News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

fork upgrade

Started by stephenmcd, June 13, 2013, 06:11:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

what would be a good fork swap upgrade

thinking fzr1000  triple shocks and wheel any pros to the swap
0 (0%)
what would be a good fork swap upgrade
1 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 1

stephenmcd

Stock 85 1100 wanting to upgrade my forks and front wheel what do I need obviously wheel axle triple and fprks

markmartin

stephenmcd

I apologize for my poor grammer. My phone goes haywire when I'm trying to post sometimes and wont let my type PR carrect properly

aviationfred

The most simple and maybe the most cost effective would be to find a set of 89'-93' FJ forks, A 17" stock FJ rim, or an 87'/88' FZR1000/750R rim, a set of brake rotors for the FJ 17" rim, and a set of fork springs and the fork valves from Randy @RPM. Put all of that together and you will have forks that come pretty damn close to modern cartridge style forks. No machining involved, speedo drive matches up and Every thing bolts together real nice and easy.

Fred

PS. I happen to have a spare, stock 17" Rim off of an 89'
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

Travis398

My forks came with the triples I already had a wheel...................... good by anti-dive

When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

FJmonkey

This site has so much documentation on front end upgrades it will make your head spin. How much do you want to spend? Do you need USD forks to get the chicks or are you above average in the hansom department? Do you want to upgrade to 17" wheel in the process to get better tire choices? I upgraded by changing the forks, added RPM valves, new wheel (& tire), new calipers, new rotors, fork brace, new master, braided lines and I even taped a Red Power Ranger to my front fender. The Ranger was free, the rest was not but it was all bolt on. I put about $1K into it all. It was worth every cent..... Now what are you after?
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

HARTLESS

Quote from: FJmonkey on June 13, 2013, 06:41:15 PM
Do you need USD forks to get the chicks or are you above average in the hansom department?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :blum2: :dance2:
STRIVE FOR PERFECTION, SETTLE FOR EXCELENCE

I ride HARTLESS or don't ride at all!

stephenmcd

I want to say goodbye to antidive. Larger wider wheel. And :dance2: I would like to set up blue or gold dot calipers

stephenmcd

That's just a start. Then the big project begun :-D gonna fabricate a 996 single sided swing arm some how to make it my own

FJmonkey

Quote from: stephenmcd on June 13, 2013, 07:14:39 PM
I want to say goodbye to antidive. Larger wider wheel. And :dance2: I would like to set up blue or gold dot calipers
Then you need 89' and up forks (lowers will do), the FZR1000 87/88 front wheel will bolt on and use the speedo hub to get you 17" x 3.5" wheel. The 298 MM rotors for the 89+ FJ (the Arashi wave rotors are my choice with HH pads), RPM valves are a must. Braided lines since you old lines should have been replaced a few times over anyway. OEM FJ calipers or Blue/Gold dots if you can afford them. Then some modern rubber and you are all set.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Picopower

No apology necessary for me, I can read, and new what you meant.
1985 FJ1100
1975 GL1000
1976 GL1000
1976 BMW2002