News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Brake banjo fitting size???

Started by 93fj1200, November 21, 2012, 07:57:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

93fj1200

Would anyone know what is the exact size, pitch, length of the banjo bolts used on the rear brakes of the FJ.  I have installed the GSX-R 5.5 inch rear rim and the Suzuki brake hose ends are thicker and their banjo bolts are a different pitch. My FJ banjo bolt that mounts on the rear master cylinder does not seem long enough.  I can bleed it and drive only a mile or two and it is loose. I looked up the size for the suzuki online and it says it is 10x1.00x24.  I am thinking that the 10 is the diameter of the bolt, 1.00 is the length and 24 is the pitch. I can´t find anything that says what the Yamaha uses.

tmkaos

Measuring my one right here in my hands and it's M10 x 1.25 pitch, from the shoulder of the bolt head to the end of the thread it's 18mm. Bolt head is 14mm AF.

Hope that helps.

James
'92 FJ1200 - '07 to present
'83 VF750S Sabre - '04 - '07
'87 VT250FG - '94 - '98

93fj1200

Quote from: tmkaos on November 21, 2012, 08:03:03 PM
Measuring my one right here in my hands and it's M10 x 1.25 pitch, from the shoulder of the bolt head to the end of the thread it's 18mm. Bolt head is 14mm AF.

Hope that helps.

James

Thanks for your excellent quick response.  Then I would need to find a M10 x 1.25 x 24??
Greg

tmkaos

Quote from: 93fj1200 on November 21, 2012, 08:26:26 PM

Thanks for your excellent quick response.  Then I would need to find a M10 x 1.25 x 24??
Greg

That sounds about right.

Just be careful of the length measurement. Some people will measure it as an overall, from top of the bolt head to the end, some people will measure it from the shoulder as shown in the picture. I would imagine you will need to have between 10mm to 15mm of thread sticking out the end of the banjo for it to grab properly in the  master cylinder.
Good luck.  :good2:
'92 FJ1200 - '07 to present
'83 VF750S Sabre - '04 - '07
'87 VT250FG - '94 - '98

aviationfred

I don't know what the actual thread pitch is on the FJ or the GSXR. I recently did the GSXR Wheel mod with the GSXR rear caliper. I do know that the FJ Banjo bolts are a course thread and the GSXR Banjo bolts are a fine thread. Maybe I got lucky, I went to a local non oem motorcycle shop and asked for a fine thread banjo bolt. They had one in stock. I took it home and installed it. Works great.

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

93fj1200

Quote from: aviationfred on November 21, 2012, 08:47:14 PM
I don't know what the actual thread pitch is on the FJ or the GSXR. I recently did the GSXR Wheel mod with the GSXR rear caliper. I do know that the FJ Banjo bolts are a course thread and the GSXR Banjo bolts are a fine thread. Maybe I got lucky, I went to a local non oem motorcycle shop and asked for a fine thread banjo bolt. They had one in stock. I took it home and installed it. Works great.

Fred

I tried that here in Panama and it is almost impossible to jury rig things here because nobody knows what they stock in their stores.  Most of the vendors here are Chinese or Panamenians without any interest in their jobs.  The typical response I got today is NO, we don´t have any and when they say NO, it means NOOOOOOOOO, go away and don´t bother me, even if you bought it there yesterday.  Definitely different cultures than we are used to.  We are problem solvers, here they are not.