News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Low Coil voltage? Ideas

Started by ccsct203, September 14, 2009, 07:32:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ccsct203

I'm looking at my FJ repair manual here and wondering if the +12v side of the coils and really seeing +12v
After reading about the headlight problem and the posibility of a 2 volt drop by the time voltage reaches the bulb, could the coils suffer the same low voltage issue which in turn would reduce the output of the coils.
the book says the +12v red/white wire comes through the stop switch directly.
If I find the voltage lower then the battery voltage would it make sence to install a relay and wire the + side of the coils and only use the stop switch to operate the relay?
Ideas?
I'll check the voltage this week
If it's not broken, fix it anyways

ccsct203

Bingo
"That's what I'm talking 'bout"

the fan

SlowOldGuy

Jon Cain is a big proponent of running the coils off of a relay.  When you say "stop switch" do you mean the ignition switch?  Typically there is a voltage loss through the ignition switch.

Basically, it couldn't hurt to hook up a relay to drive the coils.  Much cheaper than new coils.

DavidR.

threejagsteve

Quote from: the fan on September 14, 2009, 07:51:08 PM
I really doubt you are seeing a full 12v at the coils.

Here is some light reading...
http://www.oldskoolyzf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=458

http://www.oldskoolyzf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=562&hilit=relay

http://www.oldskoolyzf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=716&hilit=relay

Great link, the fan!

I've copied the instrux text into an .rtf, and saved the diagram. Seems to me this how-to oughtta go in the Files section as a more-permanent reference.
"If you wanna bark with the big dogs, you can't pee with the puppies!"

ccsct203

Talk'n about the ignition switch and the switch on the right handle above the starter switch.
I measured my voltage with the key on and found 10.8 volts. :dash2:
Why did it take me this long to think of this easy fix???

the fan

I could easily write something up and add it into the files. I would like to get my hands on an FJ first and make all the measurements and take a few pics. I imagine it has never happened here in part due to the existence of aftermarket ignition set-ups. These are not available over in the YZF world.

threejagsteve

I have the suspicion that there'd be a few others who'd be interested in improving their ignition without having to spend big bucks for one of the aftermarket setups.

I'm planning to do the mod myself... I could certainly take the pics and measurements and do any additional writeup needed. I don't have the full Acrobat, though, so somebody will need to make it into a nice, neat pdf.

But my new brakes should be here tomorrow and I've got to get that sorted first and my rebuilt front end dialed in, so it'll likely be a couple of weeks, maybe a month, before I'm ready for the next round of upgrades (though I'm already making plans... :P).

"If you wanna bark with the big dogs, you can't pee with the puppies!"

ccsct203

I made my relay and harness tonight.
Used a 30 amp 12v relay and 12 gauge wire
soldered all the connections even the ones going to the relay and then heat shrinked tubing
mounting it to the left side of the battery box
that should fix my 2 volt loss
I'll report back :morning1:

MyFirstNameIsPaul

When I installed my Dynatek ignition system I checked the resistance of the kill switch. It was 15 ohms.  I've installed an accessory bus, so I ran a line from that, which was .5 ohm.  I can't say if it made a difference because I did too many things at one time.

ccsct203

Finished the mod yesterday
Took 1 1/2 hours (i'm real picky)
a full 12.4 volts at coils... and yes I feel a slight difference in performance