News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Bike won't start unless I bypass the solonoid.

Started by Hi Test, October 30, 2012, 10:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi Test

I am new to this forum and just joined as a new member. I just bought a 86 FJ 1200 that hadn't been run for 6 years. I cleaned the carbs, cleaned the tank and tried to start it. The only way I could engage the starter was to ground out the solenoid coil wire. The ignition is active with the key on and the engine runs great, but will not start unless you ground the solenoid coil wire. On another note, the fuel gauge does not work either. I checked the fuel level sending unit and the resistance changes from 20 ohms to about 118 ohms indicating that the sending unit is OK.
Thanks in advance!
Hi Test

Dan Filetti

You're not in Seattle, are you...

Kidding, bit of an inside joke. Welcome here. Check the obvious stuff: side stand switch, starter switch, neutral safety switch, make certain the battery is well grounded...

It will likely be one of these.

Good luck,

Dan
Live hardy, or go home. 

fintip

:rofl:

But seriously, check out the last 3 or 4 pages of "prospect purchase."
fjowners.wikidot.com

Not everyone understands what a completely rational process this maintenance of a motorcycle is. They think it's some kind of a knack or some kind of affinity for machines in operation. They are right, but the knack is almost purely a process of reason.
-ZAMM

IBA:54952

Hi Test

Thanks, I think I found the problem, I traced it to the 41R-71 relay. It appears that the mice droppings caused the relay to fail.
Regards!

FJmonkey

Welcome Hi Test, glad you found your problem. With mice it is usually not the droppings that cause the problem. How about an introduction so we know something about our new member.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Mark Olson

take the relay out and smack it on the ground , sometimes this makes it work cause it just got stuck.
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"