News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Cold weather gear

Started by WhiteBeard, September 19, 2012, 01:52:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Ramos

Gentlemen,

Yes, stop the wind from getting in: hence the wind/water proof zippers.

Since I had them installed in my riding gear, I do not use a sweater or any "layering", just the jacket liner in extreme cold. Heated gloves for the hands.

And leather is waterproof, last year on the way to the ECFR I spent at least 12 hours (in excess of 800 miles) in the rain & stayed dry & comfortable. I'm in the rain on many cross country rides. My summer gear is my winter gear.

I live in far northern California in the mountains. Any rides entails going to the valley floor or into the high desert. The weather often changes from perfect to in-climate (hot or cold, perhaps rain) during the length of the ride.

Most of this talk is nonsense; while it is true you never know when your number is up, one visit to the hospital for skin grafts far surpasses the cost of proper gear.

As Mr. Conlon (and a host of others) state, not to mention their personal experience, All of the Gear All of the Time.

End of discussion.

Sorry fellas,

Mike Ramos.

Klavdy

Quote from: pdxfj on October 18, 2012, 05:59:42 PM
The biggest thing to keeping warm is to stop the wind from getting in.  Rain gear over your riding gear does wonders, but only for a time.  The cold will penetrate through the layers and reach you.

Personally, my arms and chest get cold.  My legs and feet not too much.  The biggest help for my head was using the neck warmer to cover my neck and chin, plus it reduces the amount of air getting into my helmet.

I'm down in Portland and our temps are into the low 40's for night and mid 50's during the day.  They say snow in the Cascade Mountain as soon as this weekend.  You've got a couple of passes to go through on I-5.  The worst being the Siskiyou's in Southern Oregon.

The cold sneaks up on you.  I rode to one west coast rally and dealt with mid 40's temps from Portland to Grants Pass.  It was foggy the entire time, so no sun to help keep me warm.  My reflexes and judgement was seriously impaired even though I was wearing multiple layers.  After that rally I bought a electric jacket liner.

I'm sure you're tired of us beating the table about gear.  The weather here can change in a matter of minutes and usually not for the better this time of year.  Klavdy and Marsh know first hand what it like not to be prepared.  They rode through blizzard conditions on I-80 West from Reno wearing summer gear.

You're taking one hell of a trip and we want to make sure you make it to your destination unharmed.  Conditions should get better once you're through Northern California. 

Did we what!

But if you're prepared, it's not too bad,even up high,,,

Good gears worth it, it lasts for ages and even if you do come off, it can usually be repaired.
On a tight budget?
Check out "BILT" gear.
Under $300 should see you with a pair of kevlar jeans, a sturdy, water resistant motorcycle jacket with armour and a one piece foul weather suit.

"This guy has got to go. The single most offensive individual I have experienced on the web.
MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

i is a professional website designer, I've built over 100's of sites
And yea I actually get paid for it. about 150 and hour.

FJmonkey

Good to see you check in agent K, hope the ice is not getting too thick.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Flynt

Quote from: Mike Ramos on October 18, 2012, 07:03:01 PM
All of the Gear All of the Time.

End of discussion.

Sorry fellas

Right on brother...  I think these are some of the best dollars spent.  The saying goes "not if, but when" and that when is an accident (not planned by definition).  Do what you want, but I'd rather have the odds tipped my way a bit if possible... 

I'm getting some new kevlar mesh/liner kit that should work year round.  Still have leathers and some kevlar jeans to wear to work on riding days (most days).  I've read stories of kneecap and elbow grinding offs that are entirely avoidable if the right gear was in play.  Father Pat can send us all an Amen on that one (nice to be 100% again?).

Frank
There's plenty of time for sleep in the grave...

Pat Conlon

1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

Goetz

I wear a leather jacket and textile pants, and i have had a few low speed accidents, none on the fj, but the last one , i layed my xs400 down after hitting a patch of pea gravel at the apex of a turn. Got my left foot out in time, and rode the bike thru the slide. Left arm hit the ground fairly hard and i had a friction burn from the liner of the jacket. Glad i had it.

musicman

I wear all textile riding gear, Joe Rocket jacket and first gear pants, leather full gauntlet gloves (with liners if needed). Under that I layer up for the weather, the other day I wore my wranglers, sweat pants over those, and the riding pants of course, under the jacket I wore 2 light weight sweat shirts. I like this because you can remove layers as it gets warm. Though I don't like thick gloves, so I ordered a set of Hippo Hands for the FJ, excited to try them out.
-Steven

1985 FJ1100
1979 GS550E cafe project
2013 NC700X, 78mpg! Adventure project

BadBro

Bro-in-law and I both have Joe Rocket Alter ego jackets, Canadian Edition.  We've been riding the last few days here on Vancouver Island, Canada just south of the 50th parallel.  with tempatures in the single digit (cel.).  No complaints on the jackets at all.  Looking forward to testing their versatility in the summer months.....hmmm summer.
Kevin 1984 FJ1100 UK

BadBro

Recently came back from a great trip thougth BC/Wash. in which we had over 102F tempatures.  The Joe Rocket gear was stripped right down and fully vented, with lots of water.  Worked fine.  A week after this picture was taken there were six landslides in this pass.
Kevin 1984 FJ1100 UK