News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Headlight adjuster U-joint

Started by JPaganel, July 02, 2013, 07:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JPaganel

My initial attempt to find this failed. Apparently, these things break on every bike and there aren't really replacements.

I remembered that RC boats and cars use very similar joints. I measured the adjuster shaft and found it to be 5mm in diameter. Researching the joints I found they come in 5mm, but only on one end. The other end is usually a 4mm. So, I got one of those. It's slightly larger than the original, and it's stainless steel. It also has set screws.

I am going to try to cut the 4mm end into a square hole to match the original. So far, I'm thinking dremel. Any other suggestions?
1993 FJ1200 ABS

1984 FJ600, up on blocks

1986 FJ1200, flaming wreck, repaired and sold
1986 FJ1200, repaired, ridden, sold

I don't want a pickle
I just want to ride my motorcicle

FJmonkey

Quote from: JPaganel on July 02, 2013, 07:07:15 PM
My initial attempt to find this failed. Apparently, these things break on every bike and there aren't really replacements.

I remembered that RC boats and cars use very similar joints. I measured the adjuster shaft and found it to be 5mm in diameter. Researching the joints I found they come in 5mm, but only on one end. The other end is usually a 4mm. So, I got one of those. It's slightly larger than the original, and it's stainless steel. It also has set screws.

I am going to try to cut the 4mm end into a square hole to match the original. So far, I'm thinking dremel. Any other suggestions?

Keep searching, a member used a 1/4 drive U-Joint to fix this.. It has been done...
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

cyclenutk75

Here it is:    http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=7513.0GT

Just whipped one of these up myself yesterday. Works great.  Windancer - thanks for sharing.

GT                     
Simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought.

FJ_Hooligan

I know it's annoying to have something broken on your FJ, but really, how many times do you need to adjust your headlight?

I can't remember the last time I touched (or needed) that adjuster.

Hooligan
DavidR.