News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

getting back at it

Started by dougrs, April 12, 2013, 01:55:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dougrs

Hey folks,

I pulled my '89 fj1200 out of the garage after sitting there for a couple years. I was finishing grad school, moved, got married, and unfortunately didn't ride it for a while. In the past few weeks I have installed a new battery, bled the brakes, bled the clutch line, installed new starter, new air filter, cleaned the carbs, and installed new fuel pump, lines and filter. I think that is it. The bike is running the best it ever has. It was running when I stopped riding it but could have used a few things then. The carb cleaning directions posted on the site were invaluable and made cleaning the carbs pretty easy.

-Doug
1989 Yamaha FJ1200
1994 BMW K75

Steve_in_Florida

Just wait until you sync the carbs! (unless you already did) Makes a WORLD of difference.

Steve

`90 FJ-1200
`92 FJ-1200

IBA # 54823

The General

Quote from: dougrs on April 12, 2013, 01:55:19 PM
Hey folks,

I pulled my '89 fj1200 out of the garage after sitting there for a couple years. I was finishing grad school, moved, got married, and unfortunately didn't ride it for a while. In the past few weeks I have installed a new battery, bled the brakes, bled the clutch line, installed new starter, new air filter, cleaned the carbs, and installed new fuel pump, lines and filter. I think that is it. The bike is running the best it ever has. It was running when I stopped riding it but could have used a few things then. The carb cleaning directions posted on the site were invaluable and made cleaning the carbs pretty easy.

-Doug
Welcome back mate. Ever noticed that Doug`s are the quiet & bashful type blokes prone ta slight exaggeration?  :sarcastic: Please don`t leave it another four years and try and catch up with Baldy while he`s on loan over there.  :drinks:
`93 with downside up forks.
`78 XS11/1200 with a bit on the side.
Special edition Rocket Ship ZX14R Kwacka

dougrs

Quote from: Steve_in_Florida on April 12, 2013, 03:01:37 PM

Just wait until you sync the carbs! (unless you already did) Makes a WORLD of difference.

Steve

Yes, I did sync the carbs and it definitely helped get her running well. The carb sync was pretty simple too, once  I got the gauges.
1989 Yamaha FJ1200
1994 BMW K75

movenon

Welcome Doug ! Glad to hear another FJ is on the road ! They are a great bike and the group allway's willing to help.
George
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

racerman_27410

Welcome to the group Doug  :hi:

good to have you on board with us and your motorcycle running excellant!

KOokaloo!  :good2:

Frank

baldy3853

Quote from: The General on April 12, 2013, 03:02:50 PM
Quote from: dougrs on April 12, 2013, 01:55:19 PM
Hey folks,

-Doug
Welcome back mate. Ever noticed that Doug`s are the quiet & bashful type blokes prone ta slight exaggeration?  :sarcastic: Please don`t leave it another four years and try and catch up with Baldy while he`s on loan over there.  :drinks:
:hi: Welcome aboard Doug The General is pretty close we are the quiet shy & bashful types  :biggrin: definitely prone to slight exaggerations  :biggrin:
Be nice to see you @ the WCR in Petaluma  :biggrin:
Baldy ( Doug)

fj11.5

welcome doug , , another fj woken  :good2: 
unless you ride bikes, I mean really ride bikes, then you just won't get it

84 Fj1100  effie , with mods
( 88 ) Fj 1200  fairly standard , + blue spots
84 Fj1100 absolutely stock standard, now more stock , fitted with Fj12 twin system , no rusted headers for this felicity jayne

Tiger

:hi: Hi and welcome to the mad house and congrats to returning to your FJ :good2:

John.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in an attractive & well preserved body...but rather to slide in sideways, body completely worn out and and with your last dying breath screaming, "HOOOYA LIFE, lets try that again"!!!

yamaha fj rider

Welcome Doug, great news getting the FJ back on the road. Good to hear that it is running well. How long have you had it?

Kurt
93 FJ1200
FJ 09
YZ250X I still love 2 strokes
Tenere 700
FJR1300ES

dougrs

Quote from: yamaha fj rider on April 13, 2013, 08:33:32 PM
Welcome Doug, great news getting the FJ back on the road. Good to hear that it is running well. How long have you had it?

Kurt

I got in in 2008, rode it a while and then got side tracked for a bit and it sat. I will be replacing the fork oil and getting some new rubber installed this week.
1989 Yamaha FJ1200
1994 BMW K75

FJmonkey

Welcome back to the asylum, we were wondering where you went.....  We try to keep tabs on all the FJs out there...
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

aviationfred

Welcome Doug, glad to hear that you are getting the FJ back on the road.  :hi:

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor