News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Collection of basic maintenance information....

Started by europe50, September 28, 2009, 08:04:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

europe50

Hello all,
I would like to get a collection of basic maintenance information and part number(s) and what is recommended to replace early than late. Once I gather this info, I would like to ask the Moderator to post them at the top of this page permanently.

To build a data sheet I am looking for basic maintenance recommendations and part numbers, not aftermarket performance parts. (Unless it applies)
Engine oil?
Oil filter?
Trans fluid?
Spark plugs?
Spark plug replacement boots?
Carb kits recommended?
Petcock fix? <-- have this one thanks to Slowguy.
Additional clutch spring?
2nd gear fix?
Tach/speedo fix?

Even good salvage yards for FJ parts?

andyb

Seems kinda a waste of time to me, that's what a manual is for.

Oil:  Expect as many different answers as people on this forum.  The truth is most oil will work with few difficulties.  So long as you have enough oil and change it regularly, you're probably okay.  Stay away from "Energy Conserving" oils and synthetics if you're superstitious about clutch slippage.  Please note that 10w40 oils are not energy conserving rated, albeit a touch thinner than the fj would probably like.

Oil filter: The wisdom is to purchase a spin-on adapter and use a cannister type.  Again, you will hear as many answers as people post here.

Trans fluid: See oil.  It's shared between the trans and motor.

Plugs:  Any good quality plug will do nicely, the NGK number (to crossreference from) is DPR8EA9.

Plug replacement boots:  NGK makes lovely ones.

Carb kits: For jetting, a Factory Pro kit is superior to a DynoJet kit.  It's entirely possible to simply shim the needles up as desired (.020-.060 as required) and alter the size of the main and pilot jets.  V&H suggested many years ago with their SS2R system & pod filters that you go to a 125 main jet and 40 pilots, with the needles .020-.030 shimmed.  The FJ tolerates a wide range of jetting and will run reasonably well at any of them.

Additional Clutch Spring:  Use OEM clutch fibers/steels as a rule.  For added clamping force, you can double the spring with a secondary stock one; to save money order the FJR part as it's the same item but cheaper.  Other options include the spring conversion kit (use google) and there is also a lockup option for the truely insane motors.  When adding pressure to the spring assembly, a 14mm bore (stock is 5/8") master cylinder is a welcome improvement.  Look on ebay and such and see what looks best, as many different ones will work.

2nd gear:  http://fjowners.com/index.php?topic=666.0  Already posted, as is most of the rest of this information, nothing a good internet search wouldn't have given you.

Tach/speedo fix:  Fix what's broken?  A fix for which problem?  There's some who will replace the damping fluid within their guages, some use a heavier grease on the cables driving the speedo, some have to check the wiring at the coils, and some simply have to replace guages that have gone bad/worn out after 30 years of use (or disuse!)

Salvage Yards: www.ebay.com is a frequently used place to find parts.  You can also speak to engine builders for Legends cars, as they stock items frequently used; see the vendor area of this site.

europe50

Andy,
Thanks for the inromation. I just thought it would be nice to have a quick go-to guide and a trick and tips section on repairs that would not be in the manual.