News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Missing Parts

Started by GreMonte, February 05, 2013, 09:46:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreMonte

I'm very new to these bikes and had one fall in my lap recently.  I was told the chain broke.  The sprocket cover is missing but I have found a couple chunks of it.  I started the bike today for the first time.  I noticed the oil coming out.  I took some pictures and I hope you guys can tell me what is missing so I can pick one up.  These pictures are taken of the left side by the sprocket.
The bike is an 86 FJ1200

This is where the oil came from.  The round part facing you.  what goes here?

Here is another shot back a bit.  What else do you see that is missing?  I know the cover.  Anything else you can see would help as well.

SlowOldGuy

You appear to be missing the drive chain.  :-)

Also, your clutch actuation rod is gone.  That's the source of your oil leak.

DavidR.

GreMonte

The chain HAHA :drinks:

thanks for the tip on the clutch rod, I google away.

movenon

Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

GreMonte

Quote from: movenon on February 06, 2013, 12:22:15 AM
http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/model_years/5143-yamaha-1986-big-wheel-fj1200s/assemblies/156500-clutch ?

Thanks for the link, it backs up what I found when I looked.  It shows the rod as discontinued, does anyone have one laying around they don't need?

FJmonkey

Quote from: GreMonte on February 06, 2013, 12:02:59 PM
Thanks for the link, it backs up what I found when I looked.  It shows the rod as discontinued, does anyone have one laying around they don't need?
Check with Randy at RPM www.rpmracingca.com, he is our FJ parts Go-To guy.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

SlowOldGuy

Check the POs cat.

DavidR.

craigo

If Randy can't help you out, try these guys

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/1986/FJ1200S/CLUTCH/parts.html

Looks like boats.net has the part in stock. Just a scant $16.32

http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/yamaha/Y-36Y-16357-00-00.html

And if the rod is missing, you may want to go ahead and get the ball. Just in case it's part#26.

Hope this helps,

CraigO

CraigO
90FJ1200

Steve_in_Florida

Quote from: craigo on February 06, 2013, 05:28:12 PM

Maybe I should get several of them to keep in a quiver for the rally games. (Cat spearing at 50 yards.   Mee-YOWCH!!!)

BTW, this *MUST* be Kooky-Lou --->  :crazy:

`90 FJ-1200
`92 FJ-1200

IBA # 54823

GreMonte

Quote from: craigo on February 06, 2013, 05:28:12 PM
If Randy can't help you out, try these guys

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/1986/FJ1200S/CLUTCH/parts.html

http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/yamaha/Y-36Y-16357-00-00.html

And if the rod is missing, you may want to go ahead and get the ball. Just in case it's part#26.

Hope this helps,

Parts ordered Thanks for all the help.  I will be back if I need help again

CraigO

FJmonkey

The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

movenon

Follow the blood trail :)..
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

GreMonte

OK I've been digging and here's my new problem.

How do I get this out??? :flag_of_truce:

I ordered the new one and a new ball too.  Is there anything I need to know about the change out?  Like don't drop the ball or something?  But first..I need to get the half that's in there out!!

Harvy

First things first mate........get some degreaser and give that whole area a cleanup. Looks like you also have a broken bolt in the hole above the pushrod. The seal is almost certainly cactus too.

You are probably going to have to dismantle the clutch form the other side of the motor to get that sucker out of there...... good time to inspect the fibre plates and steels, and maybe install a new pressure spring.

Do you have a manual?
FJZ1 1200 - It'll do me just fine.
Timing has much to do with the success of a rain dance.

ribbert

If that's the clutch pushrod I can see the end of you can draw it out with a magnet, it offers no resistance. If it's burred over where it's broken, pop the seal out, it will be knackered anyway then you can grab hold of it.
There is nothing holding it in there.
Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"