News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Crankshaft Oil Seal Replacement

Started by eclipse3g, March 27, 2013, 11:07:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eclipse3g

On an FJ1100

The oil seal on the left end of the crankshaft (behind the pickup unit) is leaking and am wondering if I need to split the cases to replace the crankcase oil seal. It used to be an occasional drip but now every time I ride it my left boot ends up splattered with oil.

FJmonkey

I don't think you need to open the cases, the factory ones had a shoulder on it, your gonna have to fight it out. Then you drive in a new one.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Arnie

I don't doubt that this seal may be leaking after all these years, but what I don't understand is how that leaked oil is getting out and splatterilng on your boot.
Are you sure that its not an oil leak from somewhere else hitting your boot?
Or even brake/clutch fluid from a leaky clutch slave?

Arnie

eclipse3g

Quote from: Arnie on March 27, 2013, 07:41:08 PM
I don't doubt that this seal may be leaking after all these years, but what I don't understand is how that leaked oil is getting out and splatterilng on your boot.
Are you sure that its not an oil leak from somewhere else hitting your boot?
Or even brake/clutch fluid from a leaky clutch slave?

Arnie

The oil runs down behind the ignition pickups then out the vent hole at the bottom where the cover attaches then is blown off the bottom of the cover area onto the left boot.

movenon

Over the years I have bought a number of specialized tools and most don't ever get used after the one project I was involved with but a seal puller like this one from Harbor Freight I use quite often. The one I have is a Snap On tool but this one works the same and a hell of a lot cheaper at 14.99. Less with a 20% off coupon. The tip is flat so it slides into the seal and you can use a hammer to tap on the outside leg to pop a seal out. I have used it for wheel seals, rear main seals etc..
It might be handy for your seal removal ? I have never pulled the seal you are looking at but I might guess its reassessed a bit and harder to get into.

http://www.harborfreight.com/seal-puller-91352.html

George
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

ribbert

Quote from: movenon on March 27, 2013, 09:35:11 PM
Over the years I have bought a number of specialized tools and most don't ever get used after the one project I was involved with but a seal puller like this one from Harbor Freight I use quite often. The one I have is a Snap On tool but this one works the same and a hell of a lot cheaper at 14.99. Less with a 20% off coupon. The tip is flat so it slides into the seal and you can use a hammer to tap on the outside leg to pop a seal out. I have used it for wheel seals, rear main seals etc..
It might be handy for your seal removal ? I have never pulled the seal you are looking at but I might guess its reassessed a bit and harder to get into.

http://www.harborfreight.com/seal-puller-91352.html

George

Seal removal doesn't require any finesse as you are replacing it with a new one. You will rarely see a mechanic using a purpose made tool, other than the one he made on the bench grinder.
As long as you don't damage where it sits, anything goes.
My tool of choice is a steel shaft blade screwdriver with a sharpened end, knock it into the seal with a hammer then flick it out or use it to partially collapse the seal in on itself so it comes out easily.
Seals rarely put up much resistance.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

movenon

I also use a screw driver to pop out seals when they are easy to get leverage on. I have used this tool for recessed seals that are difficult to reach into and also at times on rear main auto seals that someone glued in with sealer (seems to happen a lot).
I have had a bunch of expensive special tools that were only used once like a GM A/C compressor front pulley puller with interior threads. I think manufactures do some of this stuff on purpose just so sell over priced tools... Just an opinion :yes:.

I am with you on making my own tools. Poverty and lack of time is a great teacher. Also spent some time in parts of the world where you had to make or adapt parts or go without. I made all my FJ tools so far except for the valve adjusting tool, oh and I did buy a cheap wheel balancer and that I could have made. Next winter I am going to pull the head off the FJ and will probably buy a valve spring compressor to remove and install those recessed stem keepers. I made one one of those for a VW diesel once and it was a time consuming pain. This time I will just take the easy way out.
George
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200