Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

'92 140,000Km rebuild.

Started by tmkaos, November 12, 2012, 02:25:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmkaos

Here we are...

Shiny bits!

So now it's off to my friendly local engine guy to throw all RPM's new gear into it.
'92 FJ1200 - '07 to present
'83 VF750S Sabre - '04 - '07
'87 VT250FG - '94 - '98

fj11.5

Very nice,, but where's the pics of the hk ute,  I had one for my first car,  second one copped a 4.2 v8 and monaro parts  :good2:,, oh,  if you see a lanky american wandering around aukland with a group of churchies,  its my landlord  :biggrin:
unless you ride bikes, I mean really ride bikes, then you just won't get it

84 Fj1100  effie , with mods
( 88 ) Fj 1200  fairly standard , + blue spots
84 Fj1100 absolutely stock standard, now more stock , fitted with Fj12 twin system , no rusted headers for this felicity jayne

tmkaos

Hi guys,

Okay so to cut a long story short I'm back to assembling the motor myself, after a 3 month hiatus.. (life gets complicated sometimes doesnt it?) Anyway, got in the garage this morning and went to get stuck into it. Tried to push on my new valve stem seals and ended up with this.

So i said some nice words, and worked out you obviously need a special tool. What I did was, lubed up the valve guide with engine oil, and held the valve stem seal in the end of a socket, seating on the metal outer sheath. like this.

I tapped it on gently and the damn thing still split.

Is there a procedure to do these properly at home with the contents of an average toolbox or do I need to buy the sleeves and drivers to put them in? I've had a look through the site but haven't found anything on procedures, just a lot of guys saying they had done it.

I've ordered 4 more from randy so they'l be here in a few weeks and I can carry on with the head. In the mean time I did all the easy stuff on the block, sump back on, clutch cover, all the little bits and pieces.

'87 VT250FG - '94 - '98

racerrad8

No special tools required per say. I use a 3/8" inch 1/4" drive socket, 9mm is too small and 10mm is a little too big.

The 9mm will damage the spring during the install and the 10mm can slide off of the shoulder and damage the spring/seal.

I use a 1/4" drive handle like the one in the link.

I do not use oil, I use a touch of synthetic grease. I put a light coat on the tip of the guide and the rubber interior portion of the seal.

Never use a hammer to install, you only need to push the straight down and onto the guide and when you do it properly you can feel the slight "click" of the rubber latching onto the guide.

If you have any further question let me know via email. I will get the replacements headed out to you tomorrow.

If you tried installing with pliers, the housing will distort and the 8mm socket in the phot0 is much too small.

Randy - RPM

Randy - RPM

tmkaos

Quote from: racerrad8 on June 21, 2013, 08:21:02 PM
No special tools required per say. I use a 3/8" inch 1/4" drive socket, 9mm is too small and 10mm is a little too big.

I do not use oil, I use a touch of synthetic grease. I put a light coat on the tip of the guide and the rubber interior portion of the seal.

Never use a hammer to install, you only need to push the straight down and onto the guide and when you do it properly you can feel the slight "click" of the rubber latching onto the guide.

If you have any further question let me know via email. I will get the replacements headed out to you tomorrow.

If you tried installing with pliers, the housing will distort and the 8mm socket in the phot0 is much too small.

Randy - RPM

Thanks Randy, I tried a light push but no joy so I tapped it down with the palm of my hand on the end of the 1/4 extension off the back of the socket - but as you said, it needs to be 3/8, which I'll have to get. No hammer involved or pliers involved to install, I used them to get it off again once I realised I'd screwed it up...  :good2: I will flick you an email though as I have a question on the rings.

Cheers,

James
'87 VT250FG - '94 - '98

RichBaker

Are you using something to protect the seals from the keeper groove? Last time I did valve seals, they came with a plastic device that slid over the valve stem and covered the groove...
Rich Baker - NRA Life, AZCDL, Trail Riders of S. AZ. , AMA Life, BRC, HEAT Dirt Riders, SAMA....
Tennessee Squire
90 FJ1200, 03 WR450F ;8^P

tmkaos

Quote from: RichBaker on June 28, 2013, 12:20:09 AM
Are you using something to protect the seals from the keeper groove? Last time I did valve seals, they came with a plastic device that slid over the valve stem and covered the groove...

Hey Rich,
I fitted the seals with the valves out so no issues with that.

Just not quite enough care in fitting them, but they're all in now, valves, new RPM valve springs all in too.. thanks to Randy for expediting those replacement seals across to me, but maybe he needs his glasses prescription checking, I needed 2 seals, asked for 4 and 6 turned up.  :good2: Cheers mate!!

Fitted the new rings too, next step is to drop the barrels on over the top, any tips for that? I was planning on rotating the crank so all 4 pistons are equal height off the deck, so all the rings engage at the same time or are I better off leaving 2 down 2 up so as to stagger it?

Cheers,

James
'87 VT250FG - '94 - '98

ribbert

Quote from: tmkaos on July 08, 2013, 02:59:14 AM
Fitted the new rings too, next step is to drop the barrels on over the top, any tips for that? I was planning on rotating the crank so all 4 pistons are equal height off the deck, so all the rings engage at the same time or are I better off leaving 2 down 2 up so as to stagger it?

Cheers,

James

Two at a time will keep you busy enough.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

tmkaos

Hi everyone,

So I got busy today as I home alone, and got the barrels on. Got some good tips on how to go about it by myself, mainly just to tilt the pistons as they engage the taper with the open ends of the ring captured first. As you then squeeze the rest of the ring into the taper the ends don't want to pop out.. Worked well..

I got the barrels on, had a minor panic when I thought for a second I'd forgotten to fit the dowels into the block first, but I was able to lift it back up a couple of mm and check. Big phew..  :i_am_so_happy:

Head went on too, and I dropped the buckets on the valves.

Got to read up the manual about what to do about shimming the valves now - I wrote down all my sizes before pulling everything down but as I re-lapped the valves that will change so I cant use those original measurements to just work out the new shim size. I think I might just put in what was there before as a baseline, and recheck and re-shim once I have the cams timed up.

progress!!!

I love it...!!!  :yahoo:

James
'87 VT250FG - '94 - '98

baldy3853

Hey James while you have the motor out put a couple of grease nipples in the front engine mounts, will make servicing of the engine mounts easier.  :good2: :biggrin:
Baldy

ribbert

James, congrats on the assembly, nice to see it going back together.
I have been waiting, waiting...... for someone to ask, what's with the zebra stripes?

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

FJmonkey

Quote from: ribbert on August 04, 2013, 08:27:12 PM
I have been waiting, waiting...... for someone to ask, what's with the zebra stripes?

Noel
The pattern seems be limited to sealing surfaces. Done with a sharpie pen or the like... Beyond that, I got nothing...
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

tmkaos

Quote from: ribbert on August 04, 2013, 08:27:12 PM

Noel
The marks are with a vivid, it was to show Stan the dodgy Russian painter where to mask  :good:

So we had a slow work day today, and this happened...

Fork brace, 1st operation

Second Op

And so on

Next side..

Machinig outside
http://youtu.be/aV0vqfa04kE

Machining holes
http://youtu.be/l28NZJHwM38

Machining pockets
http://youtu.be/rcvWaMatfPU

Fits great, looks good. I originally got the CAD files from our good Monkey, cheers mate  but in the end I designed my own, which looks pretty similar to one of his designs. I'm going to engrave my FJ1200 logo on it too.
BTW, I made 2...  :good2:

More pics and vids to come I documented the whole thing.. Youtube vids still uploading, ditto pics.. I'll add the others in the morn, still download/uploading the fitted pics..
James
'87 VT250FG - '94 - '98

X-Ray

Heh Heh, tried to see the vids and you are still uploading,  :drinks:     I'll go have a shower and come back for a look. Fork brace looks VERY nice.
'94 FJ1200 Wet Pale Brown
'93 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver
'84 FJ1100 Red/White

'91 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver ( Now Sold)
'92 FJ1200 Project/Resto Dark Violet/Silver (Now Sold)

For photos of my rear wheel swap, heres the link  https://www.flickr.com/gp/150032671@N02/62k3KZ

tmkaos

'87 VT250FG - '94 - '98