News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

resurecting crashed 87 with only 865 miles

Started by giantkiller, January 06, 2013, 11:02:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giantkiller

Started gathering all the parts to reserect the crashed 87(865 miles on it before it was crashed). That came with the 86 that I got with 10,476miles for $600.

Ordered $675 worth of parts from Randy on the year end sale.

Bought a 93 GSXR 750 rear wheel assembly complete For $ 145.

Got the list together came to about $2800 with $300 for misc.:
2008 GSXR 1000 Inverted fork complete front end from clippons to wheel
Honda F4i rear shock
New chain n sprockets
Lithium battery
New tires
Manual petcock for tank
Barnett clutch spring kit for 86 (will double up the stock spring with the spring in the 87)

Things I will make or have made:
Extensions for GSXR forks(have a different idea for the extensions)
Mate the GSXR triples with the FJ stem
GSXR clippons with risers to match the FJ
Custom brake and clutch lines
Powder coating
Ceramic coating the head pipes  for both bikes

86 fj1350r
86 fj1380t turbo drag toy (soon)
87 fj1200 865 miles crashed for parts
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
87 fzr750r Human Race teams world endurance champion
93 fzr600 Vance n hines ltd for sale
Custom chopper I built
Mini chopper I built for my daughter just like the big 1

aviationfred

Please post before and after pics when you have the 87' resurrected.

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

giantkiller

The 87 was a parts bike. So all the bent stuff is long gone. Not much taken for parts. So it's pretty complete. It's going to be about the same as the 86. But I will take pictures
86 fj1350r
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
Custom chopper I built

Pat Conlon

Good for you. This will be a fun project to follow, take plenty of pictures for us.

A couple of Q's:
With your GSXR front end, what is your plan for driving the FJ's mechanical speedometer?
How will you access the manual petcock?

Cheers
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

giantkiller

Quote from: Pat Conlon on January 07, 2013, 11:59:41 AM
Good for you. This will be a fun project to follow, take plenty of pictures for us.

A couple of Q's:
With your GSXR front end, what is your plan for driving the FJ's mechanical speedometer?
How will you access the manual petcock?

Cheers
On the 86 I used the trail tech voyager. Mounted on stem nut. With ram mount. But I was paranoid someone would steal it. So I'm going to use trail tech vapor mounted in the gauge panel on both.
For the petcock I just removed the upper black screen in the side panel. Easy access.
86 fj1350r
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
Custom chopper I built

Pat Conlon

Good deal Dan. Tim (axiom-r) did a very nice R-1 front end conversion on his bitchen FJ. Take a look in the member gallery. I recall that he found some tube extenders that threaded in to the fork tubes allowing the shorter YZF tubes to work.

Also, Frank Moore (racerman) installed a neat digital dash display on his beauty, although I can't seem to find any pictures of his bike (Brutus) in the gallery.

Tim, Frank, you guys got your ears on?
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

rktmanfj

Quote from: Pat Conlon on January 07, 2013, 06:36:53 PM
Also, Frank Moore (racerman) installed a neat digital dash display on his beauty, although I can't seem to find any pictures of his bike (Brutus) in the gallery.

It's in this thread, Pat.

http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=50.0

Randy T
Indy

Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
Psalms 144:1

'89 FJ1200
'90 FJ1200
'78 XT500
'88 XT350

giantkiller

Quote from: Pat Conlon on January 07, 2013, 06:36:53 PM
Good deal Dan. Tim (axiom-r) did a very nice R-1 front end conversion on his bitchen FJ. Take a look in the member gallery. I recall that he found some tube extenders that threaded in to the fork tubes allowing the shorter YZF tubes to work.

Tim, Frank, you guys got your ears on?
axiom-r used the cycle one off extenders If I remeber right. They are sleaves that slide over the top of the fork with a set screw to hold them. Like the ones I had made for the 86. But mine are a little over kill. With a slot and 3 pinch bolts to clamp them on. I'm thinking of having top caps made with the tube extended over the adjusters. But I've never had the caps off the forks to know how complicated the cap is with out the adjusters on it.

That is what I'm going to do with the tral tech vapors. I just hate cutting up the guage cluster on the 86. Its in mint condition with only 10,486 miles on the odometer
86 fj1350r
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
Custom chopper I built

dixiethedog

Good sounding project. :good2:
I've machined up some fork extensions for a couple of USD front end conversions which worked great and didnt cost much cash to do. I'll try to find some pics in my highly disorganised photobucket account and post them up for you to see.  :good2:

dixiethedog

I managed to find a pic of not mine,but somebody else's fork extensions,which look pretty much the same as the ones ive made. I know some people might not think much of them and would rather spend hundreds on stepped tripple tree's,but if your on a budget,these work great.

dixiethedog

Ive found a pic of one of mine,probably still under construction at the time of the photo?

giantkiller

That's the same Idea I had in mind. Replace the top cap with one that screws into the tube and extends past the adjusters.
looks alot cleaner. How much for 2 sets for 2008 GSXR 1000 forks?

pm sent
86 fj1350r
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
Custom chopper I built

movenon

Quote from: giantkiller on January 09, 2013, 08:38:03 AM
That's the same Idea I had in mind. Replace the top cap with one that screws into the tube and extends past the adjusters.
looks alot cleaner. How much for 2 sets for 2008 GSXR 1000 forks?

pm sent

Me also  :good2:
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

dixiethedog

The ones ive made sit over the tops of the existing forks. They dont go anywhere and stay put once all the parts are bolted together. I was thinking about machining a tube with (example I think?)of an internal diameter of 50-55mm (what ever the forks are?),that slides over the forks when fitted,neatly between the tripple trees (yokes in the UK!!).lol. This way,colour matched to the forks,nobody would know the extensions were there. :good2: However,on an FJ,the fairing would hide things. :good2:

giantkiller

Well the state of Wisconsin just put a stop to my resurrecting the 87..  I had the Vin. checked by a sheriff friend. Before I started. And he said It didn't come back stolen or anything. said the last thing that showed up was when it was shipped to the dealership in brookfield. In late 87. So I started getting the parts. Got everything except the GSXR front wheel. I figured I had better get started with the paperwork. So I called DMV. Got transferred around and finally ended up with the
tittle research department. And she tells me even though t doesn't show that it was "junked" because it was once owned by a junk yard. It can't be retitled at all. Now I have to find a frame with a good title, hopefully cheap.
86 fj1350r
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
Custom chopper I built