News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Hello from Minnesota everyone!

Started by Motoguy, June 22, 2013, 11:42:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Why do hot dogs come in packs of ten and hot dog buns come in packs of eight?

It's a government cospiracy
5 (71.4%)
Who cares! Have a hot dog
2 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Motoguy

Greetings from Minneapolis. I am not exactly new on this site. I have been an registered with FJ owners since I bought my 31K miles 1990 FJ1200 a couple of years ago. I wanted to wait for my introduction until I had my bike where I wanted it to be, just didn't think it would take so long. I haven't owned a road bike for 9 or 10 years now, I found the FJ on CL and brought it home for $1400. It seemed like a solid bike that just needed a little TLC. I have always wanted an FJ and would have had one brand new in 89 if my dealer would have offered me a reasonable trade for my 86 FZ600.  All of the parts were on the bike but the front fender was sawed off where the color ends, the speedo window was cracked and the windscreen was painted black with a hole drilled for a radar detector and a leaky valve cover gasket. Tires were in good shape paint pretty good for a bike this age no dents a couple cracked tabs and 2 keysets to operate everything and a brand new battery. Before even logging 300 miles the bikes and mods on this site had me dreaming. The first thing that I had to do just for safety was the rear shock the stock one just had no damping at all, I got a Penske from Traxxion dynamics linked  from this site. That made me want the confidence of 17" radials so 3.5x17 front from 88 FZR1k 5.0x17 rear from YZF 600 with the mod instructions from this site. Wrapped Mich road pilot 3 120/17 and 170/17 on them. Now I need to stop so Blue dot R6 fronts with SS lines and R6 master. Also decided to go that way with feedback from here, I found an easy cheap way to mount the urine cup. Now I can feel the clutch slip when kookalooing so Barnett clutch disk. While I am at it slave cylinder rebuild. It is now winter and since I never did really trust how it started (barely turned over but would fire right away never started w/out a jump if parked for a week or more) I decided to go through the carbs,check compression, adjust valves and install new valve cover gasket.The carbs cleaned up easy but I broke one of the float towers and had to get new carbs off of e-bay. Compression test showed 2 cylinders low so I looked at valve clearances and changed out shims to correct things. A big shout out to ST Boni Motorsports in St. Bonifacious MN these guy let me bring in my old shims and exchange them for different sizes free of charge. So I got it all together and it still wouldn't start like it should, New starter motor. Now it turns over like it should but still not lighting off w/o a charger on it. 9.6 volts at the cdi (got schematics from this site). I installed a relay cotrolled by the ignition on/off switch and brought 12V directly to the CDI. Bingo! I actually got this mod from a buddy with a really old gold wing 1000. Now it pops right off but after riding for 15 minutes or so it would idle at 2300 rpm, details in another post  any carb synching fixed that. She is now a Beast and an absolute pleasure to drive. Thanks to all the FJ enthusiasts here for getting me back into riding on the road again. And to other newbies Be careful of modding your FJ, It is a slippery slope. Next I am going after the forks and then........!

Motoguy

FJmonkey

Welcome Motoguy, may the kokaloo be with you...
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Pat Conlon

Very cool Jeff, we love a success story.
You have a beauty for sure. The time and effort you put in her is evident and the rewards are yet to come.
You ended up with a modern classic hot rod for a initial investment of $1400, not too bad laddie.

You did good. Kudos! Enjoy her.
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

rktmanfj

That's a beauty!

Glad you finally made it to the fire...    :good:

Randy T
Indy

Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
Psalms 144:1

'89 FJ1200
'90 FJ1200
'78 XT500
'88 XT350

JPaganel

1993 FJ1200 ABS

1984 FJ600, up on blocks

1986 FJ1200, flaming wreck, repaired and sold
1986 FJ1200, repaired, ridden, sold

I don't want a pickle
I just want to ride my motorcicle

movenon

Welcome ! I like your bike ! How do you like your windscreen. Thinking about putting one of those on order.
George
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

The General

:hi: Wow what an intro! I`m glad there`s no Anti Vanine for that slippery slope. Great Story, Great Bike.
`93 with downside up forks.
`78 XS11/1200 with a bit on the side.
Special edition Rocket Ship ZX14R Kwacka

fj11.5

Welcome mate, don't worry about your forks, just buy the valves from RPM and never worry about bumps again :good2:
unless you ride bikes, I mean really ride bikes, then you just won't get it

84 Fj1100  effie , with mods
( 88 ) Fj 1200  fairly standard , + blue spots
84 Fj1100 absolutely stock standard, now more stock , fitted with Fj12 twin system , no rusted headers for this felicity jayne

Motoguy

Here is a pic of the R6 master cyl. res. mount. It won't link up unless in FJ bike photos.

craigo

If you use imageshack, you need to use the direct link when posting pics. I'm sure the other photo sites have the same protocol.

CraigO
CraigO
90FJ1200

craigo

BTW, I forgot to mention what a beautifully modded FJ you have there. I love the midnite blue 90 and even had one once.

Welcome to the clubhouse,

CraigO
CraigO
90FJ1200

fj11.5

Yep, what craigo said, I've allways like that colour fj too, ,, oh and if you would like a funky ss bracket for your master cylinder,  check out fjmonkey,s
unless you ride bikes, I mean really ride bikes, then you just won't get it

84 Fj1100  effie , with mods
( 88 ) Fj 1200  fairly standard , + blue spots
84 Fj1100 absolutely stock standard, now more stock , fitted with Fj12 twin system , no rusted headers for this felicity jayne