News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

bike wont start

Started by 1Shito-ryu, June 05, 2013, 08:51:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1Shito-ryu

Hey guys, my fj 1200 cut off while i was riding home.  It want turn over, the lights want come on, the horn doesnt even work.  The only thing that works is the digital clock.  I put a new battery in it only a day before this happened.  I checked the only fuses I know of and they are fine.  What could it be?

FJmonkey

Quote from: 1Shito-ryu on June 05, 2013, 08:51:05 PM
Hey guys, my fj 1200 cut off while i was riding home.  It want turn over, the lights want come on, the horn doesnt even work.  The only thing that works is the digital clock.  I put a new battery in it only a day before this happened.  I checked the only fuses I know of and they are fine.  What could it be?

Not much Info to go on..... Welcome to the club dude, your first post eh?..... Sounds like a catastrophic battery failure from your limited info.... The digital clock needs very little voltage to work, if all else is out then you have not found the short/fuse or your new battery committed suicide.... Try to jiggle the start button... I fixed Mike's bike during the WCR ride over the weekend when he lost all lights. Took me 10 seconds to figure it out and 1 second to send him the $50 bill....  :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

movenon

You put a new battery in the day before...... Did you have the same problem before you changed the battery ?

Check your battery connections. If OK try another battery. A battery can operate  low current devices but fail under high current demands... It has happened to me with a new battery. If you have some jumper cables then use a car battery for a test.
And welcome !
George
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

ribbert

Quote from: 1Shito-ryu on June 05, 2013, 08:51:05 PM

On this limited information there are two clues that might give you a starting point.

1. The clock is only thing that gets power with the ignition off.
2. You have just been in there moving things around and disturbing the wiring and fittings while fitting the new battery.

I have for example seen many old battery connections where the cable is just sitting in the terminal and takes very little to lose the connection.

I would start with checking all the wiring around the battery, jiggle them around, give them a tug, make sure they are all sound.

The failure of a new battery to the point of cutting the motor out while running is possible but slim and wouldn't just stop dead, you would expect some progressive lack of performance and spluttering before it died.

It is very simple to check the battery and confirm or eliminate it as the problem.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"