News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

SoCal Fix-Up, Part Deux

Started by threejagsteve, August 17, 2009, 02:51:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

threejagsteve

Well, my motor now being in good order and the chain-cleaning thread having inspired me to do a proper clean-and-adjust of my chain this afternoon, I've turned my attention to the rest of the bike.

Much as I'd love to go all-out with all the trick bits you modifiers are talking about, I'm still unemployed and cash is still tight, so I've gotta do all this as cheaply as possible.

I'd intended to start with the fork seals, then do the brakes, then the tires. But as I thought about it, I realized that doing it piecemeal like that would amount to a lot of extra bolting and unbolting. So I determined that the best course of action would be to just do it all at once.

I've ordered new front caliper seals and a master cylinder rebuild kit from Zanotti ($35 cheaper than my local Yamaha dealer). My current front brake pads are only about half gone, so they're good for a while. I don't use the back brake much at all, except to hold the bike at a red light on a hill, and to tighten my line if a corner turns out to be a bit tighter than expected. ;)  So they're a lower priority for the time being.

Braided stainless lines are actually cheaper than the OEM parts, and I've got a couple of local suppliers to talk to.

Because it still has about half its tread left I was gonna keep the 10-year-old 591 on the front and just make do with a new back tire, but safety (and better fun) won out and I decided it had to go.

So I just ordered a pair of Pirelli Sport Demons from the Motorcycle Superstore - only $228 the pair, including (free for August only) shipping. I'd thought about the Avons, but in my current condition the $50+ price difference was enough to sway me. And while I've been a Dunlop guy since 391 days, the D205s have a tread pattern that looks like it emphasizes the 'touring' end of sport-touring more than the 'sport' end. Not my riding style!

So the week after all the parts arrive should be a lotta fun!

Ever onward and upward!

Cheers,
threejagsteve
"If you wanna bark with the big dogs, you can't pee with the puppies!"

waricle

Let us qnow how you get on with the braided stainless lines- I think that is my next upgrade after the current work.
I've often been asked, 'What do you old folks do now that you're retired'?

"Well. I'm fortunate to have a chemical engineering background, and one of the things I enjoy most is turning beer, wine, Scotch, and margaritas into urine."

simi_ed

Steve, if you do use Orme, it is best to take your old lines with you.  They use the old lines as templates, including the correct ends & rotation of the fittings on the lines.  trust me, it's easier than having to go back again.
-- RKBA Regards,

Ed
===
Ed Thiele 
Simi Valley, CA -- I no longer have SoCal manners.
'89 FJ12C (Theft deterrent Silver/White)

- All that is necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for
enough good men to do nothing.

- Edmund Burke

SlowOldGuy

Quote from: threejagsteve on August 17, 2009, 02:51:15 AM

So I just ordered a pair of Pirelli Sport Demons from the Motorcycle Superstore - only $228 the pair, including (free for August only) shipping. I'd thought about the Avons, but in my current condition the $50+ price difference was enough to sway me. And while I've been a Dunlop guy since 391 days, the D205s have a tread pattern that looks like it emphasizes the 'touring' end of sport-touring more than the 'sport' end. Not my riding style!

Well, I guess that just goes to show you that you can't judge a tire by its tread pattern.  The D205s have given me and many others exceptional performance and wear for many years.  They've never given me a problem and I don't recall anyone ever complaining about them (except for  maybe George, but I'm not sure he ever tried D205s, I think he didn't like the Avons).  Anyway, if you aren't happy with the Pirellis then try the Dunlops next. 

From another thread: The D205 is no longer in production, but continues to be in Dunlop's line up.  They aren't making anymore 205s, but there appears to be quite a bit of stock left.  The 150/80-16 rear wheel size was used on the original Concours forever so we're competing with them for the remaining tires (and there's a heck of a lot more of them than us).

DavidR.

threejagsteve

Thanks, Ed; yes, I'd figured on that.

And David, thanks also for sharing your experience. But while the D205 may be the exception that proves the rule, I think most would agree that the ratio of grooves to tread is usually a good indication of the stickiness of the tire: fewer grooves = a stickier tire = lower mileage expectancy. I may regret the decision when I'm again looking for tires 3-4K mi. down the road, but if I can't afford the 17" rear wheel swap by then, I'll likely be selling the bike for food. ;) (Actually, one of the Jags will probably be the first to go... :P )

Cheers,
threejagsteve

rktmanfj

What parts do you need for the swap?

Randy T
Indy

threejagsteve

Hello, Randy,

For the 17" rear, the answer would have to be "all of 'em" ;)  And since I've got a new 16" rear tire already on the way, I guess it'll be a little while at least before I start down that road.

But if you have a 3.5 x 17 front, I would be interested in putting the new front tire on the wider rim. I have a '91, so I gather that all I'd need would be the rim itself.

Thanks,
threejagsteve

Harvy

Steve, correct. the 87-88 Genesis front wheel is a direct swap.......When I did mine, I replaced bearings, cleaned it, give it a lick of paint from a rattle can, mounted a new tyre and new brake rotors and bolted it straight on......no other parts needed.

Harvy
'91 FJFZ1
FJZ1 1200 - It'll do me just fine.
Timing has much to do with the success of a rain dance.

rktmanfj

Quote from: threejagsteve on August 17, 2009, 07:22:16 PM
Hello, Randy,

For the 17" rear, the answer would have to be "all of 'em" ;)  And since I've got a new 16" rear tire already on the way, I guess it'll be a little while at least before I start down that road.

But if you have a 3.5 x 17 front, I would be interested in putting the new front tire on the wider rim. I have a '91, so I gather that all I'd need would be the rim itself.

Thanks,
threejagsteve

The FZR front I have was sold as an '88, but it's not.       :ireful:

But I do have a YZF rear sprocket carrier, etc. somewhere amongst the rubble, and maybe a complete YZF front brake setup, etc.

Randy T
Indy

threejagsteve

OK, thanks, Randy, I'll keep that in mind. :)

threejagsteve

Midweek Update...

I wanted to go riding this a.m., but I could see it was foggy in the near mountains. No way of knowing how deep the cloud layer was, so I decided 'Maybe tomorrow' and just waited for the UPS guy. By the time the sky cleared, it was too late - had other stuff to do in the afternoon.

The Progressive springs arrived today, with a cut-to-fit length of PVC tube for spacers. Their table says 2-1/4 in. for the '91; I'm already wondering if 2-1/2 in. might be better... Or would it overwhelm the stock damping?

The tires are supposed to arrive tomorrow. I've been also looking for wheels; '87-'88 FZR1000 for the front (of course!), and YZF600 for the back. I haven't even seen any of either that I'd want to use without repainting, but those YZF wheels do seem to come in particularly awful colors! LOL Therefore the new front tire will go on my original wheel so I can have all the parts for both wheels powdercoated at once.
Maybe I'll get 'em done to match my "manly pink stripe"!

Although Zanotti may be the cheapest around, they aren't the fastest. The brake rebuild parts are still "on order" and haven't shipped yet.

And this afternoon I spoke with my friend that has the machine tools. He's busy the rest of the week, but it looks like I'll be able to stop by and make those shorter dogbones on Saturday. And that'd be a good time to cut the spacers for the springs as well; he's got the tools for me to be more precise than is possible here in our apartment.

So I guess aside from continuing to beat the bushes for wheel bargains, I'm on hold until Saturday. After the UPS guy comes tomorrow, I may as well go riding... :D

Cheers,
threejagsteve

rktmanfj

Quote from: threejagsteve on August 20, 2009, 01:35:55 AM

Maybe I'll get 'em done to match my "manly pink stripe"![img width=57 height=38]http://i32.tinypic.com/260a6jd.jpg[/img

Cheers,
threejagsteve

Check with Henry... he may have a set already done, or know where you can get 'em.       :rofl2:

Randy T
Indy

threejagsteve

Brake rebuild parts due on Wednesday.

I'll continue here with repair topics; improvement adventures will be discussed in the Modifications area.

threejagsteve

Well, now I'm pissed! The parts order from Zanotti arrived today.

I had asked one of their online help reps how many caliper rebuild kits I needed to do both calipers. Because of the way it looked on the fiche, I was suspicious that I might need 4 kits. But the rep told me 1 kit for each caliper, so I only ordered 2 kits.

When I opened the box, I saw that there are only 2 o-rings and 2 dust seals in each kit - in other words, you do need 4 kits to redo both 4-pot calipers, so now I have to order 2 more kits and pay additional shipping charges (and probably wait another 9 days)!

I'm tempted to complain, but I can't see what good it'd do - they're not likely to give me free shipping on the second order.  :mad:

ddlewis

Quote from: threejagsteve on August 26, 2009, 02:58:23 PM
Well, now I'm pissed! The parts order from Zanotti arrived today.

I had asked one of their online help reps how many caliper rebuild kits I needed to do both calipers. Because of the way it looked on the fiche, I was suspicious that I might need 4 kits. But the rep told me 1 kit for each caliper, so I only ordered 2 kits.

When I opened the box, I saw that there are only 2 o-rings and 2 dust seals in each kit - in other words, you do need 4 kits to redo both 4-pot calipers, so now I have to order 2 more kits and pay additional shipping charges (and probably wait another 9 days)!

I'm tempted to complain, but I can't see what good it'd do - they're not likely to give me free shipping on the second order.  :mad:

Heck yeah, I'd say something.  It's one thing if you guessed wrong, but if you took the time to call and specifically asked a rep "2 or 4" and they told you wrong they should eat the shipping.  If they won't tell 'em thanks for nothing and buy the other two from University motors..