the more modern braking system.

Now, there are different types  of ABS, and more modern ones are better, but a system that does not have it is not in any way, shape, or form more modern than one with ABS.
1993 FJ1200 ABS

1984 FJ600, up on blocks

1986 FJ1200, flaming wreck, repaired and sold
1986 FJ1200, repaired, ridden, sold

I don't want a pickle
I just want to ride my motorcicle

Little Pink Steve

My Bitsa project is on a diet, it's a 3CV.

But I've always wondered what makes up the weight difference between FJ models?  The 1100 was no lightweight but each incarnation got heavier, considerably heavier.  Interested to find out what the FJ wheels weigh bare.
Currently ride 3CV White 1989

Currently working on a Yamaho FJ Bitsa.

Tuned forks

How bare?  No rotors, bearings, etc?  I've got ZOA NOM's old stock wheels but other than no tires, they are complete.

Joe
1990 FJ1200-the reacher
1990 FZR 1000-crotch rocket

Little Pink Steve

No tyres is good,  be good if between us we could a good weight lose sticky.  Having the weights of standard parts v modified or alternatives.
Currently ride 3CV White 1989

Currently working on a Yamaho FJ Bitsa.