News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

FJ '85 frame Powder coating

Started by BrekD, March 12, 2013, 05:09:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrekD

Hi All:

As you know the frame rusts pretty easy on the FJ.  As a result I'm considering having it powder coated.

The only problem is that also means I have to pretty much take the entire bike apart.

Anyone have any idea how long this may take for a fairly experienced guy?  Any gotchas to look out for?

Any help is appreciated.

Brek

Steve_in_Florida

Brek,
I can strip my FJ's down to the frame in a couple of hours, if necessary. It's very modular, and straightforward.

Keep your parts organized (of course) and away from furry friends. (Plastic sandwich bags, boxes, and labels are good for you!)

Take pictures along the way if you're unsure of your re-assembly skills.

If you put the bike up on the center stand, then prop up the engine, you can remove the front wheel, forks, and triple-tree. Then you can LIFT the front end (Cherry picker, block-n-tackle, brute force), remove the milk crate, and gently lower the assembly to the (tarp & blanket-covered) ground. Remove the rear wheel, rear sub-frame, and swingarm. Gently rock the frame forward, relax the center-stand, and remove. Now you can unbolt the engine and lift the frame from around it.

Look carefully at everything else that you might want to have powder-coated, also. Sometimes the coaters will give you a break when you bring in a mess O' parts that are to be done in the same color.

I had most everything done on my 1990 FJ at once (both front and rear sub-frames, rims, frame, and a bunch of little pieces-parts.

Reassembly is the reverse of the dis-assembly (of course).

Bolt sub-frame rails to engine. Position main frame over engine assembly. Roll assembly forward and attach center-stand. Roll assembly back, onto extended center-stand. Attach swingarm and rear wheel. Attach rear sub-frame. Lift front of bike, and support engine on milk crate. Attach triple-tree, forks, front wheel, and front sub-frame. Hook up electrics and hydraulics as required. Attach plastics and peripherals (fuel tank, seat, etc.).

Bearings, seals, and anything greasy will have to be removed. I don't know if this includes your headset bearing races or not. (Mine were already removed in anticipation of replacing them.)

Did I forget anything, guys?

Enjoy it. `s fun!  :good2:

Believe me, you'll get to know your FJ pretty well before you're done!

This is how mine came back from the powder coaters:

http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=4771.0

Good luck with your project.   (popcorn)

Steve

`90 FJ-1200
`92 FJ-1200

IBA # 54823

skymasteres

Quote from: BrekD on March 12, 2013, 05:09:07 PM
Hi All:

As you know the frame rusts pretty easy on the FJ.  As a result I'm considering having it powder coated.

The only problem is that also means I have to pretty much take the entire bike apart.

Anyone have any idea how long this may take for a fairly experienced guy?  Any gotchas to look out for?

Any help is appreciated.

Brek

It took me about two evenings to do it. After I got the engine out the rest of it kind of fell apart...
You can check out my thread for all of the pics of it's various stages of dis-assembly.
http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=7691.0

(Of course you can also look at the thread and avoid going down the road I did. "Well, since I have it this far apart, I might as well...")  :dash1:

BrekD

Quote from: Steve_in_Florida on March 12, 2013, 06:55:13 PM
Brek,
I can strip my FJ's down to the frame in a couple of hours, if necessary. It's very modular, and straightforward.

Keep your parts organized (of course) and away from furry friends. (Plastic sandwich bags, boxes, and labels are good for you!)

Take pictures along the way if you're unsure of your re-assembly skills.

If you put the bike up on the center stand, then prop up the engine, you can remove the front wheel, forks, and triple-tree. Then you can LIFT the front end (Cherry picker, block-n-tackle, brute force), remove the milk crate, and gently lower the assembly to the (tarp & blanket-covered) ground. Remove the rear wheel, rear sub-frame, and swingarm. Gently rock the frame forward, relax the center-stand, and remove. Now you can unbolt the engine and lift the frame from around it.

Look carefully at everything else that you might want to have powder-coated, also. Sometimes the coaters will give you a break when you bring in a mess O' parts that are to be done in the same color.

I had most everything done on my 1990 FJ at once (both front and rear sub-frames, rims, frame, and a bunch of little pieces-parts.

Reassembly is the reverse of the dis-assembly (of course).

Bolt sub-frame rails to engine. Position main frame over engine assembly. Roll assembly forward and attach center-stand. Roll assembly back, onto extended center-stand. Attach swingarm and rear wheel. Attach rear sub-frame. Lift front of bike, and support engine on milk crate. Attach triple-tree, forks, front wheel, and front sub-frame. Hook up electrics and hydraulics as required. Attach plastics and peripherals (fuel tank, seat, etc.).

Bearings, seals, and anything greasy will have to be removed. I don't know if this includes your headset bearing races or not. (Mine were already removed in anticipation of replacing them.)

Did I forget anything, guys?

Enjoy it. `s fun!  :good2:

Believe me, you'll get to know your FJ pretty well before you're done!

This is how mine came back from the powder coaters:

http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=4771.0

Good luck with your project.   (popcorn)

Steve

Hi Steve:

This looks great and the information is really helpful, the rusty frame really bugs me.  I'm not sure wht color to go with - either original silver or black like yours.  My FJ is white / Red.

I'm in College Park (off princeton and edgewater) are you still in Orlando?

Thanks again,

Brek

Steve_in_Florida

Quote from: BrekD on March 13, 2013, 09:21:32 AM

I'm in College Park (off princeton and edgewater) are you still in Orlando?

I sent you a PM.

Yes, still in Orlando.

I used Central Florida Powdercoat right near North Orange Blossom Trail and Princeton. Talk to Jeremy.

Steve
`90 FJ-1200
`92 FJ-1200

IBA # 54823

jscgdunn

Hi Steve,
Just curious....what does it cost to PC a frame in Florida?

Thanks,

Jeff
92 FJ1200 2008 ZX14 Forks, wheels, 2008 cbr 600 RR swingarm
92 FJ1200 2009 R1 Swinger, Forks, Wheels, 2013 CBR 1000 Shock
90 FJ 1200 (Son # 2), Stock
89 FJ 1200 Built from parts: (Brother bought it) mostly 92 parts inc. motor
84 FJ 1100 (Son #1), 89 forks wheels, blue spots