News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

FJ1500 Turbo EFI Katanaha Project, with a whiff of Nitrous...

Started by Havoc, October 25, 2012, 10:29:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fj11.5

awesome build, , would allow you to do the same to my Fj engine , if you pay for it  :lol:,, so how did you manage to damage your foot, , slip off the peg and drag, , have an off , , however it happend glad it wasn't worse  :hi:
unless you ride bikes, I mean really ride bikes, then you just won't get it

84 Fj1100  effie , with mods
( 88 ) Fj 1200  fairly standard , + blue spots
84 Fj1100 absolutely stock standard, now more stock , fitted with Fj12 twin system , no rusted headers for this felicity jayne

Havoc

Quote from: fj11.5 on October 25, 2012, 08:45:56 PM
awesome build, , would allow you to do the same to my Fj engine , if you pay for it  :lol:,, so how did you manage to damage your foot, , slip off the peg and drag, , have an off , , however it happend glad it wasn't worse  :hi:

The accident is shown in post 1, flipped the old race bike off the line and it came down on my foot, peg went through my MX boots. Fine now.
Dangerous Brothers Racing

fj11.5

Hell , flipping the bike I can understand, but what are the odds of a peg being  impaled  on your foot, hope you bought a lottery ticket

84 Fj1100 absolutely stock standard, now more stock , fitted with Fj12 twin system , no rusted headers for this felicity jayne

RichBaker

Might want to ask John Hopkins about that, he had a peg go where the sun don't shine in one of his many crashes.... Damn, that's got to hurt.
Rich Baker - NRA Life, AZCDL, Trail Riders of S. AZ. , AMA Life, BRC, HEAT Dirt Riders, SAMA....
Tennessee Squire
90 FJ1200, 03 WR450F ;8^P

fj11.5

Faaaark   :shok: , who did he piss off to deserve that, , think is rather have a toe mangled  :scratch_one-s_head:

dixiethedog

:biggrin:Ive just posted a pic of your bike in the general discussion section (warning fj12 chop...).
I didnt realise you were a poster on here!
Its great to see what youve done with your bike,i love it.
Im tempted to put a spare fj engine into one of my spare unengined GSX11EFE's (gs1150e). Then to cause head scratching as to what's he doing now,fit a spare 1127cc gsxr engine into an FJ12. People who say fit the gsxr engine into the EFE would probably reading from the easy page. I like a challenge.
I cant wait to see your bike finished. Keep up the good work.
Brett. :biggrin:

JMR

I saw thw lock up plate in one of the pics along with the spring conversion plate. I ran into problems with that setup ( MRE lock up) as the arms really dug into the aluminum conversion plate. That was with no weight attached to the arms. MTC pressure plates run steel contact buttons in the pressure plate....unfortunately they do not make a kit for the FJ.
Are you using shim under bucket in the engine? I have run into some problems with that set up too.

Havoc

Quote from: JMR on October 28, 2012, 08:16:41 AM
I saw thw lock up plate in one of the pics along with the spring conversion plate. I ran into problems with that setup ( MRE lock up) as the arms really dug into the aluminum conversion plate. That was with no weight attached to the arms. MTC pressure plates run steel contact buttons in the pressure plate....unfortunately they do not make a kit for the FJ.

Cheers for your input man. This is something that I've talked alot about. The rear of the Barnett plate is quite complex and would make machining some buttons into it quite involved.

Barnett have stated that the hardness of the ally and the anodizing should make this one harder to damage but I agree with you, this is one of their old ones.

It will ware, fingers crossed not too fast, if it destroys it's self too quickly I'll get some steel buttons heat shrunk into the replacement  :good2:

Quote from: JMR on October 28, 2012, 08:16:41 AM
Are you using shim under bucket in the engine? I have run into some problems with that set up too.

This is Shim 'over' bucket, it's the old 1100 Head

Havoc

Quote from: dixiethedog on October 28, 2012, 05:50:13 AM
Im tempted to put a spare fj engine into one of my spare unengined GSX11EFE's (gs1150e).
Brett.

Do it Brett, good to see you over here :drinks:

dixiethedog

Im very tempted. :good2: I dont know if you spotted the fj12 chop thing i posted in general discussion,but i provided my pal Robbie with a garrett turbo for that chop thing. Its going to be crazy. :biggrin:
Without taking over with too much of my ramblings,do you think the fj motor would go fairly easily into a box sectioned frame (gsx)?? I can see youve had to modify the frame rails on yours?? Its something i need to look at.
Ive 2 FJ12's,I need to go play with one..... :biggrin: Hmm....what would you think of a supercharger (pulley wheel)running from the clutch?? Do you think it would be do-able??? Ive a spare supercharger set up.... :biggrin:

JMR

There you go.....some big wear in a relatively short amount of time.
I see your point about installing inserts in the Barnett plate. The APE conversion plate is pretty simple and has a flat face....much easier to put inserts in.
I converted to shim under bucket when I installed cams in the .400 lift range. Obviously you will be using a different profile for the turbo but the sharp lobe nose of turbo grinds work well with a lighter valvetrain.  Problem is the Kibblewhite Ti FJ shim under retainers "egg" out especially if you run a good amount of spring (which you need with the larger cams). This is also a problem on busa's using the Ti retainers both from Kibblewhite and APE. Somebody finally came out a bucket for the busa that holds the shim which eliminates the wear problem.
I am going to have to replace the retainers at some point. The new Kibblewhite retainers use a 9mm shim (even lighter) and I will have them either Ti nitrided or DLC treatment

Havoc

Quote from: JMR on October 28, 2012, 11:54:28 AM
I see your point about installing inserts in the Barnett plate.

I think, on the back of this I'll revisit this, one of those things during the project that just fizzled out, wasn't going to be impossible, just difficult. I have been thinking through using some small suzuki valve shims in a drilled indent. A little worried about what would happen if one came loose.

Quote from: JMR on October 28, 2012, 11:54:28 AMI converted to shim under bucket when I installed cams in the .400 lift range.

Apart from the +2mm valves, HD springs and retainers from OrientExpress (always assumed Kibblewhite, but packaged in Orient bubble packs thinking about it), and the flow job, the head is stock cam-wise. My turbo man suggested that I didn't want cams that were too aggresive. If anything I was thinking about using a milder cam from a 1200 for it's initial road trim.

I am getting the feeling that I should have come here alot earlier, the FJ Owners forum in the UK is a closed club I think, I was a member briefly when I was given a years free membership for an article I wrote for their Mag. There is alot of open access info but not a forum that I can ask questions on, especially regarding one off builds. I got most of my info from Bob Sharma's site and he build draw through systems.

JMR

Quote from: Havoc on October 28, 2012, 02:16:05 PM
Quote from: JMR on October 28, 2012, 11:54:28 AM
I see your point about installing inserts in the Barnett plate.

I think, on the back of this I'll revisit this, one of those things during the project that just fizzled out, wasn't going to be impossible, just difficult. I have been thinking through using some small suzuki valve shims in a drilled indent. A little worried about what would happen if one came loose.

Quote from: JMR on October 28, 2012, 11:54:28 AMI converted to shim under bucket when I installed cams in the .400 lift range.

Apart from the +2mm valves, HD springs and retainers from OrientExpress (always assumed Kibblewhite, but packaged in Orient bubble packs thinking about it), and the flow job, the head is stock cam-wise. My turbo man suggested that I didn't want cams that were too aggresive. If anything I was thinking about using a milder cam from a 1200 for it's initial road trim.

I am getting the feeling that I should have come here alot earlier, the FJ Owners forum in the UK is a closed club I think, I was a member briefly when I was given a years free membership for an article I wrote for their Mag. There is alot of open access info but not a forum that I can ask questions on, especially regarding one off builds. I got most of my info from Bob Sharma's site and he build draw through systems.
I agree though a set of the old Yoshimura Stage 1 cams would probably work well. That is the hot set up in big turbo busa's :good2:

Havoc

Quote from: JMR on October 28, 2012, 02:26:11 PM

I agree though a set of the old Yoshimura Stage 1 cams would probably work well. That is the hot set up in big turbo busa's :good2:

Love the idea of having a bit of Yoshi in the heart of it. Spent up for this stage though, it's going together as is. Just spent $2500US on the ECU and associated gubbins, that's all the brownie points with the missus used up for a while, and she think's it was $250  :diablo: . Mild tune with this little T3. Going ApeShit next build, got a little BB turbo, intercooler set up in mind.

Pat Conlon

Quote from: Havoc on October 28, 2012, 02:16:05 PM
.........If anything I was thinking about using a milder cam from a 1200 for it's initial road trim.....
I have heard in the past that the early FJ1100 cams were more aggressive than the later FJ cams, however, when Randy was doing my '84's rebuild, we looked at the 1100 vs. 1200 cams side by side, and taking measurements shows that they are the same.
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3