News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

engine or clutch rattle

Started by carthagewarrior, September 26, 2012, 10:11:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

carthagewarrior

i love my 92 FJ to bits but i have a chain rattle sound..
On cold start it seems to be non existant but as soon as he is warm enough to shut the chock off., rattle rattle rattle... loud and annoying. However some times when i put a little load on the engine it can either lessen or stops all together until the cluch is pulled again.
I have been told to "live with it" but it can be a little embarrassing  :unknown:

Somewhere in the world its beer o'clock

1992 Fj1200 "THOR" 88000km and still going strong!!

Dads_FJ

John S.

'84 Yamaha FJ1100
'89 Yamaha FJ1200
'92 Yamaha TDM850
'80 BMW R100S/Sidecar
'81 Yamaha IT250(H)
'77 Yamaha IT175(D)
'39 BSA WM20

FJmonkey

Find your self a mate near by with an FJ that you can compair you noise to. The starter chain is the frequent offender of rattle like noises. If so then cost to fix it makes most of us just live with it.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

fj11.5

great minds think alike monkey, and sometimes we do too  :lol: , , I said the same thing on his welcome post
unless you ride bikes, I mean really ride bikes, then you just won't get it

84 Fj1100  effie , with mods
( 88 ) Fj 1200  fairly standard , + blue spots
84 Fj1100 absolutely stock standard, now more stock , fitted with Fj12 twin system , no rusted headers for this felicity jayne

FJSpringy

Unless it really drives you nuts, I would live with it until you decide to freshen up the rest of the internals.

Head over to the 013 rally in March next year and you will get to hear a heap of funny noises coming from various FJ's or more likely their inebriated owners   :lol:
I have kleptomania,
but when it gets bad,
I take something for it.

92 FJ1200

carthagewarrior

Is it possibly the clutch boss?? guess im kinda hoping to get out of it lightly hahaha, was just a little worriying cos 400km out here is like a walk in the park!!

carthagewarrior

might be time to get louder exhausts lol :shout:

RichBaker

With only 2300 miles on the clock, when I bought my used '90, the clutch and the cams rattled at idle.... I rode it by my LYS, known them for years, I was told it is normal... Don't worry about it. 18 years later, it still rattles at idle..... 
I look at like a Duc, the dry clutch rattles worse than anything you've ever heard before...
Rich Baker - NRA Life, AZCDL, Trail Riders of S. AZ. , AMA Life, BRC, HEAT Dirt Riders, SAMA....
Tennessee Squire
90 FJ1200, 03 WR450F ;8^P

Flynt

You should hear it with the Keihin Flatsides!  racerman had a great term for it, the "tinkle" of the flatsides.  They rattle back and forth in the grooves they slide in and scare most people passing near while you idle.  Sounds like the thing is ready to self destruct at any moment and you should likely get away. :bomb:

Once you realize it is normal and OK, you can begin to respect these quirks as character elements.  FJ's rattle and clatter, especially if your idle RPM is a little low.  If you add cams and flatsides your FJ will rattle, clatter, tinkle, and lope all at the same time...  now that's character! :rofl2:

Frank
There's plenty of time for sleep in the grave...

andyb

They get worse if the idle's set really low.  1100rpm sounds much nicer than 800.

racerman_27410

Quote from: Flynt on September 28, 2012, 09:56:27 PM

Once you realize it is normal and OK, you can begin to respect these quirks as character elements.  FJ's rattle and clatter, especially if your idle RPM is a little low.  If you add cams and flatsides your FJ will rattle, clatter, tinkle, and lope all at the same time...  now that's character! :rofl2:

Frank

this...... air cooled engines make noises... ride more and worry less! :good2:

KOokaloo!

Frank

FJmonkey

Quote from: racerman_27410 on September 29, 2012, 08:48:48 AM
this...... air cooled engines make noises... ride more and worry less! :good2:

KOokaloo!

Frank
For all you open pipe and dry clutch fans out there..... Loud starter chains saves lives.....
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Jim_C

On cold start it seems to be non existant but as soon as he is warm enough to shut the chock off., rattle rattle rattle...

[/quote]

I have my '94 FJ1200 for two months now, and thism is exactly how mine was. However, I fully serviced it including the valves & carbs balanced. 3 valves were slightly off and the cards were out of sync. With this sorted it's a different bike and is now very smooth and once warmed up idles lovely at 1000 rpm.

It might be worth checking the valves & carbs.

Best of luck!