News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Clutch handle freeplay

Started by johnny o, June 27, 2013, 11:14:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnny o

I just became a member in the FJowners family.  I felt the clutch last night coming back from the city and noticed that the engage/slack on the handle is more than it was, close to the grip before it disengages, and I don't see any leakage at the slave or anywhere for that matter, Master or slave?

jscgdunn

Check this post out:

http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=9527.msg90878#msg90878

You might want to pull the three bolts out of the slave and just see if it is dry (do not start engine or pull lever while slave is off).

If it is dry try bleeding.

Jeff
92 FJ1200 2008 ZX14 Forks, wheels, 2008 cbr 600 RR swingarm
92 FJ1200 2009 R1 Swinger, Forks, Wheels, 2013 CBR 1000 Shock
90 FJ 1200 (Son # 2), Stock
89 FJ 1200 Built from parts: (Brother bought it) mostly 92 parts inc. motor
84 FJ 1100 (Son #1), 89 forks wheels, blue spots

johnny o

I will do that Jeff, and get back to you, I have been reading some of the posts regarding the bleeding and such, gravity bleeding has always done me good as the starting point, when doing rebuild or replacement, is that not the case here, as well?  Thanks dude

jscgdunn

Because the fluid in the ones I have been doing lately has been brown (probably never flushed) I take the opportunity to flush the old fluid completely through the system, using the method I described.  Once you see clean, clear fluid coming up the tube tighten the bleeder.  A bit of teflon tape on the bleeder screw is a good idea.

Make sure you keep the reservoir topped up.  This has worked very well for me.

Regards,

Jeff

johnny o

Good info Jeff; I am going to my brothers house tomorrow, he has a garage with everything I need (supplies/tools), and jeff i looked real close at the slave, without taking it off, no leaks that I can see, nonetheless, i will take the three bolts out tomorrow, before I do anything, as you mentioned earlier, if all looks good, I will bleed per your advice, thoroughly, and bleed.  Thanks dude,  Listen is there a good spot online to get parts such as (chain & sproket sets, front frok seal assemblies, etc...) yamahapartshouse I know about through reading blogs, also I remember reading through some posts and came across an uploaded repair manual, but did not maker it as a favorite, and be damned if I can't remember where it was???

Once again, Thanks Jeff
Always Johnny - FTW "Forever on Two Wheels"

jscgdunn

The best place to start is:

http://rpmracingca.com/

Randy can get all Yamaha parts and will provide you incredible service and technical support.  This guy has forgot more about FJs than 99 percent (Fjowners forum devotees excepted, of course, we are the one percent...hey that has a catchy ring to it) of owners will ever know.

Regards,

Jeff

johnny o

That's cool, I would prefer to keep it in the Family, without a doubt!  and thanks again for all the... I will log back in after the above is done and let you know the outcome. "Forever on  Two Wheels"  FTW

johnny o

Jeff, I did as you mentioned, first I pulled the master cover and realized it was half full, top it off. replaced cover.  Removed the slave, and there it was... It had been leaking for a while, caked up etc.  I reinstated the slave, and will being getting the slave rebuild kit from Randy this week.  I did ride the bike back from my brothers, and after pumping the clutch a few times it is back to a full clutch again, so in short the low level was the result, of course, to the leak that you mentioned in a earlier post to me.  Nonetheless, it will be kept up to the full mark until I get the slave taken care of.. Thanks again my brother, good info, talk to you soon when it is complete.

Always Johnny O