News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

FJ1500 Turbo EFI Katanaha Project, with a whiff of Nitrous...

Started by Havoc, October 25, 2012, 10:29:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Havoc

Fitted the fuel pressure gauge this afternoon to have a break from the wiring. Had to make up an adaptor to take it from M14 through a 90 degree bend to bsp on the gauge its self.

Back to the wiring  :wacko3:
Dangerous Brothers Racing

VaughanCustoms

So me being new to the site and not having looked at everything on the forum I found this tread and OMG. I am a huge car guy but this build makes me want to sell one of my cars and build my FJ up now. This is the sickest motor. I am not sure what all to say really but very nice work.
Built not bought is always my motto.
1967 Mercury Cougar 289 4V bored .30 over forged internals full ground up build
1998 Ford Mustang Cobra convertible DOHC 4.6 .30 over forged internals, future turbo car. 400 rwhp.
1984 Yamaha FJ1100 street fighter V&H exhaust, re-jet, K&N pods.

Havoc

Thank you.

Many moons ago when we made the headers we failed to spot the position of the positive pressure feed on the waste gate. Had resigned my self to blocking the old hole and drilling and tapping a new one. Decided a bit of work with the old hacksaw, grinder and file might do the job, the same as we did with the exhaust flanges. Used a hole cutter to make the big hole then set about with the saw and grinder.

Very pleased.

Was still too close

There was a couple of mm to be taken out of the brass fitting.

Then linished on me file 

Loads of room

Lambda

Brain to fit where the coils used to sit.

Going to adapt the old FJ pick up, I think 1 of the old ones will do the job.

Also made up the fuel tap.

And yes it will need clamps

fintip

Where did you learn how to build a bike like this? This is truly amazing. Just out of curiousity, how much do you think you could sell this bike for? (You shouldn't, I'm just curious if there is a market for buying bikes pre-made like this; this is the kind of 'custom' that would actually be interesting.)
fjowners.wikidot.com

Not everyone understands what a completely rational process this maintenance of a motorcycle is. They think it's some kind of a knack or some kind of affinity for machines in operation. They are right, but the knack is almost purely a process of reason.
-ZAMM

IBA:54952

Havoc

Hi man. I doubt it would be cost effective to build this sort of thing for profit, it's too 'hand made', like people used to do in the old days. If at all possible I would prefer to make a part than buy one. There's not enough CNC, CAD parts on it to attract the sort of buyer that would spend more on a custom build than a show room bike. I guess I'm about £6500 ($8500 US?)into it on parts etc over the last 3 years, mostly in the motor and the ECU, but I've spent hundreds of hours on it.

Where did I learn? It's a 'needs must' kind of a deal, you figure it out as you go along, I'm a hobbyist, science teacher by trade, but I've been keeping piles of shite on the road since the late '70's. Started with Honda cub field bikes as a kid, Moto X, Trials (Bernie Schreiber was my hero :) ) then Jap muscle bikes in the '80's, drag racing and Harley Chops in the '90's, anything that you can stick petrol in.......

And I've still got everything to learn. Cheers for the interrest  :good2:

JMR

Quote from: Havoc on May 31, 2013, 01:34:28 PM
Hi man. I doubt it would be cost effective to build this sort of thing for profit, it's too 'hand made', like people used to do in the old days. If at all possible I would prefer to make a part than buy one. There's not enough CNC, CAD parts on it to attract the sort of buyer that would spend more on a custom build than a show room bike. I guess I'm about £6500 ($8500 US?)into it on parts etc over the last 3 years, mostly in the motor and the ECU, but I've spent hundreds of hours on it.

Where did I learn? It's a 'needs must' kind of a deal, you figure it out as you go along, I'm a hobbyist, science teacher by trade, but I've been keeping piles of shite on the road since the late '70's. Started with Honda cub field bikes as a kid, Moto X, Trials (Bernie Schreiber was my hero :) ) then Jap muscle bikes in the '80's, drag racing and Harley Chops in the '90's, anything that you can stick petrol in.......

And I've still got everything to learn. Cheers for the interrest  :good2:
Good friend of mine lives in Warrington. I spent some time there and hung out with a good friend of his who's name is Pete Williams. He was one of the pioneers of 2 engine Nitro Triumphs (Two Faced') in the early 60's. Here is a vid of him making an aluminum tank. Towards the end there are some clips one of which is a Hayabusa with all aluminum body work (@ 37:00). I saw him working on the upper fairing.....it is a very complicated piece but he nailed it as shown in one of the clip.
How I make an aluminium motorcycle petrol tank (gas tank) & other alloy metalwork.

Havoc

Now that is true skill, something to aspire to. Enjoyed watching that a lot, thanks man. I have a feeling I've seen it before?. Like I said, I still have everything to learn. :blush:

Dan Filetti

The man is a true craftsman.  I really enjoyed watching it.  Wish I had half his skill. 

Thanks,

Dan
Live hardy, or go home. 

Havoc

Turbo oil feed and outlet today. Mr Dunlop sorted the scavenge pump for me along time ago.

AN-4 feed

Larger AN-6 outlet to pump then return to back of clutch housing. I'm going to have to get a 90 degree bend though as the straight fitting hangs too low and looks messy.

fj1289

Can't wait to see this one running in anger!  First "modern" turbo install I know of on an FJ engine.

Havoc

Quote from: fj1289 on June 04, 2013, 02:43:11 PM
Can't wait to see this one running in anger!

Me too man, I've got to stop faffing about with silly little things and finish it. Oil outlet looks better..

Got braided line in the post but I'd run out of AN-8 stuff. The return is going here, looks a little messy from here but there's enough width to make it OK, didn't want to weld a tube in, loads of people do that.

I even bought oil, plugs and filter for the old girl this week.........

fintip

What oil, filter, and plugs did you get, out of curiousity?
fjowners.wikidot.com

Not everyone understands what a completely rational process this maintenance of a motorcycle is. They think it's some kind of a knack or some kind of affinity for machines in operation. They are right, but the knack is almost purely a process of reason.
-ZAMM

IBA:54952

Havoc

This motor will require a plug 1 grade cooler than stock but I'll just be using normal Plutoline 10/40 dx in it just changing rather more often than stock. Stock Oil filter.

Havoc

Need an oil catch tank, some lovely ones in the TNK catalogue. Yoshiesque part if the sprocket cover. Going to make one. More precisely going to cut out the bits and ask Dave to stick them together.. Cheerios model..

Next weekend it will be a groovy welded ally tank, night chaps  :good2: