News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

1988 FJ 1200

Started by ProfAH, June 14, 2013, 10:38:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ProfAH

In April 2013 I bought the bike locally for $1000. The owner I bought it off had dropped it on its right side which put the fear of God into him and he never rode it since. The bike was parked in his yard for many years exposed to the elements.

Amazingly the bike fired up once a battery was installed, and I cautiously rode it home. The speedo read 34000kms (doubt if it is original) but actually rode well apart from the buckle in the front wheel.

I stripped the bike down to bare frame and progressively went through everything. Was surprised to find the motor in an extremely good condition (possibly rebuilt) and it appeared the sprockets and chain wear near new too. (Now wondering about mileage again :nea: )

Sorry no stripped down pics, started taking photos when I started on respray.

Motor and frame repainted then assembled, then fiberglass repairs to fairing, repainted tank (smallest of dents discovered).

Good scrub up of rear wheel and new tyre, sourced S/H front wheel from junk yard and scrubbed that up. Just about to do the fork seals but needed to find a new front fender, the parts forum have supplied that info for me now.

Today I am going to repair the air intake ducts with fiberglass, and will take more pics.

So back into the garage

fj11.5

She looks great, your lucky she came with a bellypan,they're about as hard to find in good condition second hand as front gaurds
unless you ride bikes, I mean really ride bikes, then you just won't get it

84 Fj1100  effie , with mods
( 88 ) Fj 1200  fairly standard , + blue spots
84 Fj1100 absolutely stock standard, now more stock , fitted with Fj12 twin system , no rusted headers for this felicity jayne

ProfAH

The belly pan did have some damage from the drop

start of the repair

Left side air intake ducts had the whole corner broken off it yet no damage to the fairing on that side, so can only guess it has been repaired before from other bikes.

When sanding the parts down to bare metal the fuel tank was genuinely red, but the side panels have the gold to silver insert which I have only seen on the black coloured bikes.

The right side ait intake duct will require a bit of work, behind I have fiber glassed to strengthen it back up, will have to bog/bondo the outside shape again.

Found a seller in the UK that does reproduction decals so have ordered a set continuing the gold to silver theme.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/300784343608?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649  

Tomorrow will be another day on the resto

fj11.5

Ouch, just a bit of damage, , how's the repair holding up mate
unless you ride bikes, I mean really ride bikes, then you just won't get it

84 Fj1100  effie , with mods
( 88 ) Fj 1200  fairly standard , + blue spots
84 Fj1100 absolutely stock standard, now more stock , fitted with Fj12 twin system , no rusted headers for this felicity jayne

VaughanCustoms

Very nice, and great repair work man.
Built not bought is always my motto.
1967 Mercury Cougar 289 4V bored .30 over forged internals full ground up build
1998 Ford Mustang Cobra convertible DOHC 4.6 .30 over forged internals, future turbo car. 400 rwhp.
1984 Yamaha FJ1100 street fighter V&H exhaust, re-jet, K&N pods.

MatYl

ProfAH

Been a while since I posted so I thought I throw in some completed pictures

Finished paint work just before the decals went on

The finished Bike now with 1200 extra kilometers added to its life :)

TexasDave

Alot of work went into that bike but it certainly paid off. Beautiful gold and red color scheme. Just the right balance of gold,red,black and silver. I like it.   :good2:   Dave
A pistol is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have one you will never need one again.

Joe Sull

Really nice looking machine.
You Keep What you kill

Alf

Very good job!. I like the colours. And the cans look fantastic

keand3

What did you use for your fairing repair?
It looks to me that the old repair on the fairing has been done with fiberglass? Am I correct? If yes, you might want to take a closer look at it from time to time when you have the fairings of. ABS and fiberglass don't got well together... (Ask me how I know..... :dash2:)

But It's a nice bike you got there! I love the color!

Keep photos coming :good2:

Cheers

Ken
Whant to check out my photos on the bike??
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=828DDEC8DF631CA5%21103