considering to buy '84 FJ1100, 34k miles, $1950 very clean - looking for advice

Started by 1984FJ1100, May 05, 2013, 12:11:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1984FJ1100

I just joined, looks like a great forum, I"ve been on the BMW MOA and Corvette forums for years, it's such a great community always and I look forward to learning a lot here - IF I buy this FJ I"m looking at later today.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/3738810003.html  is the craiglist ad with pics, the guy owns multiple bikes, sounds like a good dude.

I asked him about 2nd gear, at 34k miles he says he has no problems. I asked about the chain, I hear those are expensive to redo but I assume it's the original.

Any advice on whether I should jump on this bike, other things to look for? I"m seeing and riding it at 4pm today PST. I'm 61, have driven a 78 BMW R100S for the last 20 years so this bike will be an 'upgrade' to me, a modern bike!! I love the classic looks and colors and it sounds like the right combo of sport touring, comfort, reliability, etc. I'll mostly do day trips though who knows.

THANKS in advance for your input and advice.
DW

FJmonkey

Welcome DW, hard to tell from the pics but if the bike is in good shape and runs well, than that is a good deal. looks like it had a low speed incident, just cosmetic damage. I love the Red and Silver of the 84s, just don't look at Pat's 84'. Or if you do, not in direct sunlight without proper eye protection. I will have to check Pat's bike at night time during the rally, I am sure it has its own glow in the darkest of nights.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

1984FJ1100

THANKS, that's the kind of thumbs up from a knowledgeable owner I was looking for - at this price, if it seems to run ok and I get the continued feeling he's the kind of bike owner who does the maintenance (he has other bikes) I think I'm in.

so nothing else special to look for then, just what I've read, that 2nd gear is still solid (splitting the cases to fix would not be fun), and a possible chain replacement on the horizon that requires a decent amount of labor also.

FJmonkey

Check for missing paint around the clutch slave and filter cover. The FJ clutch slaves tend to leak with use, then the DOT 3 or 4 makes the ABS plastic of the belly pan brittle. look in the tank for rust. If possible ask him to leave the bike cold so you can hear it start up on the choke. Tire condition, tread depth, unusual wear, cracking from age. Take the seat off and look around, with 34K it should not be real dirty if cared for and garaged.

I know I am forgetting a few things so hopefully some others will offer more points to check.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

1984FJ1100

Quote from: FJmonkey on May 05, 2013, 12:46:29 PM
Check for missing paint around the clutch slave and filter cover. The FJ clutch slaves tend to leak with use, then the DOT 3 or 4 makes the ABS plastic of the belly pan brittle. look in the tank for rust. If possible ask him to leave the bike cold so you can hear it start up on the choke. Tire condition, tread depth, unusual wear, cracking from age. Take the seat off and look around, with 34K it should not be real dirty if cared for and garaged.

I know I am forgetting a few things so hopefully some others will offer more points to check.

Sounds like other than the 2nd gear, chain, and this issue you raise of leaking clutch fluid, it's all standard stuff - thanks, much appreciated!

aviationfred

You mentioned that 2nd gear was in good shape. Put a good chain on it and get your Kookaloo on.  :yahoo:

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

movenon

Welcome DW! I am 65 and rode a BMW RT 100 for many, many years. I took a vacation from motorcycling for 10 years and when I decided to get another bike and being on a budget I started looking at some older BMW's, RT's K bikes etc. and decided that I really wasn't comfortable with a bulky touring bike and backed off a bit.

I ran across a 1990 FJ on Craigslist and decided to go check it out. I really didn't think it was going to be the bike for me but when I sat on it my first thought was this seems to fit, the bars were a little forward for me, sounded and ran good, the seat was as comfortable as any BMW that I ever rode, and the price was good.
Needless to say I rode it home..... WOW I thought this things runs great (little did I realize at the time that I wasn't even running at 50% of the available power) ! The handling wasn't as sporty (quick) as I thought it should be but MUCH better than the RT 100. What I really like about it besides the power is that it sits fairly low and easy to balance at a stop, easy to get on for a quick runs, easier to handle for in town running. It isn't light  but the center of gravity is low like the RT 100 and feels lighter than what it is.

Over the years and notably the last year I have put 7/8 handlebars on, installed a luggage rack with a top box, bought some soft bags, tank bag, extra driving lights and this winter did some inspection R & R of some 20 plus year old parts. Also upgraded the wheels, tires and rear shock.

I am very happy with the FJ. Hard to beat it for what they cost. They were sold around the world for 10 years. Lots of parts and information available (much like the BMW's). And It would be hard to encounter a problem that someone else hasn't had and developed a fix for. The forum has ton's of reading and "how to's".
You can with a very minimum of special tools do 99% of your own maint.. Take a look at the "Files" section and a nice site for new parts is http://www.rpmracingca.com/products.asp?cat=39 Randy is a member here and very helpful.

Also check out the "Rally" section and take a look at the video's. Hope all that helps a little. I say ride it and check her out. In the pricing be aware it is 20 plus years old and will probably need a bit of TLC/upgrade. IMO usually no biggy. The exception is the second gear issue. That can run into some money and time to fix. But is fixable.
George
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

A11an0n

Chain replacement is a piece of cake, and if its the original i'd do it ASAP.
1986 FJ1200
2007 Yamaha WR250F

Pat Conlon

Quote from: A11an0n on May 06, 2013, 01:59:39 PM
Chain replacement is a piece of cake, and if its the original i'd do it ASAP.

Yep, with the brake lines right after that....
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

CanDman

:good2:.................  good to have you aboard.....this site is the best.....!!!! You will love it here !!!
CanDman
Never regret your choices in life ! There is no way to go back to do it again and compare. Make the most and do your best with every decision you make