News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

89 discs to 86 wheel

Started by sandspider, March 10, 2013, 01:14:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandspider

Hi All
I have been searching for an hour or so , there is a lot of material on here now !!!
My Question is  : will the 89 rotors bolt on too a 86 wheel ?

I have blue dot calipers and can get a 89 set of forks .  I bought a new tire late summer and want to use that up before I go to 17 " wheel ( other projects going on and budget!!)
In the mean time can I change the lowers to eliminate the antidive put on the 89 rotors to the 16" wheel  and use the blue dots and then get a 17" wheel later  ?  

I saw some pictures of a bike here with the stock wheels and rotors, with upgraded fork lowers and calipers, but the calipers left a ridge of no contact on the rotor from not the right diameter !

Thanks in advance
Bill
Bill E
86FJ
73TX 750
Toronto

Mark Olson

I don't remember , it is one of those why do that ?

just do the upgrade and eat the tire.
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

FJmonkey

Quote from: Mark Olson on March 10, 2013, 01:28:26 PM
I don't remember , it is one of those why do that ?

just do the upgrade and eat the tire.

When I did the upgrade it left me with an Avon front with about 2K left on it. I am glad I did not wait. Get the RPM valves, you will not be sorry....
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Pat Conlon

Bill, we just talked about this.
See the posts on the gsxr1100 rim. George gave us a link where can compare the rotor bolt patterns between different models.
I won't feed you a fish but George has taught us how to fish.... So to speak.

I agree with the others, sell the 16" bias donut and go directly to the 17" rim and modern radial rubber.
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

movenon

Same on the front tire here.. Just time for new shoes and decided to upgrade the rim to 3.5. Although my 3" rim has a fair looking 120/60/17 Dunlop on it..
But to answer your question here are the 86 FJ vs 89 FJ front rotor spec's.

1989 FJ Front rotors
Measurements (mm)
Outside Diameter
Inside Diameter
Bolt Hole Circumference
Bolt Hole Quantity
Bolt Hole Size
Thickness
Minimum Thickness
Offset
Type of Bolt Holes
STRAIGHT

1986 FJ 1100 front rotors
Measurements (mm)
Outside Diameter
Inside Diameter
Bolt Hole Circumference
Bolt Hole Quantity
Bolt Hole Size
Thickness
Minimum Thickness
Type of Bolt Holes
STRAIGHT

George
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

sandspider

Yes I should do that and then I would want matching rim for the rear (more money )
There is no end in site !!.

I have two other  projects on the go also so I was trying to save some money .

I am almost finished restoring a Yamaha TX750 1973

And in first stages of building a vintage style Drag bike based on a 650 Triumph but I'm going to do it Japanese  style based on a XS 650 , in the same  years as the Triumph !!
Basically to show my friend who is a British bike fan !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill
Bill E
86FJ
73TX 750
Toronto

sandspider

Quote from: movenon on March 10, 2013, 04:01:58 PM
Same on the front tire here.. Just time for new shoes and decided to upgrade the rim to 3.5. Although my 3" rim has a fair looking 120/60/17 Dunlop on it..

1989 FJ Front rotors
Measurements (mm)
Outside Diameter
Inside Diameter
Bolt Hole Circumference
Bolt Hole Quantity
Bolt Hole Size
Thickness
Minimum Thickness
Offset
Type of Bolt Holes
STRAIGHT

Measurements (mm)
Outside Diameter
Inside Diameter
Bolt Hole Circumference
Bolt Hole Quantity
Bolt Hole Size
Thickness
Minimum Thickness
Type of Bolt Holes
STRAIGHT

George

Quote from: movenon on March 10, 2013, 04:01:58 PM

1989 FJ Front rotors
Measurements (mm)
Outside Diameter
Inside Diameter
Bolt Hole Circumference
Bolt Hole Quantity
Bolt Hole Size
Thickness
Minimum Thickness
Offset
Type of Bolt Holes
STRAIGHT

Measurements (mm)
Outside Diameter
Inside Diameter
Bolt Hole Circumference
Bolt Hole Quantity
Bolt Hole Size
Thickness
Minimum Thickness
Type of Bolt Holes
STRAIGHT

George

Thanks for the info that helped me out  The tire has only 500 miles on it . but I will keep collecting parts for the conversion !!!
Still getting use to posting if things seem to be out of order !!!!!!!!!!
Bill E
86FJ
73TX 750
Toronto

aviationfred

My 89' came with a 16" front wheel that the PO had installed. I have no idea why. Installing the Blue Dot brake mod was the 1st mod I did. Due to my ignorance at the time, I read that the Blue Dots bolted right on to my forks. It never occured to me that the rotors on the first gen wheel were not the same diameter as what came on the 89' 17" wheels.

The 16" wheel will work with the Blue Dots and 89' forks. As stated in previous posts. Install a 17" wheel. I only had the 16" wheel in use for a month or so. If interested, I do have a 89' 17" wheel that is available.

Fred

I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

sandspider

Quote from: sandspider on March 10, 2013, 05:44:26 PM
Yes I should do that and then I would want matching rim for the rear (more money )
There is no end in sight !!.

I have two other  projects on the go also so I was trying to save some money .

I am almost finished restoring a Yamaha TX750 1973

And in first stages of building a vintage style Drag bike based on a 650 Triumph but I'm going to do it Japanese  style based on a XS 650 , in the same  years as the Triumph !!
Basically to show my friend who is a British bike fan !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill
Bill E
86FJ
73TX 750
Toronto

Bezmozek

Quote from: aviationfred on March 10, 2013, 06:20:44 PM
My 89' came with a 16" front wheel that the PO had installed. I have no idea why. Installing the Blue Dot brake mod was the 1st mod I did. Due to my ignorance at the time, I read that the Blue Dots bolted right on to my forks. It never occured to me that the rotors on the first gen wheel were not the same diameter as what came on the 89' 17" wheels.

The 16" wheel will work with the Blue Dots and 89' forks. As stated in previous posts. Install a 17" wheel. I only had the 16" wheel in use for a month or so. If interested, I do have a 89' 17" wheel that is available.

Fred
This is post I was searching for. :wacko3:
I have ´85 FJ1100 and as my rotors are quite worn, thinking about brake upgrade.
To keep my FJ street legal, I have to stay with 16" front wheel.
Do you know if fj1200 front wheel axle is same as on older 1100 and what master cylinder are you using or is possible to use (preferably non urine cup design)?

This seems to me, that to upgrade my bike, I just need ´89 FJ1200 forks, blue dot calippers and it is bolt on?
Thanks
Stepan
´85 FJ 1100

FJmonkey

Stepan, all years of FJ have the same axel diameters. But the '89+ front wheel is 17 inch. If you are limited to only 16 inch front wheel size then you could get adapter plates that allow the Blue/Gold dot calipers to bolt on. There are a few options for the master cylinder. I am using a 14MM MC from a Kawi Concours and it looks similar to the Yamaha unit. It also fits an adjustable lever if you want that option as well. I used my Yamaha master for a while so keeping the MC might be an option as well.

Bezmozek

Thx FJmonkey,
http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=9954.0
In this thread it seems, that axels are not interchangeable.

And yes, I´ll keep 16" front, I like that design anyway, I had same wheels in 18" on my previous bike XJ600(aka FJ600 in US).
Adapter plates won´t work for me, because it is more weight and have to buy blind plates to cut off anti dive units anyway.

I still have stock ´85 1100, only KVT-sport aftermarket foot pegs and lowered seat installed by PO, I added SS braided lines on the front and self made rear seat cover.
I bought it 12yrs ago and since then, beside I love this bike, somehow it turned from old crap to a nice youngtimer.

Upgrading to later FJ forks is IMHO better option for similar price.
Great is that I can keep original MC at least for now.
Just double checking that I can fit 16" wheel into ´89 forks, does not matter on which axle, before spending money on parts.
As FJ1100 have double vented rotors, it is hard to find replacement and for price of original ones I am planing this upgrade.
´85 FJ 1100

aviationfred

The 1989 rotors will not bolt to your OEM 16" front wheel. Here is a set of new aftermarket rotors that will fit your OEM 16" wheel. http://www.ebay.de/itm/Yamaha-Fj-1100-Front-Brake-Rotor-Disc-Pro-Factory-Braking-1983-1987-2-Rotors-/381690052269?hash=item58de7ffead:g:~RoAAOSwEjFXd~vs

For the Blue Dot calipers, here is a link for the adaptors that make everything bolt on. http://www.exactrep.com/acatalog/Front-Hanger-Brackets--pair--12B.html#SID=22 Yes, these are for a Vmax, but they will work on the FJ1100 forks.

Fred

I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

FJmonkey

You don't need blank/blocking plates for the AD units. You can remove the upper half and flip the lower half. Not as clean as the 89+ forks but less cost. Just so you know what your options are.

Flynt

Quote from: Bezmozek on May 22, 2017, 04:32:16 PM
This seems to me, that to upgrade my bike, I just need ´89 FJ1200 forks, blue dot calippers and it is bolt on?

On my '84 I have RPM suspension front and rear, Braking Rotors front and rear, and EBC HH pads front with organics rear.  I run the Avon tires and give them excellent reviews.  For me they're 1 finger brakes and modulate really well.  The rear is a little too strong, but useable...  probably about perfect if you want to back-in, cause it's sure easy when you don't want to.  Randy tells me I'll overheat this setup eventually, but it is very solid and well behaved IMHO.  It helps that I'm slow.

I'll likely go to 17" at some point to get the tire selection, but then you do need all the other stuff to be road worthy with that level of grip.  You don't need to jump to that immediately, you can stretch the 16's pretty far...  again IMHO.

Frank
There's plenty of time for sleep in the grave...