News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Greetings from Columbus, WI! (USA)

Started by iMav, June 23, 2013, 06:23:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iMav

Have been looking at an FJ and decided to pop in here and introduce myself.

I have owned motorcycles pretty much constantly since I first started riding in 1982.  I currently own a 2010 BMW R1200RT and a 2004 Triumph Thruxton.  In the recent past, I owned a couple of ZRX's, so I enjoy this class of motorcycle.

I'm actually dumping the Thruxton because, although it looks fantastic, it's simply not that enjoyable for me to ride.  With the RT handling all my motorcycle "heavy lifting" (I do a lot of distance riding), I want something that is fun, classic, and instills a bit of nostalgia in myself and those that come across it.  The FJ fits the bill!

Specifically, I am looking at a 1989 FJ1200 that is VERY clean.  If everything goes as planned, I'll be posting pics here in a few days.

Here is a link to pics of my Thruxton...for those that are interested.

fj11.5

Welcome mate, awesome trumpy,  I've loved those since they first came out, along with the new style of ducati cafe racer,, but the fj,s do everything you could ask of one bike, hope you find a decent one,plenty still around to chose from :good2:

Rod
unless you ride bikes, I mean really ride bikes, then you just won't get it

84 Fj1100  effie , with mods
( 88 ) Fj 1200  fairly standard , + blue spots
84 Fj1100 absolutely stock standard, now more stock , fitted with Fj12 twin system , no rusted headers for this felicity jayne

movenon

Welcome.!!They are a fun bike just to get on and ride. Let us know what you get.
George
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

iMav

Picked it up and brought it home!  Here are some pics (click on images for larger versions):

craigo

Dang, she's a beauty!!! Funny how when I look at FJs now, I see the mods that need to be done. I am now one of the sick ones here.

Nice buy and welcome.

CraigO
CraigO
90FJ1200

iMav

Quote from: craigo on June 24, 2013, 08:07:54 PM
Dang, she's a beauty!!! Funny how when I look at FJs now, I see the mods that need to be done. I am now one of the sick ones here.
Well, tell me what mods I need to do!

I am trying to look through the site and find the popular/useful ones...but suggestions would be very welcome!!

Two minor issues I've noticed so far:

- the fuel gauge needle bounces all over the place (but appears to be functions)
- the right mirror is a bit loose and vibrates...making it hard to see in it at speed.  The left is rock solid.

aviationfred

Welcome to the group.  :hi:

Wow, what a beauty you found. I wish mine was that shiny and had been taken care of as well as your fine example.

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

Dan Filetti

Welcome here. There is a discussion going on now about the fuel guage bouncing:

http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=9390.msg91258#msg91258

Cheers Dan
Live hardy, or go home. 

FJmonkey

Welcome, very cleen looking bike you have there. The gateway mod is typically the RPM spin-on oil filter adapter. A simple bolt on fix, suddenly oil changes are easier with automotive style filters. Keeping the cost low but still nice bang for the buck is upgrading to HH brake pads. Good grab but not over the top. Headlight relay is good and low cost, it allows the lamp to get power directly from the battery with out changing any functions. Or for $60 to $70 you can install an HID system and have the power of the sun shooting out front. This however is under contention as some have had failures while others enjoy the reliability and gobs more light. Note: more than one brand is out there. Braided brake lines, 17" rear wheel, RPM fork valves (awesome), PRM rear shock, Fork brace... The list is longer but I think you get the point. The FJ can keep getting beter.... Enjoy your Kookaloo my friend...
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

craigo

The Monkey just gave you a list, and you have such a nice clean example to start with.

The first thing I would do it get rid of those 24 year old rubber brake lines. They could very well rupture and well, no brakes. Next, speaking of brakes, go for the blue spots calipers, HH pads and a 14mm master. With the SS lines, that'll make her stop so much better. Remember, safety first and don't forget new crush washers.

Then 17" wheel upgrade.. Then the RPM fork valves and brace. Then the rear shock. That'll take care of your suspension needs as power is nothing without control.

But Mark is right about one thing, that RPM spin on oil filter is a gateway drug. Once you start, you will just want to do more. Every mod outlined has a good benefit and once your done, your FJ will be as nice as anything out there for 3 times the money.

Enjoy her, take care of her and she'll give you so much joy back.

Cheers,

CraigO

PS, looking at your photos again, I noticed that there is no oil in the sight window. Was she on the side stand?
CraigO
90FJ1200

iMav

Quote from: craigo on June 25, 2013, 12:18:58 AMI noticed that there is no oil in the sight window. Was she on the side stand?

Yes, it is on the side stand.  :)

BTW, can't find the spin-on filter conversion on RPM's site.  Can someone provide a direct link?

rktmanfj

Quote from: iMav on June 25, 2013, 10:43:43 AM
Quote from: craigo on June 25, 2013, 12:18:58 AMI noticed that there is no oil in the sight window. Was she on the side stand?

Yes, it is on the side stand.  :)

BTW, can't find the spin-on filter conversion on RPM's site.  Can someone provide a direct link?

http://www.rpmracingca.com/proddetail.asp?prod=spinonfilteradapter&cat=39

Randy T
Indy

Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
Psalms 144:1

'89 FJ1200
'90 FJ1200
'78 XT500
'88 XT350

Motoguy

Welcome to the group! That bike looks really clean and ready to ridden as it should be. If your suspension feels OK, the first things I would do is a 17" rear hoop and new tires. R6 (blue dot) front calipers are awesome too. After that stuff is done... the rest will follow as you will see your own light to follow. This is a great site to do research on upgrades or problems, everyone is very helpful and there is always someone who experienced your same situation with your bike. I love it! Enjoy your new/old bike!

iMav

So, why is the 17" rear wheel so highly recommended?

jscgdunn

You will find that for the stock wheel tire selection is limited.  There are only one or two (Avon, Michelin) supplying radials and you are also limited to the 150 width. 

Jeff
92 FJ1200 2008 ZX14 Forks, wheels, 2008 cbr 600 RR swingarm
92 FJ1200 2009 R1 Swinger, Forks, Wheels, 2013 CBR 1000 Shock
90 FJ 1200 (Son # 2), Stock
89 FJ 1200 Built from parts: (Brother bought it) mostly 92 parts inc. motor
84 FJ 1100 (Son #1), 89 forks wheels, blue spots