News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

2nd gear issue

Started by Goetz, November 08, 2012, 05:48:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goetz

So, I have it, the dreaded 2nd gear pop n go @ 6.5k rpm. Im thinking i should have the transmission undercut yes? Buy a used one off ebay and send it off, then install it? Never had a crankcase apart before.

FJmonkey

Check with Randy at RPM first. He knows the FJ really well.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Mark Olson

Quote from: Goetz on November 08, 2012, 05:48:33 AM
So, I have it, the dreaded 2nd gear pop n go @ 6.5k rpm. Im thinking i should have the transmission undercut yes? Buy a used one off ebay and send it off, then install it? Never had a crankcase apart before.

sounds like time to pop your cherry and get in there and do it.

use the search function I believe  there is a write up with pictures somewhere on this site.

Check with rpm Randy for parts and hints.  new shift forks as well.

I gotta do mine this winter as I have been putting it off cause it only pops during really aggressive riding  :blush:
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

Goetz

Yeah, same here, only when i really get on it in 2nd, its totally rideable as is. I have read the trans file in the files section. Looks doable.

racerrad8

I have it all in stock, undercut trans, shift forks, all of the gaskets & o-rings and other parts requierd to change out the transmission.

Undercut Transmission

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

racerman_27410

its really not that bad a job  to do... the absolute hardest part is getting the engine back in the frame.

winding her up in second is something that every FJ owner should have the ability to do.... its so much fun!

Kookaloo!