News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Where's That Oil Filter Crossreference List?

Started by threejagsteve, August 21, 2009, 03:36:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

threejagsteve

I just know that somewhere, in the last couple of weeks, I saw a text list of standard automotive oil filters that can be used in place of the OEM unit for those who haven't (yet) gone for the spin-on adapter.

Not the all-bikes list that's copied in several places; it only lists the Fram CH6006. This is an FJ-only list that has about a dozen different manufacturers and part nos.

I should have saved it when I saw it, but I didn't.

I thought it was here or in the Yahoo group files section, but now when I want it, I couldn't find it to save my life!

I'm sure somebody must have saved it or remember where it is... could you please post a copy or a link or something?

TIA,
threejagsteve
"If you wanna bark with the big dogs, you can't pee with the puppies!"

SlowOldGuy

AFAIK, there are no Automotive filters that replace the OEM FJ filter.  The auto filters only apply to the spin-on adapter.

DaviDR.

pdxfj

You can also use a CH6012 as the filter is the same, but the o-rings are different.  The CH6012 fits the Ninja 250.

Ratchet_72

Jason Cox
-------------------------------
2000 Honda CBR1100XX
1977 Ironhead
Sacto, CA.

threejagsteve

David,

There is a car filter that's virtually identical to the Yamaha unit; I used to use them all the time. But after 6 years of not riding, I can't remember which one it was. It's for an '80s Honda (car) 4-banger or something ubiquitous like that. It used to cost $2-3 at the auto parts. 'Course you don't get any o-rings, but I've found that you really don't need to replace the o-rings with every filter change anyway.

Thanks, pdxfj. I'll keep that in mind.

SlowOldGuy

Quote from: threejagsteve on August 22, 2009, 02:58:59 AM
David,

There is a car filter that's virtually identical to the Yamaha unit; I used to use them all the time. But after 6 years of not riding, I can't remember which one it was. It's for an '80s Honda (car) 4-banger or something ubiquitous like that. It used to cost $2-3 at the auto parts. 'Course you don't get any o-rings, but I've found that you really don't need to replace the o-rings with every filter change anyway.

Wow, I never knew this!  Be sure and post when you find out.

DavidR.

the fan

Here is the list that was in the Yahoo Database. When I get  a few minutes I will put it in the files.

BIG A    96937
CARQUEST    89937
CHAMP, WARNER, LUBER-FINER    P7006
FRAM    CH6006
HASTINGS    LF569
Hi-Flow    HF-401
K & N    KN-401
NAPA GOLD    4937
PUROLATOR    ML16806
STP    MSO06 (Emm Ess Oh Zero Six)
WIX    24937
zNOTE: Thanks to Tim Mintz for this info.    

threejagsteve

So it was there!

I looked everywhere (or so I thought)... where'd you find it?

I guess that's why you're the Files Section Guru! ;)

Schurkey

Quote from: the fan on August 26, 2009, 02:14:27 PM
Here is the list that was in the Yahoo Database. When I get  a few minutes I will put it in the files.

BIG A    96937
CARQUEST    89937
CHAMP, WARNER, LUBER-FINER    P7006
FRAM    CH6006
HASTINGS    LF569
Hi-Flow    HF-401
K & N    KN-401
NAPA GOLD    4937
PUROLATOR    ML16806
STP    MSO06 (Emm Ess Oh Zero Six)
WIX    24937
zNOTE: Thanks to Tim Mintz for this info.    
Tried several searches, got either too many hits to be useful, or only one--this one.

Multiple on-line sources are saying that either the Wix/NAPA oil filter 24937/4937 or the 24940/4940 will work in an '86 FJ1200.  Dimensions that I can find are similar but not identical.  (I can't find a dimension for the center hole)

I've got a few of the 4940 filters on the shelf, they fit my CB1100F.  Am I safe using them in the FJ1200 I bought last night?

racerrad8

Wix changed the 24937 a couple of years ago and it will not longer fit the FJ1200. I would not recommend using any of them marked with that series of numbers.

I stock the genuine Yamaha or Stainless steel FLO filter.

OEM Yamaha Cartridge Oil Filter

FLO Stainless Steel Canister Filter

Or now might be the best time to update to the RPM Spin On Oil Filter Adapter

Randy - RPM

Randy - RPM

FJmonkey

The Spin-On oil filter adapter is the Gate-Way drug to Moditus. My first mod and I love it. No more pinched wires, O-Rings, thin metal washer, just spin-off the old and spin-on the new. 
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side