News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

1st Post - Need some guidance

Started by jasonblood, July 07, 2013, 09:52:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jasonblood

This is year 2 for my '86 FJ1200 and I'm only at 2000 miles. This is my 3rd bike, the others, both Yamaha's: '80 XS850SG and '79 XS1100S. I almost pasted on this bike. 6000 miles in year 1 has made me a believer.

This forum has infinite knowledge. I was able to find out why my headlight/cluster lights were cutting out, and how to fix it in a matter of minutes. Now I'm looking to find the same bits of info to find out why my cluster is vibrating/shaking. Can anyone point me to pics, vids, or detailed directions as it seems there are so many posts with "cluster"?

Thanks in advance and I look forward for all the help. -Jb

FJmonkey

Welcome Jason, happy you can join us...
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

movenon

Welcome to the forum ! Drop into the 'Running Problems" area of the fourm and ask about the cluster , Hopefully its just a lose mounting.  :good2: Not to much you can't fix yourself with a little help.
George
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

FJ_Hooligan

The rubber grommets have shrunk a bit.  Get the instrument cluster out and grind a small amount of the length off of the center tube that the mounting screw goes through to tighten it back up.

Only remove a small amount of the tube.  If you make it too tight it'll get too much vibration and things will start failing (bulbs and gauges).

Hooligan
DavidR.