News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Not sure what happened, anyone got any idea?!

Started by nurse, April 02, 2013, 04:28:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nurse

Went out today in some beautiful sunny weather.  Had been out on open roads for about an hour, came into the city and had to sit behind a number of buses and crawl through heavy stop start traffic for between 2-3 miles. As I went to pull away the bike stalled and wouldn't re-start.  I paddled to the roadside and tried to re-start it but it was as if the battery had died,hardly any power at all.  Weird I thought as having been out for an hour should have charged it nicely.  Alternator! I thought.  After 5-10 minutes of tinkering I gave up and called the Recovery company.  Not being one to admit defeat I couldn't help but carry on having a go.  Then as if nothing had happened I hit the starter and it turned over and fired up like it always has done previously. I cancelled the recovery and continued to my destination, when there I had to anxiously key off. But it started up first time no problem.  I stopped for fuel and agin it restarted no problem.

I can't work out why it played up!  Overheating, overfueling, any ideas?
A life has been well lived, if you have planted trees under who's shade you do not expect to sit.

I'm told I'm cynical, pessimistic and generally miserable. I say that I'm realistic! The fact that reality sucks is not my fault!

movenon

Plenty of idea's ! But look at the simple stuff first. Side stand switch, shorting kill switch? Has it been wet?  Of course put a volt meter on it to check the alternator output and battery. Speaking of the battery, clean up the terminals (including the ground lug onto the engine) and connectors. Even if it "looks" clean still unhook and clean the terminals. At least for a start. let us know how you come out.
George
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

ribbert

Nurse, if the stall was just that, a stall and unrelated to any problem, it is not unusual when the starter gets tired for it not to work when hot for a few minutes after stopping the motor. I lived with that for a couple of years until I fixed the starter.
It wasn't that big a deal because mostly you are not looking for an immediate restart after turning off a very hot motor.
Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

winddancer

Had that same problem found it was the starter changed it out to the new one from RPM and have not had a problem restarting. It still has a stall when I sit to long

Dan Filetti

Sounds like a hot/ tired starter to me too.  Had that same problem on a car once.

Dan
Live hardy, or go home. 

Pat Conlon

1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

yamaha fj rider

Had a problem like this once with my FJ, was a loose battery connection. Hope that's all it is.

Kurt 
93 FJ1200
FJ 09
YZ250X I still love 2 strokes
Tenere 700
FJR1300ES

nurse

Quote from: movenon on April 02, 2013, 05:03:32 PM
Plenty of idea's ! But look at the simple stuff first. Side stand switch, shorting kill switch? Has it been wet?  Of course put a volt meter on it to check the alternator output and battery. Speaking of the battery, clean up the terminals (including the ground lug onto the engine) and connectors. Even if it "looks" clean still unhook and clean the terminals. At least for a start. let us know how you come out.
George

All the switch gear seems fine, no shorts that I can tell, connections all clean.  Roads and bike where as dry as a bone.  Haven't had the chance to put a multimeter on it but I will do.

Quote from: Pat Conlon on April 02, 2013, 11:24:47 PM
Was your headlight dim?

Headlight wasn't on at that time so I couldn't say!

Dan and Noel my first thought was starter or alternator, but from what you say sounds like starter.  I will have a peak at rpm for options!
A life has been well lived, if you have planted trees under who's shade you do not expect to sit.

I'm told I'm cynical, pessimistic and generally miserable. I say that I'm realistic! The fact that reality sucks is not my fault!

flips

Hi nurse.

I experienced very similar problems with mine.Turned out to be worn brushes on the starter motor.Gave the commutator a good clean & installed new brushes.No problems for 3 years now.Hope this helps!

Cheers  :drinks:

Jeff P
Stay rubber side down.

ribbert

Next time you are out riding and the bike is hot, not just warmed up, turn it off and try and start it again immediatley.
If it does the same thing but starts 5 minutes later, it's the starter.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

movenon

We need to start a betting pool :yes: :yes:  
Thank goodness that everything is easy to get to and trouble shoot (FJ's are nice). If its the starter it is easy to fix or replace. I pulled my starter last year in hopes of converting it to a 4 brush but it didn't work out as planned. So I just cleaned up the commutator put new bushes in and reinstalled. I was just doing preventive routine inspection / maint. on it. Anyhow it did work better after the clean up. I would suggest IF the starter it is bad check with Randy or do a search and check into an upgraded starter. Hang in there, it's fixable. Have a good day over there.
George
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

nurse

I think a pool sounds like a great idea!!

I will have a play next time it is hot as suggested.  As soon as I work out what it is I will let you all know?

Woodsman

My starter refused and sounded real flat a few times. Decided to upgrade to the xjr starter from rpm. Good results can be had from reconditioning though. Think my new starter is waiting in the post office to be picked up, will find out in the morning.
Very annoying to have a bike that wont start when you are all geared up and heading for work. :mad:
"Man who chops his own wood heats himself twice"
87 fj1200,TBS,Daytona 900,NC30.

Woodsman

Old starter out. :negative: New starter in. :good2:
The auld horse is galloping now.  :dance2:
"Man who chops his own wood heats himself twice"
87 fj1200,TBS,Daytona 900,NC30.